Thursday, February 21, 2013

Creating A Memory

During the summer of my seventeenth birthday my parents sent me on a 5-week trip to Great Britain to visit my relatives. Before I left my Mom gave me a bar of Yardley English Lavender soap. I was thrilled to have the beautiful lavender bar of smelly soap, up until that day all I had ever used was Dial soap. My Mom explained that by using this special soap on my trip, that forevermore whenever I smelled it, it would bring back memories of my trip. At our Favorites Party last October someone brought Yardley English Lavender soap as their favorite. Immediately remembering my Mother's theory, I hoped that my name would be picked out of the bowl. It wasn't, but I did get a chance to smell the box and immediately the memories flooded my mind, suddenly I was back in England in 1975 at my Uncle Derek's house. My Mom was right!!! So, today I bought a bar of Yardley English Lavender soap for my daughter... 'cause guess where she's going in a few weeks; AND guess who is going with her!!!

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is such an awesome thing that your mother did! I love that. How wonderful are doing the same thing for Caitlin.

Bea said...

so.......where did you get the soap? I remember saying that to you......who would have known.....Mothers can be right:o)

Georgia said...

That is such a wonderful story. Your Mom nailed that scent association concept! How incredible you and your daughter will have another beautiful memory to share (the sweet lavender smell and the awesome journey back to your homeland).

Stecky said...

How exciting! I love the smell of that soap....and I've never been to England. Certain brands of sunscreen do the same thign for me. Have a great trip. Love you

AnJ. said...

How exciting! :) Isn't it amazing how many memories can be in a simple smell? :)