It has been nearly 48 years since this green card was issued to me. Several years ago my Mother gave it to me to keep in my possession. She told me that it was very important and to never lose it or 'let it out of my hands'. Today it came in handy.The last several months have been kind of busy for me, so it came as a surprise when a few days after my birthday I remembered that my drivers license needed to be renewed and was now... expired.
I knew that there were some new requirements for getting a drivers license; among some of the items needed were my birth certificate or a valid passport or naturalization papers or a valid unexpired permanent resident card... It occurred to me yesterday as I was planning my outing to the Driver's License Division (DLD), that my British birth certificate didn't suffice. I needed one of the other items mentioned.
I called the DLD to verify my concerns (no help at all), I called my Mother about my naturalization papers (I don't have any of my own; that's my next project... to get them), I called both of my Irish born brothers to see if they had experienced similar situations, they both have valid passports; I called my attorney son to see if he could find me a phone number for the Ogden Courthouse where my parents became citizens, when I made the phone call the 2nd District Court couldn't help me; but... Andy did give me some good advice concerning what could happen if I was caught driving with an expired license (thanks son).
My Mother called me back and suggested that I take my green card, it should qualify. I knew exactly where it was, in my cedar chest under two piles of boxes in the garage. I quickly retrieved it (well, not too quickly... two piles of boxes after all).
Mike came on his lunch hour and drove me to the DLD. Of course you know what I faced there, tons of people all waiting for their turns. I filled out the necessary forms and stood in a short line at the first desk. The young woman there was very robotic as I heard her say the same thing over and over to each person she helped. No smiles, no emotion. When it was my turn and I showed her my birth certificate she wanted to know what state it was from. Ummmm... the state of Belfast, Northern Ireland state (I didn't really say that). Once she realized that it was from another country she quickly informed me that I needed a valid passport. I showed her my green card but no, that wasn't good enough.
My frustration that I feared would come was building. I know these employees are not the ones who make the rules, and they deal with a lot of grumpy people, so they are usually prepared with the answers. When she informed me that it was the law I said to her, "well who made that law?" Yes, I really did say that. Ummmm.... her response, "the Federal Government." No smile, no emotion from DLD lady.
I was told that I could get a temporary license until I got my passport. She took my picture (ask to see my picture, it reflects the way I was feeling at the moment) and gave me a number, I still had to wait for my turn at one of the windows. As I sat there I felt frustration and a bit of anger. I had never in my life felt like a foreigner in my own country. It hurt a little. I felt tears coming to my eyes (oh great, now I was going to cry), but I quickly composed myself.
When my number was called and I went to the window I quickly produced all of the items that I had brought. During the time that I had been waiting I decided that my green card was a valid unexpired permanent resident card and I was going to 'play it'. When I showed it to the woman who was helping me she showed a little bit of interest, but then told me that it wasn't a particular form as was outlined on the instruction sheet. I quickly (and kindly... things go better for you if you are kind) explained to her that I was issued this card 48 years ago and the form that she wanted didn't even exist 48 years ago. I held my breath as she turned it over to another woman who went into a back office for several minutes. When she returned she proceeded to make a copy of my card, I took that as a good sign, and was elated and very relieved when I was told it qualified.
After my DLD eye exam and paying for my new license I went back to where Mike was waiting for me. The room was still crowded and there were several people waiting at the desk of the first woman, the one who refused my green card. We had to walk past her in order to leave the building and as I walked by her desk I kept glancing her way hoping to catch her eye, suddenly I could hear Mike's lowered voice behind me, "keep walking, keep walking." He knows me and I'm sure he was expecting to see my new license being waved in the air for her to see and possibly some statement about 'freckles' coming from my mouth. I seriously wasn't going to do that... at least I don't think so.
9 comments:
While I was reading that I couldn't help but wonder, "Is she going to tell them what to do with their freckles?" What a nightmare story, but I love the Green Card part! I have a green card too-maybe I'll have to write about mine...
Way to go! I was in suspense the whole time I was reading. I am glad the outcome was good....My mother just brought me my birth certificate for my renewal next year. I CAN wait for the experience. As I have already stated....'They' saw it when I got my original license. Why show it again?
Wow what an ordeal! It seems like such a ridiculous process. I was at the DMV for 4 hours earlier this year just to get my new car registered. 3 hours and 90 minutes of that was basically spent in line. You were smart to be (kindly) aggressive. I especially liked the bit at the end of Uncle Mike telling you to keep walking :) So funny
Who knew!!!!! I suffered a lot of time and effort in Belfast going thru the hoops for you to qualify for that green card, and I don't think in all these years any of us have ever had to use them, BUT we have them.
God Bless America!!!!
You were GREAT!!!!!!
The temptation is strong to be aggressive but you done good!!!!
So glad everyone was able to keep their freckles. AND glad you goto your DL!!!
Wow, what an unpleasant experience, Les. I better go look for my green card and/or naturalization papers and/or passport. My DL is up for renewal this year and I'm not allowed to renew by mail because you can only do it 2x in a row in Cali. Pretending to be a ditzy but very smiley and nice Asian immigrant did work for me in the past every time I want to get something or get away with something (like a speeding ticket):-) but I don't think that will fly well now that I'm 48 :-)
Jeff and I both had to renew our driver's license this last March and I was glad Jeff and figured out everything we had needed to take with us. It wasn't too bad when I went, but that place is never very pleasant, especially when you have little kids you are dragging along with you.
Congratulations on emerging victorious. Glad everyone has their freckles intact. :-)
Glad it worked out for you Les. I'm also glad I still have my green card.
Post a Comment