Sunday, May 6, 2012

Confessions of a Non-Shopaholic

I have a love/hate relationship with shopping. I have plenty of shopping stories that I could regale you with, but... I won't. If you know me well you already know what kind of shopper I am (Lilian is probably nodding her head now). If you've shopped with me you know how fussy I am (Melinda remember when you got $10 off the price of a dress in Park City years ago; because I found a spot on it?). A stranger once looked into my cart at the grocery store, then looked at me and said, "I've never seen groceries so organized in a grocery cart before." Should my shopping habits make me proud or embarrassed? I'm not sure... maybe a little bit of both considering the circumstance of the moment. Needless to say, although I do enjoy shopping excursions with friends and family, when I really want and need to accomplish something I prefer to go alone. Not because I don't enjoy the company... but I'd rather not put people I love through the torture of shopping with me.

But today I share a happy and successful shopping story which  is also very true to the nature of my shopping habits. So enjoy.

Several months ago while shopping at a favorite store I found this red table and immediately fell in love with it. I knew it would be perfect in my living room, but it was what I considered to be a major cash purchase. When I am making major purchases... I like to "think about it". Often while I am thinking, I miss out. My tolerant extremely patient husband often tells me that I over think such things. He's often the one who tells me to buy it. In fact, he always tells me to buy it. How many husbands do that? Only the ones who have the secure knowledge that their wives "think about it" too much.

This store offers 20% at any given time (if you happen to shop there and they tell you that), but I needed more than 20% off to justify the purchase. I have gone into that store on a weekly basis for months watching and waiting for my table to go on sale. A few weeks ago there was a store coupon for 25% off, but I had a price in my head and 25% still didn't cut it. I finally decided that I was going to forget about the table... and I did. A week ago while shopping with Marivic at another favorite store, I found another red table... this time my "think about it" habit saved me from a purchase and then a return, because two days later I went into the original store and there was my table... 30% off. Just dollars above what I would spend. I knew this was my last chance. It was now or never. I scrutinized every detail of looked at the table for several minutes.  The store employee told me that she could give me 35% off if there were scratches (don't you love the distressed look?), so I bravely asked, "could you go 40%?" A quick phone call and the 40% offer was approved. There was no thinking about it now, within minutes that table was in the back of my little car and I was on my way home.

So how do you like my red table? I will post another picture when I accessorize it... but knowing me that could take a few more months, so please don't hold your breath.





5 comments:

Lilian said...

Nodding my head while I thank you for not wanting to invite me shopping. :-)

But you do always end up with a great bargain!!

AnJ. said...

Love the table and know that you aren't alone in the overthinking department. I do it ALL the time.

Marivic said...

Les, I am so happy you got your red table!!!! It looks great! Worth waiting for! And I think it's a better choice than the other red table we looked at for sure.

BobN said...

I once got left behind at a car dealership because my sweetheart felt the negotiation process was excruciating, and I was in no big hurry.

Bea said...

Just look at those lovely drawers waiting to be filled with "junk"