Thursday, February 25, 2010

Decorating 101

I have been an avid change collector for years! For example: I make a cash purchase for $1.19 and I give them $2.00. Then I go home and put .81 in my LESLEY jar (it's a real jar with my name on it, spelled correctly, that my Dad bought for me in England in 1985, and yes this time I really mean 1985).

I have been doing this for years and you would be surprised at how much change you can collect in just a few months. I have needed to do rugs, shower curtain, and towels in Caitlin's bathroom so this is how I spent my change this go round.




What do you think? Do you think Caitlin will be surprised and excited when she comes home from school? I still have to do some wall decor (you know me and nails).

I loved the polka dotted shower curtain but didn't want all of the polka dotted towels and rugs. So I went with pink and brown. But to help tie in the shower curtain, I splurged on this cute soap dispenser and added the teal hand towel (there are teal dots on the curtain) for a little more color.


We need a few more accessories on the walls and counter top, and I may have to splurge on the polka dotted garbage can; we'll see. You'll never guess what I'm going to buy with my next jar of change; I can't tell because you'll think I'm a dork!

11 comments:

Stecky said...

wow! Can I come live in Caitlin's room when she moves out. I love the bathroom! Now I am curious about what you will buy next.

Bea said...

I love the "new" bathroom. Very clever. Did the shower rings come with it? they look like the same colors. A polka dot garbage can might look cute. It would add "life" to the lower half of the room.
I also save my change like you and it does not take long to add up. Last year I used my change to buy peaches for canning. Now we enjoy peaches all winter. :o)

Lesley said...

The shower rings came seperate and they are "dots" like the shower curtain.
If you see "chewing" marks on my shower curtain you will know we are starving and that I "chose poorly".

adrienne said...

Very cute! It looks perfect for a teenage girl.

Marivic said...

Definitely get the polka dot garbage can, Les! And I'm glad you did not get the polka dot towels and rugs. That would have been overkill. It looks great the way it is. I'm reading mom's comment and I'm thinking the coin jar must be a Marsden tradition because Alan has a coin jar too, but I don't know what he buys with his coins --- Madamae Alexander dolls for me maybe? :-)

Lesley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany said...

That is darling! I LOVE it. Caitlin will love it too, I'm sure. As for the change jar-I am so uptight about tracking every penny I spend, that I rarely use cash. I might have to rethink that one!

Lesley said...

Mike kindly reminded me that he contributed his change jar too.

Do you realize how much towels, rugs, shower curtains, rods, and accessroies cost?

I needed Mike's change :-)

And Marivic and Mother convinced me that I need the polka dot garbage can.

Margie said...

I want you to come decorate my house Les. You are doing a great job and I love everything you have picked out. I am thinking about some new changes in our house for this year, so I will be calling you.

Melissa said...

So much fun! What did she think!? It just looks very Caitlin Leger to me! How lucky for her! LOVE IT!

Lilian said...

I think it looks fantastic!

Although, I will admit that giggled when you said that you "splurged" on the soap dispenser. I know you, and I know you well enough to know that for you to acutally "splurge" on something, it must have really been a great deal!

So..... what is the next purchase?