Friday, January 23, 2009

A Sad Tale

This is how the end of my hallway used to look.It doesn't look like that now. I was awakened abruptly by a loud crash at exactly 1:20 am on Monday morning. I was disoriented for a moment and then got out of my bed to see "what was the matter" and this is what I found. My little red flower pot lying on the floor broken, with it's little flecks of fake dirt all around it (this picture is a re-creation of the crime, the evidence had already been swept away).The culprit (she who cannot be named) had a "convincing" explanation. She was going to her room (at 1:20 am?) wrapped in her favorite quilt (Granma made it, how do you get mad at a child wrapped in Granma's quilt) when her quilt knocked into the plant stand and....well, as you can see the rest is history. Now certainly I can understand an accident to be sure. But then the excuses start. "That really isn't a good place for that plant Mom, that was bound to happen." Now I must say at this point that those plants have been there a couple of years and never been disturbed. Next comment from the guilty, "I really didn't like that flower anyway, it didn't look very good." Should I be offended? I loved my red flower. So I decided maybe I'd try something new (I didn't really have a choice).So I thought I'd put it out there and ask for some opinions.
How about this? Is it to much?Or this? I really don't want my London clock to end up all over the floor.I really do love my red flower. Do you think anyone would notice this? It is clear down at the end of the hall after all.I'm open for suggestions. If you have an idea, even for a complete change I'd love you to share.

9 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm not one for decorating tips (I have 2 good friends that help me with that.) But, #1 why was Caitlin going to bed so late/early? #2 I laughed when I heard her 'excuses.'

Lilian said...

I didn't like picture number one.

I too would be saddened at the thought of the London clock smashed to the floor.

I think you should leave the broken pot with the red flower there. As a reminder to the guilty.

Karalee said...

I didn't like the first picture either.
I'd put the red flower in the pot from pic#1.
OR in another pot! I love the red and the shape is right for that spot:)
I can also empathize with the "teenage going to bed at dawn" thing. I haven't slept soundly or through the night since Tyler turned 12. Seriously.

em said...

Too bad! That flower DID look cute there! Hmmm...I will look at it in person tomorrow, and will tell you my opinion! ;)

BobN said...

A few thoughts come to mind.

1. Put the flower back there as-is. Probably that would get old though

2. Put the flower back there, in a pot that is more fall-on-floor friendly.

3. Place a special stuffed bear on there instead of the flower. Or something similar. I can picture Alana's Mrs. Beasley being very comfortable in such a setting.

Kristin said...

I didn't read your blog until I got home from your house tonight so I didn't look at it in person. If it were me (and believe me, there have been plenty of broken pots and such at my house), I would try to super glue the pot back together and put that part towards the wall. If that doesn't work, keep your eyes out for something about that size. The others didn't work as well. Or, you could just leave it bare.:)

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Can you break off the rest of the broken pot and re-pot the red flowers? If you love them that much then you should keep them. Like I sometimes say to my kids, "I love you, you are cute. But it's my hallway, and I'll decorate it any stinking way I want."

Lesley said...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd already decided before I wrote the post that I would try and re-pot the plant (also Marivic's idea). I couldn't re-glue it (Kristin's Idea) because I'd already thrown the broken pieces away, but I do have it turned around so that the broken part can't be seen. It was a fun post and I loved everyone's input. Anyone else with ideas feel free to still share.

Margie said...

I love your red flower!! I'm sure you will figure out a good solution. You are very talented in your decorating!! Let us know what you finally decide on.

I love the culprit too!!