
Recently I hosted an Aunt Lesley/Grandma Day for the boys in my family ages 6-14. That included Adam, Zachary, Derek, Jacob and Michael.
We ate pizza, bread sticks, candy and soda pop to our hearts (and stomachs) content while we watched an Indiana Jones movie. I think everyone enjoyed themselves... I know I did.
It has been a long while since a group of boys have hung out at my house. It's amazing how much you can forget... and how quickly you can be reminded.
Boys can sometimes be goofy, they laugh at the parts in the movie that they aren't supposed to and they are grossed out by the kissing scenes. They like to romp around and pretend fight, and find it to be very entertaining... and for some reason think that it entertains you as well. I recognize that even though times change and fads and styles come and go, boys will always be boys. The few hours spent with my grandsons and nephews that afternoon brought back a lot of memories of my own three sons that make me smile... and some that make me cry. Here are just a few:
I remember movie days. I couldn't count how many times my boys were entertained with "Peewee Herman's big adventure" or how many times I was called into the room to watch the scene with 'Large Marge'.
I remember when the first Nintendo game system came into our home. That was an exciting day. I actually got a little hooked on it myself late at night after they all went to bed... I had to nip that one in the bud.
I remember sending a son to scout camp early in the morning before the sun was out, "I can go by myself mom", he said, after my suggestion that I walk with him to the home where they were meeting. Reluctantly I sent him out the door; but seconds later I was following him in the dark, hiding behind trees and bushes until I saw him safely there... and all the time, wearing my fuzzy bathrobe.
I remember a son selling bubblegum to the neighbor kids for 10 cents apiece, or two for 25 cents... is it any surprise that he owns his own business now?
I remember the day I answered the telephone (long before caller ID) and a man at the other end of the phone asked, "is this Mrs. Leger?" When I informed him that it was, he lost all control and had a mini break-down on the other end of the line. He was the elementary school bus driver, and he called to inform me that my two boys were causing him some major distress while they were riding the bus to and from school each day. When the phone call ended I immediately went to the school and retrieved two boys from their classes. One of them was so happy to see me; his class was having a read-a-thon that day and surely Mom was bringing him some treats to enjoy while he read... NOT!! The three of us had a PMI (personal mom interview) in the foyer. For the rest of the week I escorted them to and from the bus stop, exchanging thumbs up and smiles with the bus driver indicating a successful bus ride. I never heard from the bus driver again.
On the other hand, I remember another bus driver who very nearly lost his freckles when he misjudged and mistreated one of my boys. Of course, rather than causing one (in this case the bus driver) to lose his freckles, it is better to have a discussion on what-did-we-learn-from-this-experience with your child, even when it was not the child's fault.
I remember being invited to BHS to make a special announcement over the intercom system for one of my sons. I also remember that if one my boys didn't get asked to a girls choice dance, I teasingly would say to them "do I need to go to that school and get on the intercom and say, 'what's wrong with you girls?'"
I also remember attending a choral concert at BHS where all of the choirs performed a final number together. The song was "In Heaven's Eyes" and the students were doing sign language as they were singing. My two sons were on opposite sides of the room, I remember my eyes roving from one side of the room to the other as I watched these two boys signing the beautiful message of this song. It brought tears to this Mom's eyes.
I remember ball games, recitals, plays, field trips, concerts, vacations, drivers ed, camping, mountain man rendezvous, cub scouts, fund raisers, cherry hill, golfing, birthday parties, stitches, surgeries, throwing up, earaches, tears....
I also remember that I never had to argue with a son about wearing a white shirt and a tie to church, I don't think I ever had to argue with a son about going to church, I remember mission calls, hugs from returning missionaries, young boys serving their sick little sister, priesthood ordinations, teenage boys who adored their little sister, report cards, graduations....
My boys are grown men now. They are husbands and fathers. They serve in church callings. They have careers. One can give me legal counsel, one sold my house for me, and one is my boss.
As much as I love these three boys with all of my heart....

... once in awhile; I wish that I could spend one more afternoon with these three boys.

10 comments:
What fantastic men they are. I have great memories of those young men also. They have blessed my life. Your whole family has blessed my life. Way to go!
I love the 2 for 25 cents story. It reminds me of another one of your sons who successfully went around the neighborhood selling those flimsy plastic baskets that strawberries come in for a quarter a piece. And he became a lawyer. Nice post Les!
There is something special about boys, especially to their moms. I never really understood that before I had Max. I'm already a little sad for the day when he will no longer want to hug and kiss and snuggle with me.
Interestingly enough, I am still smack dab in the middle of the chaos that comes with boys. Having never had a daughter, I've never had the opportunity to see the "opposition in all things" where daughters are concerned. So, I deal daily with all that you mentioned. All the way from elementary school to those glorious hugs from returned missionaries and the bittersweet thought of one about to start that paperwork.
I too have never had to argue about white shirts, ties, or even going to church. And from what I've been told, they are great young men and even without having a baby sister, they treat girls with great respect. Ahh the joys of my boys. Thanks for making me cry.
PS - Your boys are AWESOME and I love them all!
Awww..love this post!
That brought tears to my eyes! And a smile to my face. I was encouraged by how good your boys have 'turned out' despite a 'few phone calls' here and there.
You've raised a fabulous family. I'm so grateful for your example.
Thank you for "allowing" us to share in your joys and sorrows. :o)and thank you for the memories. You have remembered a lot
It brings to mind many experiences. I am so glad
Families are Forever
Mom: So, how did you like Lesley's Blog?
Dad: How did I like Lesley's blog? Have you looked at my eyes?
Our two girls have a great gift for writing. :o)
He was crying :o(
Thanks for that perspective from a new mom :)
I think your kids are pretty great and I'm glad they are my cousins!
What I wouldn't give to have some of those days back! Thanks for reminding me of happy, innocent times! I loved strolling down memory lane with you then and now!
Post a Comment