Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Days of '47 part 2: The Osmonds

I was fourteen years old when I fell in love with the Osmonds. I actually only fell in love with Donny, but I loved the music of the whole group. I take full responsibility for introducing my siblings to the Osmonds (sorry sisters-in-law), my own children grew up listening to their music as well. For some reason when an Osmond song comes on, particularly Love Me For A Reason, someone grabs the nearest microphone substitute and starts lip syncing (it is rumored that one of my sons while attending the same party as Waynes daughter sang an Osmond song for her...seriously. I won't say who it is but I'll give his initials J. Leger or....Jeff L.). It's always a lot of fun. I attribute my ear for harmony to the fact that I listened to their albums and harmonized with the Osmonds in my youth. It would have been my dream come true to see an Osmond concert in the 70's, but it never happened. In my teenage years the famous brothers didn't even perform in Utah; but I have had a few Osmond sightings over the years including seeing Donny in concert three years ago and a few years back seeing him in "Joseph..." but my teenage dream came true on July 26; as part of the Days of '47 celebration the Osmonds performed at the Conference Center with the Tabernacle Choir. Mike and I took Caitlin and Chelsea (who are both at the age I was when I first fell in love with the Osmonds) and we were pretty excited to discover that our seats were way down in the front. All seven of the performing Osmonds were there, and near the end they invited their two older brothers up to the stage to do sign language for their final numbers. It was an amazing evening and we all loved it. It was hard to hold back the tears as they performed Through the Years and photos of the family were displayed on the big screens, even the Osmonds had a difficult time singing through their tears.The Osmonds will always be one of the fondest memories of my youth. I'm glad my daughter was able to see them in her teenage years; and that she was there when one of my teenage dreams was fulfilled.

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm sad I missed that concert-for Park City with my family! I know I would have loved it. I'm glad you were able to go. Did Caitlin fall in love with Donny? Or is he too old and she's chosen to stay in love with....

Bea said...

Lots of memories. But some we will keep to ourselves. But I did survive the Osmonds and any other group you kids liked. :o) Good blog. And it's okay for the "next" generation to like 'em too. Ipods do have there uses.

Lilian said...

Yep, as I think I recently told you, I remember being "lectured" by you when I was just 13 and in "love" with Scott Baio!! You told me that I should love a Mormon boy like you did with Donny Osmond! HA HA... there weren't many Mormon boys for me to admire in my teen years!!

I also remember before Dad finished the walls in the basement, the bedroom we shared had Donny Osmond written all over the walls... or "Mrs. Donny Osmond" and stuff like that!

But yeah, Donny is still smokin' hot!

Lilian said...

PS- I should re-phrase:

there weren't many Mormon boys who were CELEBRITIES for me to admire in my teen years. There were however, plenty of Mormon boys in my every day life.

Little GrumpyAngel said...

I'm so happy for you that you got your "dream come true" concert, Les. I would have probaby fallen in love with Donny, too, except I didn't know who the Osmonds were until my family joined the church in the mid 70's. But being one of your little brother's wife has made me a fan by default. We also lip sync/sing along to LOVE ME FOR A REASON in our house. The "facsimile' part does crack me up.

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Ummm did I say "one of your little brother's wife"? Kind of grammatically awkward and if you switch "wife" to "wives" makes it sound like I'm from a polygamist clan. Which the Marsdens absolutely are NOT! :-)Neither are the Osmonds. I have to say that just in case you have "lurkers" and "stalkers" visiting your blog. I don't want them to get the wrong idea :-)

Lesley said...

I think to make it gramatically (I hope I spelt it correct) correct it would be: "...the wife of one of your younger brothers." :-)

Bea said...

Ain't it great, now we are correcting each other's english grammar :o)