As a mom to three sons I knew that the day would come when additional "daughters" would join our family, I feel very grateful for the choices that my sons made in their wives. Melissa was the second daughter-in-law to join our family when she and Jeff were married in the Bountiful Temple on October 20, 2004. Knowing Melissa, and having her in my family has truly blessed my life.I was the first one in our family to meet Melissa. While I was serving as Relief Society president Melissa's sister Kathryn moved into our ward. One evening my presidency went to visit Kathryn and welcome her into the neighborhood, Melissa was there also, she sat quietly off to the side and was playing with Kathryn's new baby. During the visit I turned my attention to Melissa and started to talk with her, at some point I asked her if she was dating anyone; I told her that I had a good looking son (can you believe I did that?). It was several weeks later that Kathryn and I exchanged Jeff's and Melissa's phone numbers in the hallway at church and as they say... the rest is history.
Melissa has a great sense of humor and there have been times when she has made me laugh really hard. Case in point: while Jeff and Melissa dated they spent a lot of time at our house, oftentimes in the family room downstairs. Once in awhile, probably more often than not, if I was coming down the stairs I would knock on the wall (teasingly) letting them know that I was approaching.
Melissa is very motivated and hard working. She graduated from WSU with a Bachelors degree in Dental Hygiene in May of 2007. Hygiene school is a difficult program to be accepted into and Melissa did it. Before and during her schooling she worked for a Dentist, following graduation she worked as a Hygienist until Avery was born.
A few months ago Jeff invited Mike, Caitlin, and I over for dinner and to watch a sporting event on TV. I am not very interested in watching sports on TV and so I spent the entire evening sitting at Melissa's kitchen counter visiting with her. I enjoyed our conversation so much and left that night feeling uplifted. Amazingly, Melissa was flying to Kentucky the next day, if I had been leaving on a trip like that the next day, I would have been running around like crazy preparing to leave. But not Melissa, she fixed us a nice dinner and spent the entire evening talking to her mother-in-law.
Things to know about Melissa: She is a wonderful wife and mother. She has naturally curly hair. She was living in Germany when the Berlin Wall came down. She keeps her home spotlessly clean. She decorates beautifully.
We always feel welcome and comfortable in her home. She's funny. She's organized. She enjoys to play board games and card games. She can swing dance. She taught me how to crochet the edges on baby blankets. She is patient. She thinks of others. She teaches "Sunbeams". She magnifies her callings. She is a good cook. She is very wise with her resources. She made her own baby food for Avery. She teaches Avery baby sign language. She loves purses. She is good at photography. She always looks good. She loves being a mommy. She serves others. She's always willing to share her talents and abilities with the rest of us. She loves the Lord. She's kind. We are all grateful and blessed that Melissa is in our family and we love her.
Melissa's family: Jeffrey, Melissa, and Miss Avery
11 comments:
I love Melissa too. I've always been impressed with her crafting abilities. I thoroughly enjoyed taking their pictures last fall. It was evident from the very beginning that she is an awesome mom. Little Miss Avery is such a good baby and always so happy. I've enjoyed getting to know Melissa over the years and am so glad she is part of our family!!
Melissa is an incredible wife and mother. The first thing Avery does when I get her out of bed is points to where she thinks her mom is. Or when Melissa comes home from somewhere, Avery's face lights up when she comes through the door. We both love her so much, as I am sure the new baby coming in August will too.
What???!!!! I just read Jeff's comment. Am I the last to know or is this the announcement? Regardless...Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you and for all of us too.
Melissa is wonderful! I have always been so impressed with Melissa and she has so many gifts and talents. I love how supportive she is of our family. It meant so much to me last year when on her own on a cold winter day, she brought little Avery out for her very first time to church to come to Sean's farewell. Jeff was out of town and it would have been so easy not to bring little baby Avery out but she did and I really appreciated her support.
I know what a big deal it is to get into the Dental Hygiene program
and I am very impressed and proud of Melissa for doing that.
I love Melissa and I think we all feel like Avery and want to hold out our hands to be close to Melissa.
I love Melissa. For awhile I was the only daughter-in-law in the Leger fam and I looked forward to meeting the future girls that would marry Jeff and Jeremy. When Melissa and Jeff were dating I couldn't have been more thrilled! I thought from the beginning that they were a perfect match!
Melissa is amazingly talented and kind to everyone. I also love being in her home--she does make everyone feel very comfortable, even the cute little monsters that accompany Andy and I to family events. :) They know their Aunt Melissa loves them.
Like other have said, Melissa is great at crafts and coming up with new ideas! I am grateful that I have crafty relatives because I'm not--Melissa was super patient with me recently when I was attempting to craft. I feel lucky to know Melissa and to call her a friend.
Congratulations to Jeff and Melissa! Another baby to love and to bless the whole family with joy.
I don't know Melissa as much as I would want to, but I have always been impressed by what I have observed about her. I see her as kind and loving and nurturing. It is apparent she adores Avery and Jeff. I admire her creativity and her gift for arts and crafts. From what I can observe long distance, of the entire family she may be the one with my same affinity for warm, striking colors. But she has better taste of course :-) I'm glad she is part of the family.
Well, you know I have to make a comment on this post!
Melissa is my dearest friend... I don't know what I would do without her. She if full of goodness and kindness.
Melissa is a woman of faith.
She is strong and she is steadfast and holds to the things she believes in.
Everytime she comes to Kentucky to visit (no matter how long she stays) I cry when she leaves. It is never enough. I miss her so much.
I'm just so grateful to have such an amazing person as a sister and best friend. She inspires me to be a little better.
I'm also so grateful that your family sees her goodness and loves her so much.
She's a keeper! ;)
We love Melissa too. Congratulations on being pregnant! It's fun to watch the family grow.
First of all...Congrats! That is a very exciting thing to just learn about...I love Melissa too...I really admire her ability to craft. She is so sweet and fun and I'm glad she is in our family!
Melissa is the best. She is brave to take on this family :o) but our family would not be complete without her. She always treats G'pa and I with love and respect. We enjoy visiting in her home or welcoming her to ours. Good choice Jeffrey, and to add Miss Avery what a choice blest family we have.
All love together.
Wow, I can't believe I haven't checked out the Family Friday's for about 5 weeks now! It was kind of fun to read a whole bunch at once. ;)
Melissa is the best sister-in-law! The first time we really got to be good friends was when we went to the beach house in 2005. She and I just "clicked," and had so much in common and had so much fun together. Melissa is a great mom and you can tell how much little Aves just loves her! She's patient and kind, and serves her family whole-heartedly.
Melissa is funny without even knowing it! I won't tell the story, but Sunday was a perfect example! ;)
Melissa is a very down to earth person, and knows how to work and get things done. She's also so spiritual and sensitive to the Spirit and has such a good warmth about her. I'm so glad to have her as a sister-in-law, and look forward to us having babies 6 months apart!
We all love Melissa at our house. She is a genuine pleasure to be around and always takes the time for conversation. Melissa's good nature and her smile brighten any room she enters.
Melissa you and Jeff have a beautiful family. Avery is so adorable and we are excited to hear of your coming addition.
We love you guys!
JuLee & Archie
Post a Comment