Friday, September 5, 2014

Granma Marsden's Birthday Breakfast



A lot has happened this summer and I'm not planning to write about it on my blog, but I have to share this special occasion here. My mom passed away in August, just 15 days before her birthday. I was inspired by my sister (in-law) Marivic to make some of moms traditional Irish soda bread and potato bread (sody and tady). It had been many, MANY years since I'd made these breads because... mom always made them for us so I didn't need to. Once in awhile mom would invite Mike and I over for a traditional Irish breakfast... an Ulster Fry. This isn't just ANY breakfast, it is THE breakfast!! I remember as a teenager going on a camping trip with our extended family and mom brought some of the coveted  bread, one of my uncles offered to trade one of his children for an Ulster Fry (yes, Uncle Bryan's family that was youzzins). Every time we went to the beach house mom spent hours preparing the breads and then frying it up the next morning for an Ulster Fry at t'ocean. It's a lot of work and there are a lot of us at the beach house, but it was a labor of love. The West Bountiful 4th of July parade goes past my parents house every year. A few years ago mom made sody and tady for all of us who came to watch the parade, even some of our friends were recipients. When Caitlin and I were in Ireland last year we had an Ulster Fry every morning at our bed and breakfast but it wasn't as good as moms. A couple of times a year mom and dad visited Alan and Marivic in California. Marivic took detailed notes on the bread making process as Mom tutored her, and recently shared those notes with the rest of the family. So, I did it and I think it was a success. I started a new tradition with my children and grandchildren. Granma Marsden's Birthday Breakfast. We will do it every year. I think Mom was pleased.




No comments: