Sunday, July 27, 2008
Days of '47 part 1: The Parade
In Utah we celebrate Pioneer Day or The Days of '47 on July 24 every year. This is in commemoration of the first Mormon pioneers who entered the Salt Lake valley in 1847. They left their homes in the east after being persecuted for their beliefs and treked across the country making many sacrifices along the way, for some the ultimate sacrifice. In the years following 1847, thousands of pioneers made their way across the plains. Many came from other countries crossing the ocean by ship, and then had to cross the country in covered wagons and many pulling handcarts. I've always thought that I didn't have any pioneer heritage (my children do through my husbands family), but I have come to realize that my parents were pioneers too; in 1962 they left their homeland, family, friends, and belongings and traveled across the ocean (by plane) and then across the country (by train, not wagon train but the California Zephir) to make a new home and a better life for their young family. I am so grateful for that. There are many celebrations each July 24 throughout the state. In Bountiful there is a parade attended by thousands each year. Many go a day early to place their chairs on the sidewalks and streets to reserve their spots. It's a time for fun, enjoyment, and community spirit as we watch the parade wind it's way down Main Street. This year I was a volunteer at the parade. In fact, I wasn't really a volunteer, I was asked to fulfill a church assignment and help at the parade. Another woman and I were stationed together on the south end of Main Street where we were to hold up signs as the parade passed letting the floats, cars, bands, etc. know if they need to speed up or slow down. We wore orange vests signifying that we were parade officials. We found a driveway approach to an apartment complex where nobody was sitting and decided to stand there so that we wouldn't be in front of anyone, blocking their view to the parade. There were people all around us but not on the approach where we stood. After we had been there several minutes a young woman put her blanket down right in front of us, in fact the blanket was touching our feet. She put all of her children on the blanket. She didn't even look at us or say anything. It was as if we were invisible. We quietly moved to the side of them. A few minutes later she asked us to move (remember, we were there first), my associate explained to her what we were doing, but when she didn't accept that answer my associate then kindly told her that we were there first. The young woman was very rude to us and made it clear that the parade was for the patrons (as volunteers we were trying to make it nicer for the "patrons"). She accused us of not caring about the children who were watching (the same children she literally placed on our feet). Within a couple of minutes a man (senior citizen) approached us, he was shaking and mad. He started accusing us (loudly) of not caring about the children, everytime we opened our mouths to try and defend ourselves he just talked over us. He asked for my name and when I wouldn't give it to him he pulled out this huge (I mean professional) camera and informs me he's going to take my picture. I turned my head to avoid the camera (he was in my face) and he proceeds to circle me as I turned my head back and forth trying to avoid his bullying. At this point the people directly around us started saying rude things and I could see another woman aiming her camera at us. Needless to say this was a frightening situation. I won't be going to the parade again as a "volunteer" or as a "patron". Even though I'm recording this experience, I really just want to forget it. In the immediate hours following the incident when I could think of nothing else, I realized (for the ba-zillionth time in my life) that there isn't much I can do about how others act, only how I do. I feel proud of how I handled it. I walked away. My spirit was hurt a lot. I had a couple of tears stinging my eyes behind my sunglasses. I said a little prayer that I could forgive them their trespasses. I decided to make this a learning experience and reminded myself that in daily interactions with others to be more patient, less judgemental, kinder, listen to others, be compassionate, show love, think, be forgiving, be humble, etc. People bullied, threatened, and harrassed the pioneers, they made them leave the spot where they were first. They left and found another spot; I'm grateful for that and I'm grateful for my pioneer heritage.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I still can't believe that would happen! When I told my family about it, they couldn't believe it either. You have a very good attitude about it, even though I still think you should write to the Clipper!
PS-When's the next GNO? I had a lot of fun!
Way to make lemonade with the lemons given you.:o)It is not fair how people act and treat us. I know you are not the villain, unfortunately we do not have control over other peoples actions, only over our reactions, and you did splendidly. YOU ARE THE BEST.
I think you should have told him what to do with his freckles!! And if he didn't have them, we could arrange for him to have some... and then tell him what to do with them!!!
But then again, you are you, and I am me. That's why YOU are the better example to ME!
Lesley, I would make whoever was over you aware of the situation and ask what could have been done differently. I would also suggest you have walkie talkies to call for help. I am glad everything is okay, but what if, because of drugs or alcohol, the situation had turned violent? The parade officials need to be aware and work out a better way to handle the crowds. talk to you about it more- later
This is a pretty intense experience Les! I think you handled it really well. I don't think I would have. I would have told the old fart to get his frickin' camera off my face or I'll have my filipino home boys find him and put him in a walker before his time. I wouldn't really call the Filipino mafia (I don't know any!) but I'd tell him that to scare him and see if he'd pee his pants! Uhhhh ---that makes me mad how they behaved towards you. Some people are unbelievable. I hope those people are not LDS. How disappointing if they are.
Unbelievable! People taking pictures...I really can't understand it! Guess I didn't realize how important the parade view was. Good for you for walking away, I am sure you got major bonus points for "agreeing with thine adversary quickly while they were in your way"...
Wow, Les...I just re-read my previous comments and I can't believe I said those things :-)I was really, really mad when I first read your post so I got carried away. BUT I still think those people are awful!!!And you set a good example to me by not reacting like me.
I love Marivic! We all would rush to your defense. It's too bad someone wasn't there with a video camera. That would have been interesting for those people to watch. I'm sure they would have been embarrassed if they had seen how they behaved. Those parades seem to bring out the worse in people....that's why I quit going a few years ago....quite a few years ago.
Before we moved here, I had heard stories about people camping out long in advance to stake out their spot, it was all light-hearted and fun. After all, this is a parade and parades are supposed to be fun.
Between your experience and ours, it seems like we have coined a new term "parade rage".
How very sad. I wonder what has happened to people.
Sorry that happened to you. I would suggest to the organizers marked-off areas with signs, where the volunteers hang out.
Post a Comment