Traditionally this would be our week at the beach...if it was our year to go, which it is not. So in order to help ease my yearning to be there I decided to post pictures and share some of my beach house highlights through the years.
I've been going to San Clemente California since 1968 (I was 10). Mike and I spent our honeymoon there in 1977. In 1984 we started going to the beach house at Capistrano Beach just down the sand from San Clemente. Here we are on the San Clemente pier with our three little boys. Andy (6), Jeffrey (4), and Jeremy (9 1/2 months).
These are our three boys and Ashleigh in 1989 pictured with children of two of my cousins. This was Ashleigh's first of two trips to the beach house.
Upon our arrival in 1999 we discovered this huge log that had washed ashore. It became a great playground toy for the cousins and a great photo shoot for the parents. Granma and Granpa are somewhere in the middle of all those kids.
Here we are on our "front porch" in 2001. This was Kristin's second trip to the beach house, and Caitlin's third.
In 2003 Mike and I spent a week at the Beachcomber in San Clemente. We drove over to Beach Road and parked at the public beach parking lot then walked along the private beach 'til we came to the beach house. I was happy to see it was unoccupied.
Our family in our "front yard" in 2005. This was Melissa's first trip to the beach house, Emily's second, Adam's second and Zach's first.
Follow the sand for a couple of miles and there you'll find our beach.
Caitlin and Mike walking on the San Clemente pier in 2007. In the distance you can see both the Beachcomber and the Sea Horse (where we spent our honeymoon).These pictures represent only some of the years we've spent at the beach house. We have a lot of memories at the beach and I'm going to ramble off a few "one liners" for the family. Family talent night, bon fires, the hokey pokey, Mr. Roboto, walks along the pier eating ice cream cones, watching sunsets from the pier, the occasional glimpse of Catalina Island, jr. lifeguards jumping off the pier, dolphins playing in the water, going to sleep and waking up to the sound of t'ocean, golfing, eating at "The Fisherman", "When are we going to the store Trix...?", peanut butter..."and jelly?", has anybody seen Chris's sunscreen?, buying Cadbury's at "The Best of Britain", toe rings and ankle bracelets, David missing the tram at Disneyland, Grunyens at midnight, rocks, boogey boarding, "The Price is Right", Jeremy's stangulated two wood, church ball, "Wicked", the buses with snow on top, going to the movies, watching "Jaws", morning walks down Beach Road, trains, Granma's Ulster fry, Pickup Stix, family testimony meeting, good food, Ralph's grocery store, Dana Point, "We're here for the week..."
So many, many memories. I vote for next year!!!! All in favor???
16 comments:
Alan (and Marivic) love t'ocean, too. So we're with you on the longing and pining for San Clemente part. Maybe next year everyone can go. Unless there are graduations, or babies being born, or missionary farewells, or weddings, ...(my, we're a busy clan, aren't we?)Or unless gasoline is $8 a gallon by then? Argh!!!
There aren't any graduations next year! The next missionary farewell is Nov-Dec(ish)! I certainly don't plan to have any babies.... or grandchildren (YIKES!) by next year....
Weddings??? Who knows.
BUT I TOTALLY PLAN TO GO TO THE BEACH NEXT YEAR!!!
Oh, and even though it's not as big a deal to you as it is to me....
CHOCOLATE MALTED CRUNCH ICE CREAM!
Sorry about the ice-cream Leenz, expecially when you always share it with us. I keep coming up with more memories, that's why I'm hoping to be "reminded" of some. Anybody else...?
Do we HAVE to wait for next year?
You are the best Lesley, reminding us of the responsibility we have to enjoy ourselves. :o)
Mike's famous statement as we set off. in and out burgers, the cheer as we first see t'ocean, hoping for a SLOW week. Just being together. Granpa
Granpa your comment about Mike's famous statement made me LOL! Especially when I remember it's always right after family prayer. Those are great memories to add to the archives.
Mommy, you have GOT to stop saying LOL! haha!! watching u say lol makes me lol!! hehehe
Caitlin
Thanks for the little virtual vacation!! I loved looking at all of the pictures and reading the list of memories!! Next year sound good for us! We don't have any plans for next summer, so it would be great to have something to look forward to. Thanks for the memories...
We're not planning for a wedding or granchildren next year either, although "planning" is the operative word :-) So if someone takes the lead in making the beach house happen and keep us posted, maybe it's going to be one of the few years the Rocklin Marsdens can actually go. Man, I didn't know this blog thing is so addictive. I'm checking my sister-in-law'blog at work! I need to get a grip!LOL! Sorry, Caitlin. We oldies have hijacked your language because we now IM and blog, too. Love from your FFA (Favorite Filipina Aunt)
"Pay the Rent" in every language we can make up!
Okay great. let's get the hell out of here and go!!!!!!!!!!!!Mike
well I'll have a little baby next june, his name's adam and he might be complaining about gas...good thing we are about four hours away!! we are totally in!
Hey Lesley,
I don't have a blog, but enjoy reading yours.
Our family goes to Flriday every July and we always look forward to it too.
Paul is cooking dinner for the dads today..us moms get to enjoy also, because we don't have to cook.
I know daddy and Ned are proud with all those little grandbabies, and greatgrandbabies of yours with the Leger name to carry on. Tell your boys to keep up the good work..ha! Even Bibi named her's Leger.
Tell Mike I said Happy Fathers Day.
Talk to you later,
Antoinette
How fun to remember the good times at the beach house! I REMEMBER the pay the rent in all languages, Leenz, and am LOL. I had to get the LOL in there somewhere to follow the trend! :) Count Jeremy and me in for next year unless I am too pregnant to enjoy myself! :) (Don't worry, I'm NOT pregnant, but WHO KNOWS if I will be by then or how far along I would be.) :) I love the first picture with all of you on the beach in matching flip flops. I think Jeremy is THE CUTEST little baby in that picture, so I will have to save it away on my computer! :)
Post a Comment