We arrived in Whitby after our day in York. No B&B complications here. We stayed at Number 5 B&B (interesting name) where Derek and Dorothy have stayed before (and have been back since Caitlin and I were with them). Caitlin and I stayed on the top floor in the room where you can see the iron railing around the window. Derek and Dorothy were in the room directly underneath us (that is the room where Alan, Marivic, and AJ stayed 2 years ago). The breakfast room is the one at the very bottom; two floors below Derek and Dorothy.
I loved our room at Number 5 B&B. It was spacious, clean and homey; the bathroom was fully equipped and big enough to move around in; we each got our own bed, there was a fireplace, and packets of Cadbury hot chocolate and lovely biscuits. Most important of all (at least to Caitlin) was the free wi-fi. I admit... I liked the wi-fi too. Caitlin always shared her ipad with me so I could message Michael and post updates on facebook, which was a lot of fun.
The houses and shops in Whitby start at sea level and wind their way up the hill to the cliffs on top (depicted in the last photo). That evening we walked down hill through narrow, winding streets and past the shops (every thing closes early) towards the sea. Being April, the streets of this seaside community were not filled with many people. We found a nice restaurant to eat in and then walked to the pier. It was cold and windy. I was afraid we would be blown out to sea. Uncle Derek teased Caitlin with stories of Dracula (Whitby is connected to Dracula), especially when a strange looking character with a long black cloak kept appearing. Caitlin was sufficiently spooked.
The next morning we again walked the streets of Whitby, this time popping in and out of the shops. I loved the homemade sign on this store window indicating that they were closed on Sunday "Not Sunday The Lord's Day". I liked that.
I couldn't get enough of the streets and houses in all of the little English towns and communities we visited. When we'd seen all we could in Whitby we drove to the ruins of Whitby Abbey which are situated on the top of a cliff.
I was disappointed that even the ruins of an abbey cost money to get into. We decided not to go inside, which in the ruins of an abbey are actually... outside. The abbey is an impressive sight from any direction. The picture at the bottom I swiped from the internet. Isn't it beautiful? Anyone know what famous sea Captain learned seamanship in Whitby?

1 comment:
I love Whitby! I'm soooo jealous (in a good way!) :-) I hope we can return there someday. It definitely was one of the best part of our trip to England. The ruins and the shops were awesome. Did you also see the colorful little beach huts on the seashore? They fascinated me. Barely big enough to be a dressing room :-) Reminds me of old, old beach pictures.
Post a Comment