Friday, November 21, 2008

My Favorite Corner

This is my favorite corner in my home. The reason it's my favorite is because this hutch is the piece of furniture that I love the most. It's country. It's distressed. It's antiqued. It's me. One of my projects for my "week off" was to take everything off of the hutch and either dust it or wash it and then put it back. I'm a very sentimental person when it comes to some of my "treasures" so I'm going to share just a few of them on this post.I bought this bear several years ago at a holiday boutique. I'm one who sometimes has a hard time parting with my dollars so I debated back and forth for several minutes about this purchase, but I think it's obvious why I couldn't pass up this cute bear. I love dishes and bowls and I keep my favorites here. This bowl in a family heirloom given to me by my mother-in-law a few years ago, it originally belonged to my father-in-laws family. I believe it is more than 100 years old. For many years I've eaten meals in her home served from this bowl. It is a treasure that I choose to display and keep safe for my daughter.In a home as small as mine I have to use my space wisely, so I hide holiday bowls inside the ones that you see in the hutch. These are a few of my holiday bowls. I love the spider chip and dip set. The other bowls are made by Tag one of my favorite companies.On the bottom shelf is my Dr. Pepper crate. A few years back soda pop crates were all the rage. My mother-in-law found this one in her mother's shed. It came from the days when Michael's Grandpa had a motorcycle shop in Ogden. It was in mint condition and Dr. Pepper was my favorite drink for many years until I gave it up (16 years; 10 months; and 17 days ago). The crate has 24 sections and each one has a dishcloth in it.This picture was a Christmas card that we received from David and Christine the first year that they were married (1993). I loved it so much that I framed it and I display it year round (even though there is a Christmas tree in the picture).Last but not least is a little touch of whimsy; my "hokey pokey" block that my sister gave me for my birthday a couple of years ago. Every year that we go to the beach house our family does the hokey pokey around the camp fire. It's amazing that no one has ever fallen in.Well that was a little bit of nostalgia and sentiment from me. So here are a couple of questions for you. What do you love about your favorite corner in your home? And, does anyone know what the hokey pokey is all about?

9 comments:

Tiffany said...

Is that last picture "the question?" If it is, I have no idea how I would answer! Love the hutch-very good decorating!

Lilian said...

I like your corner Les! You are definitely one that doesn't part with money very well. But you make good choices when you do.

I'll have to think about some of my surroundings and see if I have a favorite spot!

Lesley said...

Leenz, I love the corner at the bottom of your basement stairs. You did such a great job there and it is personalized.

Bea said...

I didn't like the idea that your hutch is distressed and antiqued just like you? :o) But I like your treasures and the reasons behind them. You are a softie when it comes to your family. :o)
The corner of my home that I like is the corner in the family room that now houses the compootah. When the house was under construction I looked forward to having a chair and a bookcase there (which I did for several years) it has walls on three sides and I enjoy the feeling of security and protection. Quite often when I go to new houses that are "big" I am looking for a corner where I would feel secure. I don't find many as the trend is for big open spaces, which I like also - as long as I have "my corner"

Little GrumpyAngel said...

I love your little corner, Les! I'm not into country but I like pretty stuff no matter what the style, and your corner is very pretty. Mom's comment about you, distressed and antiqued is kinda funny, too ☺

My favorite spot in my house? I'm not sure. I like most of the corners in my house right now in terms of what I have in those corners, but my favorite I guess are the corners in my house where I can just curl up with a book or my laptop and ignore everyone. ☺

As for the hokey-pokey--- I know this because I'm nerdy that way--- it's the term for an Italian ice cream vendor, but the song according to the theory of some expert academicians is about doing the "kuan" ☺ 'Nuff said.

Great post!

Lilian said...

Thanks Marivic... I will never think of the "Hokey Pokey" the same way again!

heather said...

I love this..reminds me of the crafty antique places I love to visit! You are a great decorator and guess what book I am almost finished reading? Iv'e been curious about your opinion now...

Stecky said...

I have to stand in the back....I don't know the songs. Oh, Centerville is screaming to us.

Margie said...

Les, I am so far behind in checking the blogs. I really liked this post, and I really love your corner. It is so beautiful!! You have wonderful taste, and I love how you are so thoughtful about your treasures.

My favorite corner (at least during this season) is by the fireplace. It seems to be a family gathering place to talk, read, laugh, eat or play games!