Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I'm Proud To Be An American


Two weeks ago our family commemorated our 50th anniversary of coming to America. To celebrate this important milestone, about two-thirds of the family gathered at my home and we listened to/recorded Granpa and Granma as they shared their story with us. Although the younger children don't yet understand, I don't think that there is an adult in the family who doesn't realize that each and every member of our families lives have been affected because of our parents/grandparents decision to come here. I am so grateful for my parents faith and obedience.


We had been in the country just less than seven years when my parents became United States citizens. This was another wonderful thing that they did for me and my two brothers. We became citizens automatically as our parents received their citizenship. I can remember going to the courthouse in Ogden and watching this solemn ceremony take place. Again, I am grateful to my parents.


Today is an important day for our country. As citizens we have the responsibility and the privilege of voting for a President. I voted last week, and as I returned to my car after casting my ballot I was overcome with emotion as I contemplated what I had just taken the opportunity to do. I hope that I never take that for granted. I will never forget the election of 1980. We had a young family then and were living in a rural community. Mike and I drove several miles to a different town where we were to vote; it was late in the evening and the line was long, by the time I actually voted I knew that Ronald Reagan had already won the election, but I was so proud and excited to cast my vote for him. I also remember the election of 1968 when I was in the 5th grade. Our teacher held an election in our class. I remember proudly voting for Richard M. Nixon. He won in a landslide in Mr. Christensen's class that year... as he did in the real election.

As citizens we have the right to vote for the person of our choice. Some people are very private about their choice while others seem to be campaigning for theirs. I feel that I have paid close attention to the issues during this election, and I felt prepared to cast my vote. After voting last week I proudly wore my 'I Voted' sticker all day. I was surprised when a customer at the deli asked me who I voted for. There were a few people in the vicinity whose attention immediately turned to me and to see what my reaction was. I can proudly say that I spoke without hesitation, and with kindness, as I answered... "hopefully the winner."

6 comments:

Alan said...

I hope you voted for the winner too, Les. BTW, I'm proud to be the first American in our family.

Lilian said...

I hope you voted for the winner too! I am about to leave and cast my own vote.

Some think their vote doesn't count, but all votes count when it comes to being able to voice your opinions/complaints/etc.

Stecky said...

I am proud of you. I am too hope to get to the polls shortly. I have very conflicting emotions at voting times, but I am grateful for a voice. I also love that you witnessed your gratitude for our promised land. It is an incredible place. Beautiful and free!

Stecky said...

I have no idea what my second sentence syas but...you get it.

Bea said...

thanx for this beautiful blog. Look at that family as you remember we came with 3 kids and 2 suitcases.

Stecky said...

I have to add this comment because I think it every time I see the post title..."At least you know you're free!"

Thanks for the laughs while we were ding dongs
Love you