Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Happy Birthday Jeffy!!

29 years ago today Jeffrey was born. He arrived at 7:21 am on Monday November 5; what a great way to start the week!! From the very beginning Jeffrey was a joy to us, he was always a good baby; this is part of what I wrote in his baby book on October 16, 1980, "Jeff is such a special spirit. I have never seen a baby so content all of the time....he just loves to be loved." He was a beautiful baby as well, I entered him in the Duchesne County baby contest where he was chosen as a semi-finalist.From the time that Jeff was just a little boy I recognized some of his unique skills and talents. He has always been very neat and organized. His room was always emaculate as well as his appearance. Our hairdresser once wanted to use him as a hair model for a workshop she was teaching, she said to me, "...Jeff has the best hair." I knew early on that Jeff would be successful at whatever he decided to do in his life.We held a garage sale when Jeff was just a young boy. Mike supplied the boys with a box of Dr. Pepper gum which they could sell to the neighbor kids. Jeff made a sign advertising the gum at 10 cents each or 2 for 25 cents. The neighbor kids were all buying it at 2/25. I was telling that story to a group of women several years ago and they all started to laugh, I said to them, "don't laugh, it was your kids that bought the gum." That has always been one of my favorite Jeff stories. When the boys were young I had their pictures hanging at the end of the upstairs hall. One day Jeff asked me why Andy's picture was always at the top? Good question. I immediately moved Jeffs picture to the top. As a young teenager Jeff campaigned for his own room. He got his sidekick (Jeremy) to help him with a presentation to which we were all invited. The two boys, dressed in shirts and ties presented a poster illustrating why it would be advantageous for Jeff to have his own room; he reviewed it with us using a pointer as he discussed each reason. Can anyone guess what happened? We moved everything around so that Jeff got his own room. Is it any surprise that Jeff is a successful owner of two Delis!?! Jeff is one of the most loyal people that I know. He loves his family and friends. I know that anyone who is associated with Jeff can count on him 100%. He's very family oriented and when he's in charge of an activity (like superbowl party; prizes) it's always the best! He is the best Uncle, he is always so happy to see his nephews and they are especially happy to see him.He will soon have his own baby and I know he's going to be such a great Father. I'm go grateful that I'm Jeff's Mom. He is such a great example to me and to all who know and love him (please share a Jeff story in the comment section). He is such a blessing in my life and I want him to know how happy and proud he makes me. Les ("you can call me Mom") loves you Little Boy XOXOX

9 comments:

Bea said...

One classic story that has been told over and over was when we played "Hide and Seek" and he(3 years old)and Andy were hiding in a cardboard carton, pregnant Mommy was disguised and Granma was on top of the washer giggling. Out of the darkness came,
"shut up Granma". Choice memories about a choice young man. Happy birthday today and always. great post Mommy.

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Great post, Les!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEFF!

One memory I have of Jeff has something to do with a park up on a hill and something rolling down the hill which should not be on a hill but in a toilet ---LOL! :-) Uncle Alan says I wasn't there but I just think I was because I've heard the story so many times and think it's so darn gross but funny. There or not, that's the memory of Jeff that sticks out to me the most!

Margie said...

Happy Birthday Jeff!! I can remember where I was when Tim told me you were born. I was at the U of U at a pay phone in the Union building. You have always been so special to me. I love how dedicated you are to family.

I have many memories of you as a little boy. I got to practice on being a parent on our nephews just like you have been able to do. I remember you coming over to our apartment and we would let you guys slide down our stairs. You were always so coordinated it amazed me to watch you. I also have many fun memories at the beach house with you too.

You will make a wonderful dad. I am so excited for you and Melissa. I hope you have a wonderful day!! I love you.

Nice post Les...it is fun to share memories.

Lilian said...

Oh let me see..... stories about Jeff.... HA!

How about the one I've always told: When I came to babysit one night and Andy & Jeff were in the tub together (they were like 3 & 5 yrs. old) You left me responsible to get them out of the tub and ready for bed. I went into the bathroom to get them. When Jeff saw me walk in he said, "HEY! Get out of he-ah, we ah necked, you arnt upposed to be in he-ah!"

Or another time when he was about the same age and I was pushing him in a cart at Dick's Market. He told a lady: "Git out of our way!" And then said, "Lady, you are FAT!"

I also remember a time when he answered the phone at Leger's in Sandy, he said:

"Leger's in Sandy!......(pause).... Well, it's pronounced LEGEERS but you can say it how you want!"

But one very tender memory is the day of Ashleigh's funeral. Everyone was leaving the cemetary and getting into cars. You and Mike and the other boys were either in the limousine or almost into it. But Jeff just stood a few feet away from the grave site. Just a sad little 11 yr old boy missing his baby sister. A very tender moment. I hope it's okay to share that. It's something Cory has never forgotten.

Lesley said...

Hey Margie, how about the one when Jeff was just two weeks old and you walked into Mom's and tossed your coat on the couch and asked, "where's the baby?' and I answered, "under your coat." LOL

Alan said...

Well if we're going to share embarrassing stories about Jeff, how about the time I took him to see the Jazz play at the Salt Palace when he was about nine-years-old, but already a knowledgeable sports fan. Mark Eaton went to the foul line to shoot two free throws and Jeff said outloud, with disgust.. "watch him miss both of 'em!." Sitting immediately in front of Jeff was Mrs. Mark Eaton. Turns out, the kid was right though. Sorry Mrs. Eaton.

em said...

Jeremy Here: Just wanted to mention how proud & honored Jeff should feel to be a SEMI-finalist in the Duchesne County baby contest. I would love to see the winner.

Stecky said...

I remember camping with Jeff....something fuzzy on a bet with Stephanie. I remember the loser had to feed the winner their breakfast...Jeff lost. I also remember his tent when we went to Whitney Lake. Hayden kept knocking on the tent all morning trying to get Jeff excited about seeing the sheep that were passing by ...Jeff never saw them

BobN said...

I can just picture the "give me my own room" negotiations (or from Jeremy's point of view, maybe the "get Jeff out of my room" negotiations). That is great.