The White Rose of York is an adopted symbol of all of Yorkshire which we refer to as the Yorkshire Rose. I'm a sentimental person. When Caitlin was born a year after Michael and I visited England in 1992 I felt that Rose was the perfect middle name for a part English/Irish little girl that was born on St. Patrick's Day. Caitlin Rose. See what I mean? After recently spending time in Yorkshire together I found out that the Yorkshire Rose is named after her.... at least, according to Caitlin it is.
We spent six days with my Uncle Derek and Auntie Dorothy traveling through Yorkshire and other places ("other places" will be on another post). Our first full day in England was a Sunday. Caitlin and I attended church with Derek while Dorothy prepared us a lovely Yorkshire dinner which partly consisted of... Yorkshire pudding of course. My dad was born and raised in Yorkshire so after dinner we took a drive to see important "dad/granpa" landmarks. This is where my dad went to school, played football (soccer), sang in the church choir, joined the LDS church, worked hard, and as a young boy he helped take care of his two younger siblings while his widowed mother and older siblings went to work. It is an emotional experience to walk the streets that my dad walked, thousands of miles from where he lives now in what seems like a lifetime ago. If you are blessed to know my dad you know of his gift of a sense of humor. Before leaving on our trip he reminded us to be sure and take time to polish the plaque situated on the house where he was born. I learned something in England. You don't get a plaque on your house until you've been dead twenty years... and you're famous. John Lennon's house has a plaque. He's famous and has been dead for more than twenty years. Dad... you don't yet qualify for a plaque.

3 comments:
Thank you for sharing. Hopefully one day we can visit, but for now, your beautiful pictures and words are wonderful enough.
-Jared
Thanks so much for the pictures and words. You brought back lots of memories of my Mom.
I love being able to take the trip with you without spending the money and that long plane ride. Keep them coming!
Post a Comment