Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Nevada/California Road Trip

Last weekend Michael and I traveled to Reno to attend a memorial service for my cousins son. We decided to extend our trip and visit Alan and Marivic who live just across the Sierra Nevadas in Rocklin, CA. We left home Friday morning and returned Monday night, so it was very quick, but we were able to see many of our extended family at the memorial service and also spend some quality time with Alan and Marivic.

On Saturday morning we took a drive from Reno to Virginia City. This is a last peek at the city as we climb to the top.

When you watch Bonanza, and the Cartwright's talk about Virginia City as if it is just a couple of miles down the road... it ain't so. I've been to the Ponderosa (previously) and you have to travel down one mountain, cross the valley, and then climb another mountain before you get to Virginia City. It's worth the trip... in a car!!

Later in the day when we were with Alan and Marivic, we got off the main road and drove along Donner Lake and then drove to the Donner Summit. It is a beautiful area surrounded by amazing views.

We spent two nights at the Embassy Suites in Sacramento, which is across the street from Old Sacramento .

We had a corner suite on the 7th floor. This is the view from our living room window, it's the Tower Bridge and the Sacramento River.

From the bedroom window you can see Old Sacramento.

Tara and AJ joined us for breakfast, and then Mike and I and Alan and Marivic headed for the Monterey Peninsula.

I love the natural, undeveloped land along the coast of Monterey.

I love t'ocean (and I love Mikee too of course)!!!

The Lone Cypress tree on 17 mile Drive. It is the symbol of Pebble Beach.

A walk-about at Pebble Beach.

Mike's reaction to seeing and being at this famous place.

Standing in front of the 18th hole.

It is a beautiful piece of earth.

I'm just happy standing at the beach.

The circumstances that brought us on this weekend trip were very sad. But seeing and being with family, and enjoying the beauties of the earth, are a very real reminder of our loving and merciful Father in Heaven's plan.

7 comments:

Archie said...

Great post Les!!! Loved the photos. I'm a huge fan of Pebble Beach and completely understand Mike's reaction. Glad you guys had a good trip and made it home safely.

Love you! Mean it!

Alan said...

We really had a fantastic time with you and Mike. We got a beautiful day and your pictures turned out really great!

Bea said...

All of these pictures are familiar to me. Beautiful country, and this is just one corner of this beautiful earth.
I think we need to make another trip to the Monterey coast. :o)

Lilian said...

I'd like to go there sometime. It really looks beautiful.

Marivic said...

There's still so much to see in this part of the country but it will take days, so I hope you guys stay longer next time. I promise it will be so much more enjoyable if you have time to just sit and savor and not have to spend too much time in the car. We thoroughly enjoyed spending time with you guys. We wish we can do it more often.

Margie said...

How fun!! You got me so excited for our trip! I'm so glad you were able to have such a great trip!

********************************* said...

I love Montery, it is one of my favorite places to visit!