Friday, June 28, 2013

Some Things Are Meant To Be


After our wonderful day in Liverpool we drove to Southport; a beautiful seaside resort town where the only part of the sea we saw... is what you see in the picture. Apparently we had to walk across that bridge quite a distance to get a view of the actual seaside.

Derek and Dorothy had made reservations for the four of us to stay at a Bed and Breakfast in Southport. I have stayed in B&B's in England before and looked forward to it with anticipation. They are usually old farmhouses or townhouses that have been converted into B&B's (someday I will write a post about the old farmhouse where I stayed in 1997). They are comfortable, homey, in-expensive, and every morning you are served a traditional English breakfast, which in my opinion is part of the whole experience.

When we arrived in Southport we turned onto a street lined with townhouses which had all been converted into B&B's. Uncle Derek easily found the address where we had reservations and he and I went to the door. We were quite surprised when the people who came to the door adamantly claimed that we had no reservation there, AND they had no available rooms. There was another B&B down the street with a similar name, certainly our reservation was there... or so they said. We were very confused, and I think we maybe should have felt a little insulted. We easily found the other house and went to the door. When no one answered  Dorothy and I peered into the front window. It was obvious that no one was home, and even if they were, by the looks of the house they were not expecting company. Dorothy, being a proper English woman, has a meticulously spotless house and was not willing to stay at this house, so... we headed down the street looking for "vacancy" signs.

We stopped at a house just a few doors from the previous and were delighted to find that there were vacancies. We were warmly welcomed by a woman named Chris who is probably a few years older than me. She was friendly, kind, and genuine, the kind of person who endeared herself to you immediately. Uncle Derek quickly engaged in conversation with Chris telling her of our frustration with our mixed-up-reservation situation. Chris listened intently and sympathetically. I went to the car to retrieve luggage and when I returned found Uncle Derek talking to Chris about the church. Chris had explained that she had seen a program on TV about "the Mormons" after finding out that Caitlin and I were visiting from Utah. She herself was a religious woman (not of the LDS faith) and found the LDS values to be very admirable. I will insert here that my Uncle Derek is the salt of the earth; a humble and faithful man. Derek talked openly about the church and our beliefs and Chris listened respectfully. Once we were upstairs in our room I quietly told Caitlin that I had a copy of The Book of Mormon with me. Her response was, "you have to give it to Chris!" I agreed.

That evening the four of us went to dinner and then walked around the town. Uncle Derek was certain that we were meant to stay at Chris's, that it wasn't just chance. It certainly did seem that way. As we walked and talked I was silently pondering how I was going to give Chris The Book of Mormon.

I think that someone who is a proprietor in a place like a B&B has to be a people person. When we arrived at breakfast the following morning Chris greeted each of us by name. As she served us our conversation with her was friendly. Soon it was time to gather our bags and prepare to leave. I knew the time was at hand and I knew I had to give her the book privately. 

When it was time to go I stayed in the background as Derek, Dorothy and Caitlin all hugged Chris and said goodbye. As they walked out the door and it was my turn, I handed her the blue paperback copy of The Book of Mormon giving her a brief explanation. "Oh Lesley, thank you!" was her gracious response as she kissed both of my cheeks and hugged me. By her expression of gratitude you would have thought that I had given her the best gift ever; which I did... she really just didn't know it.

As Caitlin and I walked down the street side by side I shared with her what had occurred. I told her how gracious Chris had been. I told her that Chris may choose to open the book and read it, or it could be placed on a shelf and maybe not opened for ten years. I explained that a seed had been planted, and I was grateful that I had brought The Book of Mormon with me and that I had been given the opportunity to share it.

1 comment:

Lilian said...

Makes me want to have a copy of the Book of Mormon with me to give at any time.

It does sound like it was meant to be. I also look forward to hearing about your experience in 1997 :)