For nearly a week now I have been living at my son Andy's house while tending his and Kristin's three young boys; Adam, Zachary, and William, while their parents enjoy a vacation in Hawaii.
On Tuesday evening Zach expressed concern to me about a "red note" that he supposedly brought home, but couldn't find in his backpack. The note was a permission slip for his upcoming kindergarten field trip to the zoo and Zach insisted that it had to be turned in to his teacher the next day.
I told Zach not to worry, that I would write a note to his teacher explaining what had happened, and that he had permission to go to the zoo.
The next morning Zach reminded me about the promised note, so I asked him to please get me a piece of paper and a pen so that I could write it. Zach left for several minutes and upon his return handed me the paper and pen. At first glance the paper appeared to be a simple piece of computer paper, but when Zach handed it to me I could see a series of lines that had been drawn on the paper with the pen. When I asked him about the lines he simply explained that, "it was lined paper." Zach had created his own lined paper.
I proceeded to write a short but detailed note to Zach's kindergarten teacher Mrs. Jessee, following Zach's lines very carefully. When Zach returned from school that afternoon he handed me a perfectly typed note from his teacher. This is what she wrote:
May 5, 2010
Hi Zach's Grandma!
Zach gave me your nice note. It was very enjoyable *she inserted a smiley face here*
I'm sending another red zoo note. You are welcome to sign it and have Zach bring it back tomorrow. Of course, just let his parents know the details. There wasn't a specific date to get the note handed in, but I'm sure Zach will be happy to get it handed in.
Thank you. I do enjoy having Zach in our class!
Mrs. Jessee
I'm not exactly sure what Mrs. Jessee found enjoyable about my note. I am a detailed person, perhaps she enjoyed my explanation of Zach's concern about his "red note".
Perhaps it was the way I followed the "lines" on Zach's specially made lined paper.
Perhaps it was my "Apollonionism" shining through; which is sometimes annoying to those who know me best, but hopefully sometimes it is just as equally... an endearment.
Regardless of the reason; I enjoyed receiving a note from Mrs. Jessee and I have saved it. One day, perhaps when Zach is an old man, he will see the note that his kindergarten teacher wrote to his Grandma and he will realize that if the note was important enough for his Grandma to save, how much more important is Zach to Grandma. I agree with Mrs. Jessee; I enjoy having Zach in "our class!"
Thursday, May 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You are a fabulous grandma! What an endearing yet humorous post...the word 'delightful' comes to mind! Those are the types of memories life should be made of.
You are the best Grandma!!!! What a smart boy following instructions.
The teacher's note will be a family keepsake. More precious as the years go by.
I think she found it enjoyable because she probably thought YOU drew the lines.... no Zach! LOL!!
Zach sounds like a very bright and consciences student!! You are a very resourceful Grandma!!
What a fun story!! I am not surprised at all that your note to the teacher was detailed and that she knew you had Zach's back!
Hahaha! I'm reading Lileenz comment. That's funny.
and you are such a good grandma Les. And Zach is a delightful little guy.
Post a Comment