
I have often heard my parents proclaim that Britain has the greatest public transportation system in the world... the bus. Although they rode the bus, I think that this was probably my Mother's most often used transport to get her and her children from point A to point B... the pram. No minivan or SUV for my mom; neither of my parents even had a drivers license until they came to America.
This classic picture reminds me of stories that my parents have told me over the years of our life in Ireland. One in particular is that my parents used to walk to church with all three of their bairns (me, Archie, and Timothy) in the pram. It often rained, and so Archie and Timothy, being younger and smaller, sat together under the hood and I sat at the other end. I wore socks and sandals and by the time we arrived at church my feet had gotten wet (it was okay to wear socks and sandals back then... it was even okay to wear socks to church back then ;) Mother, who is always prepared, removed my socks and dried my feet, she then took a dry pair of socks from her bag and redressed my feet.
I'm not exactly sure when this picture was taken; but guessing the ages of the wee bairns, it was probably shortly before Dad came to America.
5 comments:
I hadn't thought of a pram as transportation :o) but that is exactly what it was. Three passengers sat on the vehicle and Mother or Father provided the mechanism for movement. Brilliant!!
I am glad you consider this a "classic" it certainly reminds me of another world. :o)
What a great family photo! Certainly a classic and I can understand why it is a favorite.
I have been enjoying the collection of photos you classify as classic and favorites. Thanks for sharing them.
I looked at that photo and was filled with a smile as I realized what fantastic people I was looking at. Did they know how super they were?
What a precious photo Les. I don't remember seeing this one before. Love the idea of posting about classic and favorites.
I looked again at the picture and I am wearing a flower..... it must have been Mother's Day May 1962
Post a Comment