This is me in Ireland in 1975; re-creating a picture taken of my Mother at the same spot in 1956 while on her honeymoon. This is what we refer to as... a tender moment.
I'm ready to go on my trip. I still have a lot to do... but I'm ready. All the planes, trains, hotels and B&B's are booked and London theatre tickets await us at will call. This has been a monumental task, much different than planning a trip to the beach house. I have lists of things to be done at home and at work (which now includes hiring and training a new employee). I will bring my suitcase out this week and start my "collection" of things to be packed. I am writing notes to myself practically every day so as not to overlook any detail. I have preparation plans written on certain days in my planner; for example: on conference weekend I must review all of my airline instructions so that I know what I can and cannot take in my purse and carry on bag, and what time I should arrive at the airport. Another example written on another day: I must write checks for all of the bills so that Mike can mail them while I am gone. There are moments as I'm going through this process when my stomach starts to hurt. There are other times when I feel a glimmer of excitement. I'm hoping that the glimmers will soon overcome the aches. Don't misunderstand. I am excited. I'm also scared. I admit it. But I have had great helpers in my family who have been so excited for me to go, that they have gone to a lot of work to share any information they have from their recent trips to Britain. My brother Alan emailed me several pages months ago with advice based on his experiences as well as links to the places we will visit. He also supplied me with links to the West End Theatres, trains, airlines in Britain, Abbey Road crossing web cam... he sent me different scenarios of how to plan our trip, for example: London, Yorkshire, Belfast or Yorkshire, Belfast, London or Belfast, London, Yorkshire. You get the idea. In case you're wondering... we are going to Yorkshire, Belfast, London. I decided it would be best to do London last. My sister (in-law) Margie asked where we planned to visit in London. She surprised both Caitlin and I with pages she printed for us with links to the local sites which included hours and prices. She recommended the hotel in London where we are going to stay. Margie also emailed me her daily journal of her last trip which was a great help. It helped me to determine just how much we can see and do in a day. I read it through twice. My Mother printed off a colored map of the underground (tube) which I have been studying. I have texted Tim, Alan, and Margie (a lot) with multiple questions and they have all eagerly responded. Thanks you guys!! You can be sure there will be many more texts in the next couple of weeks. Reading this post you would think that I was going to a strange place where I'd never been before... this is my 4th visit to Britain since I left as a child. It is my first visit where I am completely in charge. I recognize that all of the planning and preparation has been a great learning experience for me, remember... I'm the one who said, "if I can build a float... I can do anything". Glimmers are starting to overcome aches. Yep, I'm ready.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm excited for you guys. I wish I was going too. Make sure you go to an Internet Cafe to post pictures on Facebook while you're there.
alan
What an exciting time!! I hope all your aches turn into great glimmers.
You have a great family who have been so willing to share all their wisdom and experience to make your trip run smoother. What a blessing!
If you haven't hired your replacement employee yet, I'm available. I'd be happy to be a temp for you while you are away (if that is what you are looking for...).
Have a tremendous time! I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences here when you return.
Post a Comment