Thursday, May 29, 2008

I Told Her What To Do With Her Freckles

I've been a little blog happy this past week but here I go again. I had a little experience at the gas station yesterday that I thought would be worth sharing. But first I must preface it with a story from the past. When I was quite pregnant with my first child I was a working girl. I worked at the church office building with a lot of other working girls. One girl (we'll call her...Debbie....'cause that was her name) was there for just a short time before leaving on a mission. She was the kind of girl I'd have stayed away from in jr. high or high school. Kind of intimidating, the mean girl type. Debbie had more freckles on her face than I'd ever seen on a face before. One day as all of the girls in the office were going on a break together, Debbie thought it would be funny to stick out her foot and trip me (remember I'm about 6 months pregnant). When I recovered from the trip I looked her strait in the eye and said, "you ever do anything like that again, I'll pull all those freckles off your face and shove them down your throat." Over the years as I've shared experiences of people "bugging" me, my father-in-law has said to me, "Hap, did you tell 'em what to do with their freckles?" So for yesterdays story. I've been going to Chevron on 4th north and 5th west for years to fill up my car. For well over a year now I've meticulously and successfully planned to fill my car every other Wednesday because you get a free carwash when you use your Chevron card and you get at least 8 gallons. Due to the rising cost of gas (Chevron, most expensive) I've been filling up at Costco all winter. But yesterday I decided that I was going to Chevron because my car was filthy and they have the best carwash. Mike decides he's going too. But first, I (Apollonian) have to call Chevron and make sure they still do the Wednesday deal. When the lady answers, I ask my question. She responds "yes". So off to Chevron. After filling our cars Mike and I both go into the mini, mini mart to present our receipts and get our carwash codes. The lady asks, "are you the one who called on the phone?" I give her a big smile (I always try to be a friendly customer) and I tell her that I am. She then goes off on this lecture about how she is sorry but she has no patience for people calling her on the phone. She's there all alone and if the phone rings she has to answer it (I work at a Drs. office and have 5 telephone lines to answer, charts to take care of and patients to check-in, often all at the same time), Mike and I are just standing there listening as she goes on and on, and then she hands us our "free" carwash codes...you know the ones that cost us 3.85 and 9/10 a gallon to qualify for. She continues by saying if we want to know about the carwash, just come in to get our gas and ask about it when we get there. I took my carwash and smiled and said "thanks," then looked her in the eye and added, "I don't want to come in and ask about the carwash, if I'm not going to get a free carwash I'm going to Costco to get my gas." Her mouth was left open and speechless. I think I pretty much told her what to do with her freckles.

10 comments:

Tiffany said...

Go Leslie Go! You sound like you should be "Ariel"-headstrong and feisty!
P.S. Hope I never get on your bad side!

Lilian said...

Me, being me, would have actually used the freckle phrase. I can imagine you even said it in your nicest tone! Kind of like waiting at Customs at JFK and thinking how unpleasant everyone is and all I hear from Lesley is, "Thank you, thank you, thank you...." as all the long ugly faces glare at us with intollerance at us being there. Then I say, "why be nice?" Lesley says something about always wanting to be nice and smile even when others are mean.... blah, blah, blah.....

I'm just glad I have a good example to look up to! ;-)

BobN said...

You go girl! :-)

em said...

That is a great story, Lesley. I still can't believe somebody would trip you BEING pregnant!!! And what a rude lady to have to deal with at the Chevron, ughhh!!!

Tiffany said...

I am so embarrassed! I totally spelt your name wrong. Duh-of course I know better-SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melissa said...

HAHAHA Thank you for improving the quality of our already 151% awesome family! This was an awesome story! Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany said...

Sorry to leave a third comment. Mike "doesn't blog" but I told him your story and he COULDN'T believe an employee would say that-and he loved your response. He loved even more your comment to the girl 20+ years ago.

Stephanie said...

Hey, I think today I will call Chevron and ask about the car wash!!!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

I'm glad you're nice, Les, but I'm also glad that now and again you tell people what to do with their frickin' freckles :-) Yeah!

Margie said...

I had never heard the feckles story in my life. I really laughed, and I can't believe she tried to trip you. I have just recently read a book called "Your Perfect Right" that deals with assertiveness training, and I all I have to say is Way to go Les, you handled that great!