Friday, September 6, 2013

The Antrim Coast


I have loved the ocean for as long as I can remember. After spending the day driving along the most beautiful coastline that I have ever personally seen, I am confident that much of that love comes from the knowledge that I was born on a beautiful Emerald Isle surrounded by the sea (my Facebook status on April 20, 2013).

Driving up the Antrim Coast was something I had looked forward to as I anticipated our trip to Ireland... But I was also a bit nervous about it. Other people had talked to me about the incredible beauty of the drive, but also mentioned the conditions of the roads. I interpreted that to mean narrow roads, sharp curves, and thousand foot sheer drops with no guardrails into the sea. I actually had a nightmare before my trip which made those concerns seem very real. My drive along the Antrim Coast actually turned out to be one of the highlights of my entire trip.

The mountains do indeed sweep down to the sea as you can see in the first picture, and if you look closely you can see the road and that there is land on either side of it, no steep cliffs... at least not by the road. It was a road with two lanes which were narrow and winding. I wasn't used to being in a car which was driven by a driver who sat on the "wrong side"of the car, and said car being on the "wrong side" of the road, but my cousin Barbara was a conscientious and safe driver and I soon felt at ease.

Anywhere along the road when we stopped to take pictures, we could look back over the miles of coastline and see the road we had just traveled winding its way up the beautiful mountain. We saw little farms with sheep grazing on the hills and the farmhouses that made me want to stop and stay for a week. We saw beautiful sandy beaches that looked as if they'd never been stepped on.

We stopped at a little park in the town of Ballycastle to eat our picnic lunch. Caitlin planned to buy a claddagh ring (Margie told us that she and Megan bought their rings in Ballycastle three years ago) so when we finished eating the two of us walked up the road and into the town where the shops were. Caitlin quickly found the ring that filled her hearts desire and we headed back to meet Barbara and Fred to continue our drive.

Our next stop was the Carrick A Rede rope bridge. Barbara and Fred waited as the two of us hiked to the bridge. It connected the mainland to a small "island". When we crossed the bridge we found a grassy spot where we sat down and enjoyed our conversation with each other as we looked out across the sea at the coast of Scotland.

Next, we stopped at the Giant's Causeway. We both enjoyed climbing the causeway (and Caitlin was wearing a skirt). All my life I've heard stories of how the causeway was created... follow the link and see what you think about it.

Our next stop was Dunluce Castle. This is the remains of a castle that does sit on the edge of a cliff. Centuries ago there was a terrific storm as a dinner party was being held in the castle. Part of the kitchen broke off from the house and fell into the sea... and some of the kitchen help as well.

At the end of our drive we arrived in Portrush which is a resort community. As we approached Portrush I saw something that really surprised me... surfers. Surfing and Ireland? Not something I'd ever imagined. But why not? 

The Antrim Coast is beautiful and I hope someday to spend a week there. Maybe in Portrush or Ballycastle. Preferably in a farmhouse B&B along the coast road, after all... I do love t'ocean.

That is Scotland in the background. 




                                                                         



This is a view from the road above, of the little island which is connected
 to the mainland with the Carrick A Rede rope bridge.


Caitlin crossing the rope bridge. It is an 80 foot drop to the sea below.
You can see the people lined up on the "island" and waiting for their turn
 to come back. Only a few at a time can cross.


The Giant's Causeway.




If you look near the edge of the water (middle of photo) you 
can see Caitlin bent over and touching it. 
It was very windy. As she climbed all over the 
causeway I was worried that the wind would catch her skirt
 and she would take flight.




This is Dunluce Castle. You can't see the sheer cliff... but it's there.


6 comments:

Lilian said...

So awesome and beautiful. Though, I would not stand in line to cross that bride. Well... maybe I would if I were there.

Lesley said...

It actually only took a couple of minutes!! They had a pretty good system :)

Stecky said...

I think this looks like my favorite place of all. It is beautiful, and you both look gorgeous in the setting.

Lesley said...

You would LOVE it Becky!! Let's go!!!

Georgia said...

My heart is so happy for you and Caitlin every time I read about or see photos of your trip to England and Ireland!

What an amazing journey to your homeland to fill your soul with the love and lives of your parents and ancestors--to walk where they were, see the sights they saw, breath the same air!-- Ahh! That's heady stuff!

Bea said...

It is heady stuff and you can take the girl out of Ulster but you can't take Ulster out of the girl :o)