Saturday, June 28, 2008

Camping and Trekking; It's Gonna Be An Endless Summer



The last two weeks in June were extremely busy. It seems like that is the way it goes sometimes, a bunch of stuff all at the same time and then we have nothing to do (although looking ahead at the July calander it's looking pretty busy too). We started out with ward girl's camp in Ogden Canyon. I'm second counselor in my ward YW's presidency so I get to go to camp with Caitlin. We were gone four days and three cold nights. But it was a great experience and we all enjoyed ourselves. Mike came for one day and night as a Priesthood leader and it was fun having him there too.
As soon as we got home from camp we were rushing to get Caitlin ready for pioneer trek (a re-enactment of the Mormon pioneers who pulled handcarts across the plains). I was busily sewing her pioneer clothes every night after work and I think she looked pretty cute in them. She was a bit apprehensive about going but was determined that she would do it. She left on Thursday morning the 26th and got home on Saturday night. Friday night Mike and I went up to trek so that Mike could help out with the music while the trekkers square danced. She was happy to see us but was quite busy with her trek "family". She was a happy camper, I mean trekker.
There were about 17 "families" on trek, this is Caitlin's trek "family" (Caitlin is on the back row wearing black)

On Saturday our week ended with West Bountiful's 4th of July celebration. Yes, we celebrated the 4th of July on June 28th. Endless Summer has become West Bountiful's favorite hometown band. Hundreds gathered at the city park for the concert which was followed by fireworks. It was a great celebration!!

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Fun times. Don't you love busy summers, but still savor the days your calendar is blank? (Except ours is getting "blank" due to having to "erase!" :)

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Sounds like you're off to a great summer. Caitlin is the prettiest "pioneer girl" I've seen. Great job on the pioneer costume, Les! Oh, yeah. You're pretty magical with the sewing machine. Didn't you make someone's wedding dress once? I think it was mine :-)Mike, Andy and band look awesome, too. Nice shirts!

Bea said...

I just have to "ditto" what Marivic said, Caitlin is the cutest pioneer I have ever seen. I wonder if her Trek family had anything to do with her enjoying the experience? We are glad she enjoyed it whatever the cause and contributors. :o)
Endless Summer are tops in my book. Let's hear it for the "Blogger" she does a good job. :o)

Margie said...

Caitlin does look darling!! She is so lucky to have such a talented mom to sew her dress too. I have always wanted to have my children be able to go on trek, but they have not had that opportunity, and it is now too late for Sean & Melissa (as youth that is). We wished we could have been there to see Endless Summer perform. It sounds like it was so much fun.

Lilian said...

Did Caitlin look that cute when she got home? When my two oldest boys went to trek four years ago I took pictures of them when they were leaving, then when they got home I demanded they take their clothes off in the garage because they were so dirty and smelled so bad!!!

I'm sure Rosie didn't smell though!! ;-)

Stephanie said...

Les, tell Mike and Andy that we loved hearing Endless Summer on the 28th! Alaina loved it too - she wanted to be right up there by the speakers. She was dancing her little heart out.