Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Letter of the Law

Two weeks ago at our Weight Watchers meeting our leader challenged us to not eat any Halloween candy until Halloween. This meant not eating any candy that came from the Halloween aisle at the grocery store, or candy corn, or Halloween colored m&m's, etc.... of course, she explained, we could still eat candy from the "regular" candy aisle (and I must insert here, if you choose to eat candy you do have to count points). I am always ready to take on a challenge such as this, so I committed myself to not eat any Halloween candy, until Halloween.

I have a jar full of candy corn (decorative purposes only... they don't appeal to me) and I have a jar full of Halloween wrapped Hershey Kisses (decorative purposes only... and they totally appeal to me), but I am determined to achieve my goal. I found it coincidental that our leader mentioned Halloween peanut m&m's during her challenge to our group because peanut m&m's (my favs) have become my Saturday treat; I especially love them poured over hot, buttered popcorn. On this particular Saturday, when my WW leader had mentioned m&m's, I had to fore go my previously-opened-and-still-half-full-bag-of-Halloween-m&m's to go to the store and buy a bag that are not Halloween colors... hence, the letter of the law.

I have plenty of candy on hand, ready for the trick-or-treaters. I have Hershey Kisses and candy corn that haven't been touched. I still have a bag of Halloween peanut m&m's sitting in the pantry; untouched, but in a moment I will go downstairs and open a brand new bag of original colored peanut m&m's, because where m&m's are concerned... I'm living the letter of the law.


What are your favorite Halloween-candies-that-aren't-in-Halloween-bags-or-wrappers-so-you-can-follow-the-letter-of-the-law-too?

7 comments:

Lilian said...

I have jars of candy like that in my house. It changes every month depending on the season or whatever. Sometimes the jars get emptied fast, sometimes the candy just sits. But guess who never touches it?? ME! Unless it's individually wrapped.

Bea said...

I wouldn't dare display candy in my house, "you know who" would devour it and "you know who" is not ME!!!

Unknown said...

LOL Granma! It's not the candy that gets me, It's the cookie dough I keep refrigerated.

Georgia said...

I love Butterfinger candy bars (they have been my favorite since I was a child). I always buy a big bag of those just before Halloween. I learned years ago to not buy the candy weeks or even days before the holiday because there wouldn't be any left when the trick-or-treaters showed up.

Halloween is NOT my favorite holiday now that I don't have little kids. Rob and I usually go catch a movie that night after the littlest kids have been around. That way we don't have to answer the door way after dark when it is the teenagers making the rounds.

Stecky said...

I love all Halloween candy. Sadly, I can no longer partake. But I love to entice others to sin with all candy and homemade treats.

Stecky said...

ps. sorry I ran out on you the other day. I have been meaning to call and apologize. i just didn't want to sit up front with the fledgling driver. We race to get the back seat these days.

Margie said...

I am so impressed with your self discipline Les!! I loved seeing you last month and I was impressed with how great you and Miked look.

I still have my two squares of Symphony every day after lunch and some days I need a few more. I am usually satisfied to stick to two, but not always. I have found moderation in all things is a good way to live. I get to enjoy some chocolate, and yet still feel healthy :)