Friday, January 29, 2010

Family Friday: Featuring My Son Jeremy

This week on "Family Friday" I'm featuring the youngest of my three sons, affectionately known to me as "Baby Boy" and to everyone else, as Jeremy. Jeremy is my third son and was born on August 25, 1983. As a baby and a toddler Jeremy brought a lot of joy to me. When the older boys were in school he and I spent a lot of quality time together. One of my favorite things to do was to go on a daily bike ride with Jeremy sitting in a child carrier behind me. When Mike was a manager at Dicks Market, Jeremy and I would often go to the snack bar located in the store and have lunch with Mike. Shortly before Jeremy's third birthday Mike left Dicks and became owner/operator of his own grocery store; Leger's Market, and so Jeremy and I went to work. Every day we tied an apron on Jeremy and he ran the store. One of my favorite stories to tell (wasn't favorite at the time) was the day Jeremy happened to be sitting on the check stand while I was ringing up a customer's groceries. This nice lady had a rather sharp nose and Jeremy said, pointing directly at her, "mom... is that lady a witch?" Oh my.

One of my sweetest and most tender memories of Jeremy occured when he was just eighteen months old. Mike and I went to Hawaii for a week and the boys stayed at my parents home. On the night that we returned, we didn't arrive at our home until the wee hours of the morning, my parents had brought the boys home and put them to sleep in their own beds. During the night, a half asleep Jeremy ended up in bed with us; right in the middle. When he woke up the next morning he turned his head and looked at me, then he turned and looked at Mike, he then turned so that he was looking straight up at the ceiling and his face broke out in a beautiful, dimpled smile as if to say, "they came back."

Jeremy was the baby of our family for nearly four years, that is when his sister Ashleigh was born. Jeremy and Ashleigh had a special bond right from the start, they loved each other. Jeremy was always a loving and caring big brother which I always thought was so tender, because he was just a little boy himself. In the spring of 1991 I took Jeremy and his siblings to have their picture taken together, after the pictures were taken and Andy and Jeff had stepped away from the view of the camera, I glanced over and saw Jeremy and Ashleigh just as you see them in this photo. The photo shoot was over, but I very exuberantly said to the photographer, "take that picture!" And she did.

Jeremy served a mission in the Canada Toronto West Mission from 2002-2004. I have been the recipient of phone calls and letters from people that live in Jeremy's mission, we've had people from Canada visit our home, I even currently have a phone/pen pal of sorts from Canada. One lady that called often used to tell me about the "boys" that visited her home. There were many that she was not impressed with but she loved Jeremy. She told me the same story every time she called: she had a wreath on her front door and whenever Jeremy knocked on her door and she opened it, there Jeremy stood with her wreath around his neck.

Jeremy and his wife Emily met in high school. Emily graduated the year before Jeremy and so the timing was perfect when they both went on missions and returned less than two months apart. They were married in the Salt Lake Temple on 05-05-05. They have the handsomest little boy Mason, and are expecting their second son in a couple of months. Jeremy is a wonderful husband and Father and I am very proud of him.


A year after Jeremy and Emily were married they went to Africa as part of BYU studies abroad. Jeremy loved Africa. It was an amazing experience that they will never forget. While there Jeremy had the opportunity to sing three songs on a Mozambique radio station. When they left Africa they were able to visit Emily's brother's family in Sweden and then they went to England to visit Jeremy's Uncles and Aunts.


A few years ago Jeremy went to Real Estate school where he earned his license. He works hard and has been very successful in his own brokerage; Elite Realty. He and his business partner Dave recently purchased an office building which they remodeled, it is a beautiful office. Jeremy and Dave have 50 employees working for them. Mike and I have debated for years whether or not we should sell our house or add on, we wanted to do the best thing for our family but it was a hard decision. Last January after all of our children and grandchildren left the house following a family dinner we looked at each other and said, "it's time to sell the house." We called Jeremy the following day and told him our plan. It was about six weeks later when Jeremy took me to see our new home for the first time. I immediately fell in love. Jeremy worked very hard to make it happen for us.


Jeremy has always had a very charismatic personality. He has always loved people and shown others kindness and concern; whether it was the handicapped boy in his elementary school, the people that he met and served on his mission, or the people of Africa, he has a very tender heart and it shows, consequently, people love him. My life has been blessed because I am his mother. I feel gratitude that the Lord sent him to me.

Things to know about Jeremy: He has lots of nicknames; Jer-Bear, Bermans, Jerms, "J"... just to name a few. In his teens he became interested in Motocross and owned his own motorcycle, I was glad when that phase passed. For his birthdays I always made him a yellow cake with chocolate frosting covering two-thirds, he ate the third that wasn't frosted. Jeremy doesn't like ice. He has a great smile and a dimple to compliment it. He has a beautiful singing voice. He sang in show choir in high school. He worked as a lifeguard at Lagoona Beach one summer. He gave me my famous nickname, Loggdogg, as un-flattering as it sounds it's supposed to be a compliment (I think). He's a good brother. He loves the Lord. He magnifies what he is asked to do. He gives service. When he was younger he enjoyed learning about Mountain Men and Indians. He loves golf. He plays tennis and has participated in tournaments. Last year he participated in a triathon. He works very hard. He is funny! He has a great sense of humor. He calls his mom. He's a peacemaker. He's Christlike. He's a BYU fan in a family that seems to favor the U of U, and I can honestly say that I've never seen him get his "feathers ruffled" when he's teased about his choice of teams. Jeremy is wonderful and we are all blessed to know him and have him as a family member, we love you Jeremy.

Jeremy's family: Jeremy, Emily, and Mason

13 comments:

Tiffany said...

You've raised some pretty amazing kids!

Lilian said...

Jeremy is really cool! He is a very personable guy and I remember a trip to Disneyland where he got a pass to to to the front of the line on Indiana Jones just for being nice to one of the castmembers there. He and Emily have stayed with my kids while we've been out of town and the boys loved it and still talk about the fun they had. I love to see Jeremy and he always give me a hug when he sees me. I love Jeremy!!

Stephanie said...

Jeremy was a good friend growing up. He used to come hang out in our backyard and help us build forts, ride bikes, and calm our mom down when she was upset with us. :)He was just like another brother. I love ya Jeremy!

Anonymous said...

My favorite cousin Jeremy is amazing. I always thought he was cool growing up and he has the cutest little boy. And he also loves the pazells that I make and we gave him a whole stack this year. I'm glad he enjoys them.

Margie said...

Jeremy is awesome. Whenever I think of Jeremy I get a smile on my face. He is so personable and is so fun to be around. Jeremy has great people skills. He is a charmer and makes other feel happy.

I have never heard the story of Jeremy with a wreath around his neck, but I can picture him doing that.

I have been impressed with what a hard worker Jeremy is. Last fall Tim and I decided for the first time to appeal our property taxes. We needed to do some research to make our case. Jeremy was so gracious and generous to help us and we were able to reduce our property taxes.

I love how kind Jeremy is. He is not contentiuos and difficult but rather kind and a peacemaker.

I love Jeremy...I think he is adorable!!

Marivic said...

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Jeremy. I was able to spend a lot of time with him when he was little. I never had to babysit or take care of kids before Jeremy and he was the most adorable boy and made it easy. He is a very loving cousin to Tara and AJ and always a respectful and affectionate nephew. He's always had an endearing personality, and I think it's a gift that will take him very far in life. It's hard to articulate but the last few times I've seen Jeremy I thought there is just something about his presence that's peaceful and comforting, and makes people want to be around him. He is blessed with a beautiful family. I love Jeremy, and Em-bem, and Mason and I already love the soon to be new arrival :-)

Bea said...

I remember the day after his 3rd birthday and he and I and his Mommy (and Elson Peter) went to Denver. The plane is taxiing down the runway and he exclaims to all interested, "It isn't working Mom"
Way to make G'ma feel confident. We weren't in the hotel room 5 minutes till he had locked himself in the bathroom and we had to call for help. :o)
I also remember the night we came home from our mission and the whole family was there and one strange(unfamiliar)kid. I thought "Why did they bring a neighbor kid to meet us?" Then I realized, IT WAS JEREMY!! he had dyed the top of his hair blonde, and of course looked 18months older. The only one I didn't recognise right off. He is everything you say and then some. Love you Jerms!!

Alan said...

Jeremy is a good guy. Of all my nieces and nephews, Jeremy's birth is the only one announced to me by telegram. I was on my mission in the Philippines and my sister wanted to make sure I knew Jeremy had arrived. Then when I stepped off the plane in SLC eight months later my sister was quick to pass her baby boy over to me because she was so proud of him and wanted me to meet him. We've always loved Jeremy in our family. Tara and AJ love him and we all enjoyed having him visit us in Salinas when he was a teenager. I'm proud of you Jeremy.

em said...

And, he's hot.

hahahaha, just had to copy what Andy wrote on Kristin's post. ;)

Margie said...

Uncle T said....

When Jeremy was little he couldn't say Tim so he called me "T". I remember one night I was working at Dick's Market and Lesley and Jeremy came into the store. Jeremy would have been about three years old. He came running the full length of the front end of the store with his arms out and shouting "T!" He has always endeared himself to people.

I am very proud of Jeremy's ingenuity and entrepreneurial spirit. He has great taste in women and you can tell he is an awesome dad.

I love you "J", you are the man.

Uncle T

Archie said...

Jeremy is awesome. He is a wonderful nephew and a fantastic cousin. As we were all at Grandma and Grandpa's on Christmas morning Jeremy asked if we still made those cookies with the cool design that tasted really great. He was talking about pizzelles. Alyssa had made a huge batch the week before so we vowed to get some to Jeremy. It was a no brainer for us because Jeremy is awesome.

One thing that Jeremy really maginfies is family. Like Lilian mentioned I can't think of a time I've run into Jeremy without getting a hug. Including a couple of years ago when I ran into him outside Dell Taco in West Valley, and just before Christmas when I ran into him again outside Costco.

Jeremy is one of my favorite golf buddies. I can remember countless times when he's called me, often at a moment's notice and we've hit the golf course. He is in the Memorial Day foursome with Mike and Jeff and I and we've also golfed a few tournaments together. You could say that from a golf perspective I waited for Jeremy while he was on his mission. Thankfully I still had my other favorite golf buddy Jeff.

Julee and I were thrilled when Jeremy and Emily were married. They are such a beautiful family with Mason and we're excited to meet the new baby.

We love you Jeremy.

JuLee & Archie

Melissa said...

Jeremy has always been a fun cousin to have close to my age. I remember him telling me about his plaid boxers (they made him feel as manly as Charles Ingalls so he could "cry openly like a real man") hahaha When we were driving to California one year (I don't remember how old we were but we were not yet teens) he promised to share his candy with me but each one he pulled out had an important significance "this one is my favorite color so I can't give it to you...this one has a great taste that will go well with the last one I just ate." He did share a few with me after he ran out of excuses :)

This last year when we were worried about our house situation Jeremy called me up right away to give me some pointers and help me out in any way possible. He gave me some information about the housing market and told me that he'd back me up in any way he could and I felt then that everything would be alright and that I didn't have to worry anymore.

Jeremy is a great person to have in any situation and I'm glad that he is my cousin. I still look up to him and think he is an awesome guy.

em said...

Oh boy, I don't even know where to begin when I think of my sweetheart! Jeremy is everything you wrote, and MORE! I am blessed beyond measure to have him as my eternal companion, and to be married to my best friend. Jeremy makes me laugh like nobody else! We have so much fun together and get the giggles so bad sometimes that we cannot control it, and usually ending up laughing in the wrong places! :( Just recently we got the giggles during Sacrament meeting, and were laughing so hard we were shaking and had to put our heads down and hide.
Jeremy is SO smart--he's killer at Trivial Pursuit, and is so well-rounded! I'm so proud of him and all he's accomplished! He is the best daddy to Mason, and has been a hands-on dad from day one when he would get up in the night to bring Mason to me so that I could nurse him. Jeremy never tires--he has more energy than anyone I know, and is ALWAYS willing with a cheerful heart to help me, Mason or others when they need it. I don't think there's a mean bone in his body, and believe he is the happiest, most content, most stable person I know. We've known each other for 11 years now, but it feels like we have always been together. I love his smile, his dimple, his long eye lashes, and feel so much love from him for our little family. I am one lucky girl to have gotten to marry Jeremy Leger, and I knew I wanted to marry him from the first time I met him! He had such a strong spirit about him, such a goodness in his heart that he still has and will always have. Honest in all he does, testimony that will never waiver, gentle heart and kindness.
Great post, Lesley.
Love you, Jer!