It was after 7:00 in the evening when our family arrived. The cemetery was overflowing with the beautiful colors of countless flowers that had been left at the graves over the weekend. The crowds had long gone. There were a few lingerers, like our family. It was perfect as Mike and I and all of our posterity stood gathered at Ashleigh's grave. We had brought pink balloons for the grandchildren to send to Ashleigh and they were excited to let them go, and we all watched the sky until we could no longer see them. Not far from us stood a man who was playing the bagpipes. The boys, who had arrived just minutes before us, told us that the man had been playing "Amazing Grace" as they got there. "Amazing Grace" is a special song to us... Michael loves that song and it had been his request that a piper play it at Ashleigh's burial. It has been especially tender to us ever since.
My Jeremy approached the man and asked if he would come to Ashleigh's grave and play it for our family. He very graciously did. It was a spiritual moment as we stood there as a family listening to the piper as he played that beautiful song ... when it was over we just stood there reverently. There were a few tears shed, and some hugs and love yous. For me it was a tender moment of tender moments. I love my family. I'm grateful for each one of them and I will never forget the way I felt during those few moments we spent at the cemetery together.
7 comments:
What a beautiful post. Thanks so much for writing about it. We were there in the morning and it was overflowing with colors. I can't imagine what it looked like by evening.
How cool that guy came over and played. It brought tears to my eyes just reading about it! Very tender post.
I love that you let the pink balloons go. Do you do that every year? I am also enjoying your Ashleigh-O posts. Thanks for sharing....
We have only been doing the balloons for a few years. I had one for each grandchild but one popped while still in the car and little James (see pic w/Andy) held on to his for a long time before sending it off. I love his smile in the picture... it's as if he's saying he knows what he is doing. Next year I'm going to get more than one each... the kids loved sending them off and watching them 'til they couldn't see them.
With tears in my eyes, I comment on your beautiful blog post, Lesley. What a tender tradition and an amazing way to honor the memory of your darling daughter.
Thank you for sharing this!
Thanx for sharing :o)
you are getting quite a posterity and what a great way to introduce the children to Ashleigh and keeping that memory alive for them
Love you !!!!!
Awesome post Les. Love you!!!
Post a Comment