
The middle of August to beyond the middle of September is always a significant time of year to me. September 16, 1991 was the last 24 hour day that I had with Ashleigh (click here if you would like to read about it). Today was very different than that day of twenty-one years ago. The best part of today was going to see Mason in his primary program. He sat so reverently on the stand, he said his part perfectly, and he sang the songs with all of his heart. Of course I had to sneak a few glances at my baby boy, the proud daddy who had a big smile on his face... which brought tears to my eyes as I reflected on primary programs of not so long ago.
I realize that this time of year is significant to many others as well. On the 15th my niece Megan celebrated her twenty-first birthday. Megan was born less than 36 hours before Ashleigh passed away. As I looked at pictures that Megan just posted on facebook I can't believe she is already twenty-one... she is a beautiful young woman, inside and out.
September 17th is Caitlin's half birthday. She was born exactly 18 months after Ashleigh passed away. I am so grateful for Caitlin, she blesses my life daily. She is my best girlfriend. In some ways I think she saved me.
I have been blessed with some dear friends, and consequently, their daughters are my dear friends as well.
Stephanie Johnson Lambert was married on September 17th. I remember that day so well as I was privileged to be there in the temple with her. I was so happy for Steph. What a happy September 17th.
I remember the September 17th when Charity Johnson Dabel received the most precious gift as her baby son Kadon was placed in her arms. Kadon makes me happy every time I see him as he greets me with a huge smile and enthusiastic wave.
Two of the men in my life; my brother Alan and my grandson James share September 12th birthdays.
There are some sad and tragic memories associated with these few days in September. Six days before the 10th anniversary of Ashleigh's death was 9/11. I will never forget that day.
I had only one cousin that was my age and he passed away when he was seven... September 17th would be his 54th birthday.
Happy and sad... good and bad memories; some of the circumstances that make life... life. Of course tender memories surface each September 17th (which I like to refer to as "Ashleigh's Day"), bringing with them waves of emotions including tears and sometimes sadness... but also feelings of love and peace and the assurance that we will be together again.
Here's hoping that this September 17th will be a joyous one with happy new memories to add to the list.
6 comments:
Not much to say Les. Just hugs. And hoping this 17th is a day filled with hope at the Legers.
I love that when I think of my dearest friends and those that bless my life--you are always among them. Love you. xx
eeYou can add Gary to the list of Birthdays on Sept. 17. :-O
What a sweet blog post. September has always been a settling down month for me. I don't have any monumental memories attached like you do, Lesley. I just get an overall feeling of peace from September as the year settles into its final arch of beauty before the leaves fall from the trees, frost takes all the flowers, and snow and ice become the prevalent weather features.
Before we went on our mission we went to D'land on the 17th Sept. with your family. You are a great lady and a great example to us all. Love you.
It's just a pleasure knowing you and being part of your family!
Hugs, kisses, more hugs and some squidges for good measure.
I'm so grateful you've had so many wonderful people in your life to make the sweet times sweeter, and the hard times survivable...
Post a Comment