Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Emerald Isle

We arrived at Belfast International Airport on the afternoon of Friday April 19. We departed from Belfast City Airport on the afternoon of Monday April 22. Two full days and two "bits" was not enough time, but I'm so grateful for what time I had. I look forward to, and plan to go back.

The flight from Leeds-Bradford to Belfast International was the shortest of our entire trip. It was a beautiful day and the flight was perfect. I sat between Caitlin and a business woman who I shared a friendly conversation with . Caitlin sat by the window and I leaned over frequently in anticipation of my first view of the land of my birth. Just as we reached our cruising altitude we began to descend. I couldn't stop looking now, knowing that at any moment I was going to see Ireland. Suddenly there it was. Beautiful. Green. The Emerald Isle.


This is me and my cousin Barbara in 1975... the last time we saw each other. And here we are nearly 38 years later. I had messaged Barbara shortly before the trip and asked her if she thought we would recognize each other at the airport or if I needed to send a photo. She said of course we would recognize each other. We did. Barbara and her husband Fred were very kind hosts to Caitlin and I for the entire weekend. Caitlin LOVES Barbara! She has a big soft spot in her heart dedicated just to her. 



After taking us to our B&B to check in and freshen up, Barbara and Fred took us to Carrick Fergus Castle and to dinner. You can barely see Belfast Lough (pronounced Lock) near the bottom right corner of the castle.


After dinner we went to visit my Mother's cousin Marilyn. This was an especially tender moment for me. You see, Marilyn remembers me as a little four-year-old girl (see the picture on my sidebar). As she greeted me with an outstretched hand and the words, "it's nice to meet you", I could see the emotion in her eyes. I felt very aware of the love she must have had for me when I was a child. I put my arms around her and said, "we have met before." 


I was also very excited to discover that Marilyn's younger brother Bill and his wife Mina were visiting from Canada. Mina's mother has passed away and her funeral was the next day. Now the reason I was so excited to meet Bill and Mina was because they live in Canada where Jeremy served his mission. Jeremy became acquainted with them during his mission and saw them again when he returned to visit Toronto a few years ago. The first thing they said to me was, "are you Jeremy's mom?" We enjoyed our evening visiting with them and some of Marilyn's children.


I've promised to write a post about a B&B where I stayed in England in 1997 (which I will when I finish writing about this trip), but on this trip Beechgrove Farm, where we stayed for 3 nights, was my favorite B&B. This is a beautiful view of Belfast Lough from my bedroom window. In fact, this picture doesn't even do it justice. Every time I looked out of my window and took in the full view of the length and breadth of the lough, I imagined what a sight it must have been to see the Titanic sail away from this very lough over 100 years ago. And since the B&B is much, much older than the Titanic, I also imagined that someone must have been standing at that very window more than 100 years ago watching that magnificent scene unfold.



I loved our cozy room, with the beautiful view of the lough from the window. Our room had a keyhole with an old-fashioned key which we had to use to open and close the door. The doorknob and keyhole were lower than the knobs on my doors at home... more than once I had to get down on my knees with key in hand, and peer into that keyhole to find the location of the mechanism to get that key to work.



I loved the breakfast room where we dined every morning. The same place settings were prepared for us each day. The white tea/coffee pot was filled with hot chocolate just for the two of us. It was delicious. Every evening, Mrs. Barron the elderly lady who owned the farm asked us what time we wanted our breakfast served the following morning. Usually it was just Caitlin and I, and sometimes one or two other guests who sat at a different table. On our last morning Caitlin didn't come down to breakfast, so I went alone and visited with a young couple from America who were road tripping through Ireland. I loved our stay at Beechgrove Farms.


4 comments:

Lilian said...

I need to book a trip. I need to see Belfast. And my family there. I love the pictures of the B&B!!! Reminds me of the one we stayed at near Stratford! The one with Lidia's garden.

Lesley said...

Leenz you do need to go. You and Cory, me and mike, and mom and dad. The Lydia's garden B&B is the one I'm going to blog about. Remember... The well?

Bea said...

You could just sit there and "soak" the atmosphere, and look across the Lough to the County Down hills. Just to be there is all I need....well after my Ulster Fry every morning :o)

Tiffany said...

So, so beautiful!