Two weeks ago I arrived home after 15 days in Great Britain. I've finally loaded the pictures onto the computer and now it's time to blog. I'm doing this mostly for me as I consider my blog to be a journal of sorts, and although I kept a daily journal whilst on my trip, I would like to go into better detail here. You are invited to come along if you'd like, but these posts may be lengthy. I know there are readers and scanners out there. For the readers you will undoubtedly enjoy the details, and for the scanners, I will type in bold the highlights so you can pick and choose what you want to read. I wasn't quite sure how to format my Britain posts, so... I'm just going to start at the very beginning, they say it's a very good place to start.
More than five years after the initial idea and one year after the "we'll go next year" commitment, and six months after the applications for passports which means we-are-going-to-go-because-I'm-not-paying-this-much-money-for-nothing commitment, and four months after the airline tickets were purchased which constitutes major financial commitment... Caitlin and I boarded a plane and headed to London, England at which point I turned to her and said with a twinkle in my eye, "now do you believe we are going to England?"
It was early in the morning on April 12 that I arose from my comfortable bed after a sleepless night. You know the kind of night I mean, when you set the alarm for an early hour but you're afraid to sleep just in case you don't hear it. The bags were all packed the night before so it didn't take long before we were ready to leave. After a prayer with our family of three Michael drove us to the SL International airport. It was shortly after 6:30 am when we said good-bye; we wouldn't see each other again for 15 days.
Caitlin and I navigated the airport like pros. Mike had printed our boarding passes for us the day before so all we had to do was check in our baggage. Our next stop was security where we removed shoes, belts and jackets before going through the screening. Once we made it through we could relax until our departure which was at 8:30. We found McDonald's where I enjoyed my favorite oatmeal for breakfast. For someone who is nervous about flying I was quite calm as I took in my surroundings. The airport was a place I had been many times in my life before the events of September 11, 2001 which resulted in an increase in security which makes it virtually impossible to go into the depths of the airport unless you are a passenger. I found that during the previous decade the airport had transformed into an updated version of a very recognizable place. We made our way to our departure gate where we waited to board. It was only then that I remembered David. David. My little brother. He works at the airport. I quickly sent off a text message to ask him if he was at work. Shortly after that we were called to board the plane. As I sat in my seat I received a message back from David wanting to know what gate we were departing from and where our seats were located. I quickly texted him back the information but all to soon we had to turn off our phones as the airplane was backing away from the gate. As the plane got into position I watched out of the window hoping to see my brother. The plane was moving now and picking up speed when suddenly I saw a truck on the runway right next to us. The driver was in full control of his vehicle as it kept up with the airplane and he glanced over every few seconds as if looking for someone. I said to Caitlin, "is that David!?" Yes! Yes it was! We began waving frantically from our window and David waved back just as enthusiastically. It appeared that he was trying to take our picture. He was successful at taking a video of our plane as it lifted off the ground and headed for New York (he sent us a video text which we watched when we arrived).
Our flight was as smooth as smooth. We were served peanuts, pretzels and sodas and watched the movie Parental Guidance. We had a 3 1/2 hour layover at JFK which when I booked the flight Caitlin initially had complained would be "too long" but after our flight Caitlin said, "good call Mom." We enjoyed the time we had to walk around, find the restroom, get something to eat, and spend time on our phones. Just before boarding our plane I spoke to Mike one last time before turning off my phone for 15 days. As the passengers gathered at our departure gate I could see that this overseas flight was going to be a lot bigger than our previous flight. I'm still not sure which makes me more anxious: a big plane, or... a bigger plane. I did realize something after being on six flights in two weeks. I'm more nervous waiting in the airport than I am on the plane. I remember on one particular flight entering the brightly lit cabin of the aircraft, cheerful music playing over the sound system, people talking and laughing together, and the friendly crew already busy doing their work. That environment helped me to relax and settle in for the duration.
Our flight from JFK to London, Heathrow was the one I dreaded the most. Flying into the night over the ocean is not what I call fun. Caitlin and I were quite happy with our seats on an aisle and a window. We each had our own screen on the backs of the seats in front of us. We could watch movies, TV shows, track our flight (I find it completely unnecessary for the pilot to announce that we are cruising at 36,000 feet, I mean... who really needs to know that?), we could play games or create a playlist and listen to music. All on that ipad-sized-screen. I watched some of Downton Abbey season 3 and I tried to sleep, but it's next to impossible for me to do so on an airplane.
At some point Friday turned into Saturday. It was light outside. I began to feel the excitement of our arrival in England. As the plane descended we looked out of our window at the earth below. It was England. We were here. We arrived at 7 o'clock am. At home it was just midnight.
I had planned very carefully all of the details of our journey. I chose Heathrow because we could catch the underground (subway) from the airport into the city which would be less expensive than the Heathrow or Gatwick express. I planned that we would travel to Kings Cross where we would catch a train to Wakefield. That is where my Uncle Derek and Auntie Dorothy would meet us. I had purchased my train tickets on-line in advance taking into consideration that we needed to get through customs, buy our oyster cards (passes for the underground), spend an hour on the underground train (tube), and then once we arrived at Kings Cross go to a self-service ticket machine to claim our tickets. I decided that three hours was plenty so I booked our train for 10 o'clock am. It worked out perfectly. Of course we also allowed ourselves a few moments at the airport to stop for the essentials. We do love our British sweets.
When we boarded our train at Kings Cross we were weary travelers. We had reserved seats with a table which Caitlin immediately laid her head on and fell asleep. I could not enjoy that luxury. I had to stay awake. I didn't want to sleep through our destination, besides, this was a part of our journey I had looked forward to... a train ride through the English countryside.
There was a group of a dozen or so young men whose train had been cancelled and so were now on our train. They were very loud and jovial. I couldn't help but smile at their eruptions of loud laughter. They were just happy chaps enjoying their day, but... their language was terrible. I remembered that my ipod was in my purse so I took it out and proceeded to listen to my favorite Tab Choir hymns. I was exhausted after the hours of travel, but felt such a relief that we were here. The familiar hymns that I love replaced the "noise of the world" and I felt peaceful and safe as I watched the English countryside roll by. Shortly after twelve noon we arrived in Wakefield. I could see Uncle Derek and Auntie Dorothy waiting on the platform for us. At home it was 5 o'clock am. I had been awake for more than 24 hours.
Sunday, May 12, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am there with you....of course having traveled it several times I am reliving it with you.....I eagerly look forward to you next installment :o)
I will be reading every word. Oh so happy you went.
Post a Comment