
Family Friday is back and we are down to the final ten installments. This week I'm featuring the firstborn of the third generation... my son Andy.
Andy was born on March 14, 1978; arriving six days past his due date he weighed in at 9 lbs. 2 oz. and was 20 1/2 inches long. I was four months shy of my twentieth birthday and my normal weight was in the 120's,
for such a young and skinny Mom I was very proud of my big baby. Andy brought us a lot of joy from the start; he was the first child, the first grandchild, and the first nephew on both sides of the family. We had the name David Michael picked out early in my pregnancy (I didn't have an ultra sound but I always knew that I was having a son), two weeks before the baby was born when I told the chosen name to my Irish Granpa he shook his head and said, "give him a name of his own", making reference to the fact that we already had an assortment of David's and Michael's in the family. We chose the name Andy Marsden Leger. He had his own name, and everyone else's too.From the time that Andy was just a toddler we always knew when he was around. One day when he was three he was with his Grandpa Leger and talking rather loudly, when Grandpa asked him if he always talked that loud Andy responded, "no... SOMETIMES I TALK THIS LOUD!!"
He was always protective of his little brother Jeff. When toddler Jeff fell against a metal bed (needed stitches) Andy freaked out crying, "my brother" while the injured stood calmly by. When none of the family could interpret Jeff's "language" we would ask, "Andy what did Jeff say?" and Andy would say, " he said..." then he would tell us what Jeff said; and he was right.During his youth Andy participated in recreational sports such as soccer and baseball. One summer when he was about fourteen or fifteen he played baseball for the first time in several years. While at a game Mike overheard a Mother of another player saying, "we've got some kid on our team that hasn't played before", as if the team was doomed; parents take these sporting events much to seriously. Andy has always been a fast runner and more than once was able to steal home, and Mike was so proud when during a game Andy hit a home run over the fence. We were sitting in the outfield so Mike was able to retrieve the ball and present it to Andy. At the end of the season the coach named Andy as the most improved player, and he did so with much respect.
Andy has been blessed with many talents, and anyone who knows him has been blessed because of Andy's talents as well. Shortly after his eighth birthday he began taking piano lessons. We didn't have a piano so he would ride his bike over to Granma's everyday to practise. Andy has also always loved to sing.
When Andy was just a little boy his Grandpa Leger introduced him to the music of Al Jolsen. Andy started to mimic Al and did a really good job of it, which eventually earned him a place in the school wide talent show when he was in the third grade. He wore his Sunday suit and sang Mammy (Al style) with all of his heart. In jr. high school Andy became interested in acting, which then led to musicals in high school and community theatre. At sixteen he portrayed Jimmy in Saturday's Warrier at Page's Lane Theatre (now RMT). I have seen him in many shows at school and in the community, all of which I was very proud, but the one that left the biggest imprint on my heart was The Secret Garden. As I watched him portray Archibald Craven and sing the beautiful songs in that musical, I couldn't hold back the tears and I still can't. Several months ago Andy participated with his Uncle David and a few other theatre friends in a musical review at the WB City monthly concert series. He sang Lily's Eyes in a duet and it brought back to me all of those emotions of 1996 when he did the show as a senior in high school. He currently performs in the Endless Summer band with his Dad, and also accompanies his Granpa when he performs. Last summer he was one of the major players in the recording of Granpa's CD.
Andy performing as Pharoah in the BHS production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" in October 1994 There are so many Andy stories, but one of my favorites is when I left three-month-old Caitlin with fifteen-year-old Andy while I went over to the Johnson's to help Becky with a primary dutch oven activity. I gave Andy strict instructions that he was to bring the baby to me as soon as she woke up, and he did. He tucked her under his arm in a football hold and rode over on his bike. WHAT!!!
Andy and RosieAfter Andy graduated from BHS he attended SLCC; he then was called to serve a mission to the Canada Montreal French Speaking Mission; when he returned he attended the U of U where he graduated in 2002; he then attended Law School at the U of U from which he graduated in 2005. He was recently named Partner in the Law Firm where he is employed.
Andy's graduation from Law SchoolAndy is a devoted husband and father. He and his wife Kristin met in high school. They wrote letters to each other while Andy served his mission; and on March 10, 2000 they were married in the Salt Lake Temple.
They have three of the handsomest little guys you will ever see. Andy is also a wonderful son. We have had many long talks and discussions through the years, he has always shown concern for my welfare, he has always made me feel like I'm a good Mom.Things to know about Andy: He flew to Tennessee to see Mandy Patinkin perform in concert. He is the ward organist. President Spencer W. Kimball kissed his hand when he was a toddler. He spent three weeks in Ireland and England when he was thirteen. He can speak French. He can play the piano upside down. He has the best laugh. He's left-handed. He has his own signature walk. He ran a half marathon. He recorded his own CD when he was eighteen. He is honest. He learned how to play chess when he was a young boy. He LOVES Disneyland and is very knowledgeable about Disney history; he even got to sing a solo in Disneyland. He has integrity. He loves to read and to learn. He has strong political views. He serves. He's funny. He loves classic cartoons. He magnifies his callings. He makes roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. He's a good friend. He had a letter published in the TV Guide. He stood next to Jeffrey R. Holland in the circle when his friend was being set apart as a missionary. I'm so grateful that Andy is in our family and I know everyone else is too. We all love Andy.
Andy's family in Disneyland last summer: Zachary, Kristin, Andy, William, and Adam
14 comments:
I am proud to say that I am the one who took that picture of the two little boys back in 1982. Jeff is wearing the Sony Walkman II that I apparently wrote to Tim about in Brazil and he kindly shared my letter with everyone at the Christmas Party.
Anyway, I have a huge amount of respect for Andy. He made me an uncle and it's always been fun to be his uncle. Not only does he play the piano and other instruments so well, he does a fantastic Chris Farley impersonation as well as Garth from Wayne's World.
The thing I think I like most about Andy is he simply makes you feel good just being around him. Andy, you and your family are welcome in Rocklin any time. We miss you.
I remember when Andy came to preform at my elementary school as Pharaoh in Joseph. I was so proud to see my cousin (I had no idea he was going to be there) and he did a fantastic job. I told everyone that HE was MY cousin.
I also remember that Andy was the first missionary to leave and it left a big impression on me. I remember it kind of left a whole in the family parties/get together and everyone would always talk about how Andy is. I just couldn't wait until Andy got back so everything could be back to normal--little did I know that he was just the leader into the unknown as we all started to grow up. I was also very proud of him then and would talk about how I had a cousin on a mission.
Andy is a very accomplished and gifted person. But the gift I most appreciate about him is his good heart. I could tell even when he was a little boy and I was his new foreigner Aunt that he loves his family and wants to be good and to please and make those around him happy. That's why my wish for Andy is that he lives a happy and fullfilled life. He deserves that blessing. He is also very intelligent, hence a pleasure to converse with and listen to. I don't have a favorite niece/nephew because everyone's so awesome--- how can one pick a favorite? But if I have to pick one Andy will be one of the top candidates for the spot :-)
Love the story about him babysitting Caitlin! What a sight that would have been to see. I might have had a heart attack!
And he's HOT!!
I remember the day Andy was born. I was 18 years old and it was a couple of months before my high school graduation. We were all excited for his arrival. The word we got when I got to the hospital was that mom and baby were doing fine and that dad(Mike) was on the floor with his head between his legs.
I tended Andy a couple of times when he was an infant, and also tended him and Jeff a couple of times in Bridgland. They both loved to ride in Uncle Archie's yellow sports car, though it was a rare occassion there mother would let them. :-)
Andy made me an uncle for the first time and a great uncle (which I always thought I was) for the first time.
Julee and the girls all love Andy. He singles you out at family gatherings to say hello and catch up on life.
Andy you're a good man, cousin, nephew and friend.
We Love You!
Archie, JuLee & fam
I have always loved Andy. I was lucky enough to babysit him as a little baby and as he grew older. Then all of the sudden he was babysitting MY kids! Although, I'll never foret the day I walked in and he was playing the piano and my child sat in a soiled diaper. I questioned Andy as to why he didn't change it. He said, "I don't DO diapers!" HA HA... I'll be he does now!
I've always enjoyed Andy's talent and I love to listen to him play the piano. It's especially entertaining to watch him sing and play.
He's a great cousin to my boys. They all love him. Just a couple of years ago he called me out of love and concern for one of them and was eager to mentor that certain son. I was touched by his love for his cousin.
What a great man he is!
Love you Andy Man!!!
I love Andy!! I am very proud to say I am Andy's aunt too. His talents and abilities absolutely amaze me. He is so generous to share his talents with others. He is very gifted. When I watch him perform he always has a humble but confident look on his face. I love that about Andy.
I love how happy and personable Andy is. He always calls me by name and takes the time to ask me how I am doing. He has a wide variety of interests which makes Andy a very interesting person too.
I have loved watching Andy grow up. He has been a good example to lead the way for the third generation. I'm sure that responsibility is not always an easy one, but Andy strives to make good decisions. I love you Andy!!
CORY SAYS:
Andy was my first non niece. I have always felt as if I was Andy's uncle. I rember him singing when he was just a little boy, White Christmas, we have it on video. I am also proud of the man that Andy has become, he is a good dad, husband, brother, cousin and friend. He is such a talent and still a human being even though he is now a lawyer.
Uncle Tim said....
Where do I begin talking about Andy. I have so many fond memories and experiences; I love Andy!! One of my favorite memories is when I took a Greyhound Bus to Duschene to pick up Andy and bring him to West Bountiful. I believe it was for Archie's mission farewell. I am sure Mike and Lesley came and I am not even sure why I did that; other than the opportunity to be with Andy and have an adventure. We stopped for a rest in Heber City and we bought some treats together (I gave him the money so that he could pay for it like a big boy).
One funny memory is when I was visiting Lesley one day and she offered me a Twinkie. Andy wanted one too but Lesley wouldn't give it to him (either because he hadn't done something he was supposed to or until he did something he was supposed to). Anyway, when Lesley wasn't looking I whispered "Andy, would you like a bite of my Twinkie?" I hadn't taken a bite yet so it was nice and fresh. He was probably 5 or 6 at the time and he gladly accepted my offer. Taking full advantage of my generosity and anticipating he might not get his own Twinkie, rather than take a small bite he swallowed my Twinkie right up to my fingers as I held it out for him. He must be a great attorney because he sure had an early eye for a loophole.
I love Andy!!! Never forget to be what Ben Martinez described you as once upon a time "a stalwart Elder in Israel." I have always been impressed with the way you intelligently married above your station (let's face it, I'm impressed with myself on this one too). Your musical and other talents have always brought a lot of joy to me. Thanks for sharing yourself with us.
Love,
Uncle Tim
Thanks for the generous comments. It made for a swell weekend. I love you all and I love our family.
What can I say about the boy that made me a granma? When I told a friend that my grandson was getting married she told me I was on the way to becoming a GREAT g'ma. I responded I have ALWAYS been a GREAT GRANMA. He is an honest person. As a boy they came to our house when we were not home and his Mom got what she came for plus took some homemade jam. Andy told her she can't steal from G'ma. So she confessed next time we met, in front of Andy. I assured him his Mom could take anything she wanted from our house.
What grat talent he has and what great musical moments he has provoded for us.
I am acknowledging I made some spelling errors. I do know how to spell "great" and "provided"
Andy is probably one of the funniest people I know! He is especially funny after midnight whenever we hang out with him and Kristin, and usually has Jeremy and me in tears of laughter!
Andy is such a good brother to Jeremy and Jeremy has always said that it was Andy who influenced him most to serve a mission, go to college, etc. He has been a great example to us, and has been so good at staying close with his brothers.
As mentioned, Andy is so talented--I love to hear him sing and play the piano, and think he has a real gift of music.
I'm so grateful to have Andy as my brother-in-law and like uncle Alan said, "he simply makes you feel good just being around him."
Post a Comment