Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Wonderfully Rottenest Week

A few months ago I discovered an 8 week challenge on a blog I occasionally visit. It immediately sparked my interest so I picked up pen and paper and jotted it down. Weeks went by and I occasionally thought about the challenge but didn't do anything about it. Recently it has been brought to my mind several times, so last weekend I reviewed the paper and with determination I started this challenge last Monday. That's the wonderful part of my week.

Now for the rotten part. My week did not get off to a great start. You know how it is when a lot of "stuff" happens. None of it is necessarily "big stuff", but sometimes a lot of "little stuff" all added together feels like "big stuff"... and I felt like I had a lot of little stuff happening. And it really, truly just kept happening all week. 

Here is an example: we have a small construction job going on in our home. I hired a professional to do the job so that we wouldn't have the stress... HA! In order to do the job some of our carpet has been pulled back, there has been framing and drywall installed, consequently there is sheetrock dust everywhere. The excitement I had felt in anticipation of the project, and in the first couple of days of construction, was suddenly replaced with genuine regret that I had made this choice. Even worse was the knowledge of the money I had spent and the remainder I would have to pay upon completion of the project. This project has been a big part of my "stuff" this week.

Part of the 8 week challenge is to write in a gratitude journal. I have actually been keeping a gratitude journal off and on for many years. I think everyone knows the concept of the gratitude journal. Each night before I go to bed I write down five things which I am grateful for that day, but being in a not-so-pleasant mood all week I found it difficult to write down things I was grateful for. On days like these you are tempted to journal that you are only grateful for your cozy bed and clean sheets; ummm... I've actually written that before. But even during my frustrating week I could not ignore the fact that I have been blessed immensely and have much to be grateful for. Monday I wrote that I was grateful for Adam and Tanner, two grandsons who had birthdays that day (not twins.... cousins). Wednesday I was grateful for a friend at work who compassionately listened to me cry about sheetrock (literally) and offered good advice. Thursday I wrote that I was grateful to receive a card in the mail from my missionary, a card full of "best friend" stuff that the two of us share. Friday night I wrote in my little journal that I was grateful for my own trials. There are people all around us suffering heartache, grief, sorrow, illness, death, loss of employment, and many others major trials. I learned many years ago when going through the worst experience of my life, to never discredit somebody else's trials. No matter how big or how small... it is their trial.

This morning I awakened at 6:30 and decided "what the heck... I will get up and get my day started" (referring to the challenge listed below my wild card for the coming week will be get up an hour earlier). Eating 6 servings of fruits/veggies and drinking LOTS of water and not eating cookies at the Deli paid off when I weighed in at Weight Watchers at 8 am. By 11:00 I had cleaned my entire kitchen, done laundry, swifted away sheetrock dust, vacuumed, and overall accomplished more than I do most Saturdays. 

So regardless of the "rottenness" of my week (which was fueled by me and only me), week one of the 8 week challenge was a success. I could have easily given up when "stuff" started to happen, but I didn't. I hope the goals I work on will become better habits. I hope I am less grumpy this week; I'm sure my co-workers hope I'm not grumpy at all. I hope I see more of the wonderful and less of the rotten. And no matter what goes on around me, it's really up to me to make that happen.

Here's the challenge:
1- Read 20 minutes of holy writ each day
2- Eat 6 servings fruit/veggies each day
3- Drink 6 cups of water per day
4- Write in gratitude journal each day
5- Exercise for 30 minutes 5 days a week
6- Consume no more than 1 serving refined sugar per day
7- No eating after 8 pm
8- Work on a personal goal of your choosing
9- Wild card (change weekly)
10- Record daily point tally

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Les, you amaze me and inspire me. I sure love you! Sorry about the shitrock.... ;)

Tiffany said...

Oh Lesley, why oh why is life hectic and we've yet to schedule a lunch? Let's get it on the calendar!!!

Stecky said...

How is your challenge going? You are so awesome to undertake such goal oriented life style changes. I am just hanging on by my fingernails these days. Keep up all your good work, because I have noticed all your work is good!

Stecky said...

Have you had a good week yet?

Stecky said...

Okay! How did I get kicked off Caitlin's blog? I need an invite. Unless......??Z