Friday, November 12, 2010

Smelling the Roses

Life has been very busy. I don't feel like I can get ahead of anything... of course, I'm not sure if I've ever been ahead, just maybe not so far behind. I feel like I'm always in a hurry wherever I go or whatever I do. It's as if there aren't enough hours in the day or enough days in the week. Last week as I was evaluating my dis-organized schedule I thought to myself, "I really need to stop and smell the roses." A short while after having that thought I was in Target. As usual, I was in a hurry as I approached the check-out counter to pay for my items. As I placed my things on the counter the checker kindly said to me, "you look like you're in a big rush today sweetie." I kindly said something back to her, I don't really remember what exactly, but it's what she said next that caught my attention... "sometimes you need to stop and smell the roses." Did she really say that? The exact same thing that I had just told myself, maybe... an hour earlier? A few days later I was in Target again. As I hurried around the store I caught a glimpse of my image in a glass door on a display, I was actually surprised when I saw how fast I was moving, I made a conscientious effort to slow down, to take a little more time and not be in such a rush... it actually felt good. Today I decided to stop and smell the roses. Caitlin and I took a day off together. We went to Gardner Village, we had lunch, I bought Caitlin some shaped elastic bands... you know the ones, everyone has them. She let me pick some and I'm wearing them right now... so not me, but hey... I'm smelling roses. Is it just me? Does anyone out there in bloggyland feel this way? What do you do to stop and smell the roses?

6 comments:

Lilian said...

Stopping to smell the roses sounds like a good idea.

Archie said...

Great post Les. I was just realizing the other day that this past summer flew by. I had some good vacation time with my family, but I didn't do nearly the amount of mountain biking or golfing that I usually do (my roses). Nor have I contributed anything to blogville lately.

So thanks for the inspiration. I'm going to make an effort to slow down a bit enjoy the roses.

Bonnie and Jim said...

I hear you loud and clear Lesley. It's hard when life is throwing things at you right and left. You want to make everyone happy and heaven forbid we let someone down. If you're like me I always wonderful how much of it I put on myself. Well, to answer your question I go get my two beautiful grandchildren and spend some time with them or Jim and I go on a drive and stop just anywhere and look at anything. You know, just time together.
I love what you did with Caitlin. That is one of my favorite places to go with my sister when she comes. What a fun day for you.
Those are the things that create memories. Hang in there Lesley!!

Tiffany said...

Of course my life is in a different stage than yours, but when I feel as though I am running too fast, I stop and get down on the floor and PLAY with my children.

(Or I go to lunch with friends... can't wait until Tuesday!)

Terri said...

I was waiting for you to write that before checking out at Target you picked up some flowers... maybe even roses. When things get overwhelming I like to focus on the things that make me smile: flowers on my kitchen table, grandkids art on my fridge (or the wall if I forgot to put the markers away :) or maybe just ask myself, "Will what I am doing matter tomorrow?" If the answer is NO then I am TRYING to learn to set it aside. Thanks for the reminder. As always, Love ya! Mean It!!

Margie said...

The fact I am so behind in blog reading shows that I haven't taken time to smell the roses. I heard Lilian and Melissa talking at Thanksgiving about Lilian's posts on meeting Cory. I didn't even know they were there. Life gets too busy at times, and it gets frustrating. However, this past week I have taken several opportunities to smell the roses and I do feel grateful for it!! I enjoyed talking with you on Thanksgiving too. We don't get enough time together!