Saturday, March 16, 2013

"If Your Irish..."

This is me in June 1975 in front of the home in Belfast where I lived as a child. I don't know that guy behind me... but I think he's enjoying being in my picture.

My parents emigrated to the United States in 1964 when I was just a four-year-old. I've written about that experience on my blog before so I won't review the details now, but I will say that coming to live in America has truly blessed my life.

I love the verses of scripture found in 2 Nephi 1:5-7. Part of it reads "... the Lord hath covenanted this land unto me, and to my children forever, and also all those who should be led out of other countries by the hand of the Lord."

I know that my family was led to this country by the hand of the Lord, I even inserted the words October 1962 next to this scripture so that I will always be reminded of that when I read those verses.

Next month I will have the opportunity to visit the land of my birth for the first time in nearly 38 years. My memories of my early childhood in Ireland are very dim; but I feel gratitude that I do actually have my own memories and not just the stories that my parents share with me.

I am so grateful that I live in this promised land. But I am also grateful that I was privileged to be born on a beautiful emerald isle across the sea, and I am very much looking forward to being there again.

2 comments:

BobN said...

Excited for you both!

Tiffany said...

I feel the same way you do. The 29th March will mark 25 years since moving here for my family. I'm copying your idea your family did and I'm going to sit down and share my feelings with my family. (I'm even going to make them record it.)

So happy for you that you're going soon. It will be a wonderful experience for you and Caitlin to share.