Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Singing Time

I think that this is the longest I have ever gone between posts. I'm going to do better, I have a plan, eventually I will implement it.

In my last post I mentioned my new church assignment as primary chorister. I love it! Each month we learn a new song that goes along with the monthly theme. For March our song is from the hymn book... "I Stand All Amazed". I felt strongly that while learning such a sacred hymn, fun and games and "hiding notes" would not be appropriate.

I referred to the churches "Sharing Time Outline" for an idea on teaching the song, and with a little added help from an idea I saw on Pinterest, felt confident about my singing time preparation. The first Sunday in March I went to primary ready to teach the song.

When the Jr. Primary children (ages 3-7) came to primary I quickly realized teaching the song to them that day wasn't going to happen. They were full of wiggles. Even spending our 20 minutes together singing wiggle songs didn't quite get the wiggles out. The children in Sr. Primary (ages 8-11) learned the song beautifully. My heart was touched. I knew that I was going to have to come up with a plan to capture the Jr. Primary's attention the next week in order to learn such a "non-wiggly" song as "I Stand All Amazed".

Our Jr. Primary is probably half the size of our Sr. Primary. I came up with a plan a little out of my comfort zone, but I felt confident it could work. I took my favorite quilt to primary and when it was time to sing I spread my quilt on the floor and invited all of the children to come sit on it. I sat down with them and we covered every inch of that quilt.

I showed the same pictures to the younger children that I had shared with the older children the previous week. We discussed the big words in the song. I asked them to show me their "amazed" faces and their "confused" faces. I sang a line to them and had them sing the line back to me. They were so sweet. Such a simple idea but something different that brought us together and kept their attention and helped them to learn a sacred song without fun and games and "hiding notes".

3 comments:

Stecky said...

I am so glad your inspired plan worked. Way to go!

Unknown said...

Good job! Way to go! You got this! ;-)♡♥

Tiffany said...

Oh how I have missed your blogging stories AND of course missed you too.