Friday, March 14, 2008

My First Baby Is 30!!


It was on Tuesday March 14, 1978 that my first baby, Andy arrived. I was a very proud Mommy to have delivered a 9 lb. 2 oz. baby boy (I was only 19). He was the first grandchild in both families and everyone was excited. I was reading my remarks throughout his baby book the other day and decided to post what I wrote on August 4, 1981: "Andy is a smart little boy....At almost 3 1/2 I feel he's as smart as any kindergartener....He knows his alphabet, colors, counts to 20; knows circles, squares, triangles and rectangles; he sings songs with perfect tune and tempo. He can write his own first name. He still loves books as he has since a small baby. He's a very bright and special boy!" Through the years Andy's talents have amazed me. At an early age we recognized his talent for music. It has been a blessing for which I have been very grateful in my life. When Andy walks into a room where there is a piano it is not long before he is sitting down and playing it. But what I love the most is when he plays and sings. In High School Andy became involved in theatre. One of my most memorable moments was when Andy was a Sr. and performed the role of Archibald Craven in The Secret Garden at BHS. I went to the dress rehearsal so that I could take some pictures and as he stood there on the stage and sang Lily's Eyes it was absolutely incredible to me, I couldn't believe that was my little boy. Andy has always been a comfort to his Mom. We have had many long talks over the years. Particularly in his teenage years. About two and a half years ago, He and I drove to St. George and back in one day. I enjoyed having Mom and Andy time. When I got home I told Mike that it was the most quantity time that I had had with Andy since the days when I was a stay at home Mom and he was the only child. Throughout his life he has worked hard, served a mission, studied hard in school and earned a law degree. I'm pleased with all those things, but I'm especially pleased with the husband and father that he is. His 3 boys absolutly adore him, and he them. As I finish this post I feel I must confess something. With all of Andy's talents and abilities that I've mentioned, I need to say that as a very young boy with a very young Mom raising him, sometimes all his talents and abilities were a bit overwhelming for me. He had this great big spirit packed into this little body. And then one day some years back I looked at him and realized that his body had finally grown to match the size of his spirit, and I have to smile as I say, "what a magnificent spirit it is!!!" Happy birthday Son, your Mom loves you XOXOX

3 comments:

Bea said...

Hooray for Andy! He has the best Mom!!! I remembere when he played "The King" in "Joseph...." He almost brought the house down (BHS) I was so proud of him, I wanted everyone to know"He is ours"Happy Birthday Lesley and Andt
Bea

em said...

What a sweet post Lesley! You are such a good mom--it was fun to hear your thoughts, and to hear about some of the great qualities Andy has!!

Lilian said...

Awww.... such a tender post! My cute little baby nephew is a big lawer man now!! I love to hear him play the piano and sing!! He's one of my most faovorite nephews! Happy Birthday Andy!!!!