... just remember in the winter, far beneath the bitter snows, lies the seed that with the suns love, in the spring becomes... the Rose.As I have been writing and editing this weeks "Family Friday" feature, my heart has been feeling a little extra tender, because I'm writing about my daughter Caitlin Rose. Next month Caitlin will celebrate her seventeenth birthday and during the past seventeen years I have often referred to Caitlin as a gift to our family.
She was truly a gift of love and healing from a loving Heavenly Father, of that I have no doubt. She has been and continues to be one of my heroes and I am ever grateful that I am blessed to be her mother.Several years ago my friend Becky made a comment that reading "The Book of Mormon" aloud with her children helped them to become better readers. I decided to put this idea to the test. When Caitlin started kindergarten we set a goal that we would read from "The Book of Mormon" reader (for children) together every day and then pray together before she left for school. The first word I taught her to sight read was "of" and as I read the book aloud, every time that word appeared I would point to it and she would say it. We then learned "it" and "and" and other simple words, and then we learned bigger words like "Heavenly Father" and "Jesus". On the day that Caitlin was actually able to read an entire sentence herself we cheered for joy. Caitlin was reading.

My favorite books of all time are the "Little House" books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I wanted to share these books with my daughter, so Caitlin and I began reading them together when she was in the first grade. We read them each night, taking turns reading aloud. We finished the entire series in just over two years. As we completed each book we both signed our name and wrote the date at the back of the book. I hope that one day Caitlin will read these books with her daughter and add their signatures to ours.
Caitlin has always been a goal setter. When she was in the second grade she decided that she was not going to eat candy or drink soda pop for an entire year; her reward if she accomplished this would be $100.00. As the year progressed and I could see that she was accomplishing this goal, I was busy saving the hundred dollars. I decided that a hundred dollar bill wouldn't mean as much to an eight year old as one hundred single dollar bills would, so each quarter of the year I saved twenty-five ones. On the day that her goal was achieved the brothers and Kristin were there for a celebration party. We enjoyed rootbeer floats together and watched as Caitlin took her first bite of chocolate, which was a Cadbury Flake (her fav), she was very hesitant to take that first bite but she ended up enjoying it very much. She was able to spend her money any way that she wanted; she chose to buy a new set of scriptures.

Caitlin began ballet classes at the age of 3 1/2. She is a beautiful and talented dancer. When she reached the right age and height requirements she auditioned for Ballet Wests "Nutcracker". We were thrilled when she was chosen as one of the child dancers. When I picked her up from her first rehearsal at the Capitol Theatre she was a little distraught as she informed me that she had been assigned to be in a cast that would perform on a Sunday (they usually have 4-6 casts of children throughout the season). She told me that she would not do it. Caitlin was adamant about it and now I was a little distraught as well, I was going to have to call the person in charge and explain why my daughter could not dance in "Nutcracker". I'll be honest, it would have been very easy to just say, "Caitlin, dance on Sunday."
I'll even admit that I did give her permission to, but in the end I called the lady at Ballet West who was in charge of all the children in the production and explained to her why my daughter would not be performing; I was heartbroken for Caitlin. The lady informed me that she could fix this, she could put Caitlin in another cast that wasn't performing on a Sunday, she then said to me, "you have to admire someone so young who stands up for what she believes." Caitlin was an example to me as I was reminded that the easy way is not always the best way, sometimes it's hard to do the right thing but it's always worth it.We have been very fortunate as a family to enjoy many nice vacations through the years. Although we enjoy going to the beach we also love going to Yellowstone which is Mike's favorite place, Caitlin is a really good supporter of her dad's love of nature. She loves the animals and is particularly fond of the Buffalo. While in Yellowstone she will get up early in the morning and go for a ride through the park with her dad to look for animals, and she will go out after dark to do the same. Just last week while on a date she spied a Utah license plate with an Elk on it. Her date saw it too and commented about the deer on the license plate, Caitlin responded, "that's not a deer, it's an elk."

Caitlin has three brothers and one sister. Although Caitlin was born eighteen months (to the day) after Ashleigh passed away, she has always known that she has a sister. There was never a defining moment or an announcement, she just grew up knowing. Caitlin loves her brothers and they love her. Although they are all significantly older than she is they have always been genuinely interested in, and concerned for her. I don't think that any of them realize that they are the most important people in the world to her.
She admires them, she wants to please them, she simply... loves them unconditionally. She has watched as each of her brothers left to serve missions, as each one got married and left our home, and as each of her brothers have become fathers. I'll never forget the day that I found four-year-old Caitlin kneeling over the heat register on the living room floor, and calling down to Andy who we had just taken to the MTC. When I reminded her that Andy was on a mission she said, "I know, I'm just pretending that he's down in his room reading his scriptures." I'll always remember the time fifteen-year-old Jeff tended her all day, when I returned home he was sitting on the front porch watching over her as she played in her wading pool. Jeff had fixed cute little pigtails in her hair and made sure that she was wearing sunscreen. Jeremy has looked out for Caitlin since she was little, he often calls or texts her just to visit and find out what is up. I have been asked occasionally if I feel like I've raised two families, the answer to that question is a resounding "NO". We have always been one family no matter the span in our children's ages. Once in a while Caitlin struggles with being the only one in the family who is caught in between the married kids and the grandkids, but Caitlin has the distinctive and honored title of "Princess Royal", there is no question that she belongs; and we all love her very much.
Caitlin and her brothers: Andy, Jeremy, and Jeffrey
One day these sisters will meet, and I am sure that I will be there to witness that joyous momentThings to know about Caitlin: She is FUNNY!!! She keeps her mom and dad laughing all of the time. She is a good student. She is a good friend. She became an aunt at the age of nine. Caitlin's dream in life is to be on "The Disney Channel". She was a big fan of Hilary Duff who is her "Disney Channel" Idol. She is also a fan of Taylor Swift; Caitlin has seen both Hilary Duff and Taylor Swift in concert (she went to the TS concert with a boy named Taylor Smith). She has had a broken arm. She wore braces. She has a beautiful smile. She always looks good. She has the perfect hair. She has a job and is responsible for some of her own expenditures. She loves musical theatre and has performed in community theatre as well as her high school theatre. She can sing. She is almost perfectly obedient. She seldom complains. She shows gratitude. She's honest. She's a good sport. She has faith. She's in her Laurel class presidency. She's been on trek (twice; once as a child actor). She can play the piano. She's thoughtful. She is very tenderhearted. She is Christian Bales biggest fan. Her favorite movie is "Newsies". She doesn't eat fruit (everyone knows that already). Next month she will be 17 on the 17th. She loves her family. She LOVES being an aunt. She has two pink guitars and loves playing them; especially with her dad. She prays about everything, and her prayers are answered. She's considerate. We are all so grateful and blessed to have Caitlin Rose in our family, and we all love her very much.
16 comments:
Everyone does NOT know Caitlin doesn't eat fruit. I didn't know that. Caitlin is a beautiful young woman who was less than a year old when we moved away from Utah. I don't feel like we've missed out too much; a little I guess. We've never seen her perform. But we have had the pleasure of her delightful company all through the years, at our home and hers. She is the only cousin who has visited us in every city we've lived in: Reno, Yuma, Salinas and Rocklin. My favorite memory of Caitlin visiting us is from July of 2001, just before we moved away from Salinas. Grandma and Grandpa were also there, as was Lesley, and we played hide-and-go-seek. Caitlin was the last to be found and even then we couldn't find her forever. It was actually a little bizarre. She was nowhere to be found! Grandma assured us all she was safe. It took forever to find her. She was hiding in a drawer in the master bathroom. A drawer! Good one Caitlin. We love you. Happy fam friday.
Thanks for sharing this whole year about each member of your family. I have really enjoyed it. I know this takes alot of your time to think about, gather and write each piece. This is a wonderful journal entry momento....and your family knows how much you love and honor them. You are amazing! Thanks Les---it was good to learn more about Caitlin as well.....what an amazing girl. Like Mother, Like Daughter.....
That made me cry! We love Caitlin too. She is an amazing, talented, beautiful, GOOD girl.
I love that you recognize her birthday is 17 on the 17th this year. We were just talking about that very 'phenomenon' this morning, as Megan will be 12 on the 12th (Oct) this year!! Luke's 2 on the 2nd was a big celebration and of course my 22 on the 22nd was an even bigger one!
You are a very blessed mother. You have raised some incredible children. I admire you very much.
What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl. I am so impressed with Caitlin. She is so talented and well rounded and sweet. I was struck by the picture of the two of you when Caitlin was younger. I can't believe how much the two of you looked alike!! Caitlin has always reminded me of Melissa with her passion for life.
I can tell Caitlin is going places. She has all of the important qualities in place that will take her far.
She is a lucky girl to have her three brothers and four older sisters to watch over her. Not to mention two awesome parents that love her very much...as well as the rest of the family. I too love Caitlin and I am grateful she is a beautiful rose in our family.
I remember that game of "Hide and Seek" Alan. Everyone got so concerned as to where Caitlin was hiding even I got worried so everytime I was asked if she was safe and said she was, when everyone left the room I would go and whisper to her, "are you ok?" she was.
She is everything you say and then some. I love that she knows how to eat a flake, and that she watches Mr Darcy with me. and keeps me updated on what a "girl wants".
Love you Caitlin, if you are half as good as your Mother, you will be ok.
I got to know Caitlin when we were working together at Legers and she was just getting acquainted with the musical Wicked much to Aunt Lilian's disappointment.
I love Caitlin and think she is a beautiful girl. She is fun to watch and such a pill :) She seems to exude happiness wherever she goes and I think that is a huge blessing.
Uncle Tim said.....
Caitlin is awesome and she really is funny. I have enjoyed watching her talents unfold over the years. She has a beautiful voice and a great stage presence.
All I can say is that when it comes to her talents she is top drawer (pun completely intended).
I remember when she was born that it was such a great blessing to have another little girl in the Leger family. Caitlin, you are doing so well in life and I am very proud of you.
I love you,
Uncle Tim
I remember when Caitlin stopped eating candy or drinking soda for a year, I was very impressed when she completed it.
Caitlin has always had a very exuberant, enthusiastic personality, and now that we're older, the two and a half year age gap doesn't seem large at all, I loved hanging out with her at the beach house. She was very outgoing and nice to my friend Richelle that I brought, and I was glad that she helped incorporate Richelle into the "cousins" group so that I wouldn't have to miss out on hanging out with my family at all.
Also, I second the perfect hair statement. I have told her on multiple occasions how jealous I am of that thick, shiny blond hair! But its befitting of a girl who shares her name with a Disney Princess (Rose) :D
Caitlin is awesome. She is all personality and really rocks those pink guitars.
We like to go to Leger's on Redwood Road on Saturdays when we get the chance. Caitlin always greets us with a smile, and occasionally blushes when I coment on one of her Facebook updates. JuLee loves the sandwiches Caitlin makes for her.
We Love you Caitlin!
JuLee & Archie
I absolutely just LOVE Caitlin! When I started coming around the family, she was 6 years old and we would play Polly Pockets while Jeremy played his guitar and ignored us! ;) Being the youngest daughter in my family, I didn't have little siblings around like Jeremy did, but I loved it! I loved tending Caitlin, and I believe there was a time there that we would tend every Fri. night. We would order pizza, play and tuck Caitlin into bed. She would make Jeremy and me cry after we closed her door because of her tender little heart, her sweet prayers, and just her love for Jeremy and me. I SILL have a little picture she drew for me while Jeremy and I were in high school. It's a picture of Jer giving me a wedding ring and she wrote a little poem about how we would get married and how much Jeremy loved me. :) Once when we were golfing with Jeremy, Caitlin and I broke a little purple tee in half (her idea) :) to keep and remember each other by. ha ha
Now that Caitlin is grown up, Jer and I have enjoyed having her come up to just hang out, talk, tell us all the boy/high school drama, and just be together. Caitlin is such a good, sweet, talented girl, and I am so proud of all the things she has done so far in her life. Caitlin is funny, pretty, loves life, and has a great, positive attitude. I'm so proud to call her my little sister! :)
While her days of singing to Wicked drove me nuts... (LOL Melissa!) Caitlin is precious to me
I get to brag and say... I was there that St. Patrick's day in 1993! NOT in the room, but just outside the door when Caitlin took her first breath and began to cry! I was SO excited that she was here!
Caitlin reminds me a lot of myself in her spirited, talkative, silly, etc. personality!
I love to talk with her and here about her adventures as a teenager. I love teasing her about Christian Bale, KK, and any other man/boy she may have a crush on. (Wasn't Simon Cowell once in that group?)
I love it when I say things to her that make her say, "Lili-freakin'-lin!" When she does that, I just know that she loves me!!! But what she might not know is how much I TRULY love her!!!
I didn't know either that Caitlin doesn't est fruit. And I didn't know she has 2 pink guitars! I thought she only has one. This was an awesome post to read because I found out interesting things about her. I have memories of little Caitlin in Yuma and Salinas and I distinctly remember thinking what a little lesley she is and how lucky Les is because she will have a best friend in her daughter always. I also remember going to LA with Les and Caitlin to see Wicked. To kill time we shopped on Hollywood Blvd. I noticed how uncomfortable Caitlin was, she was rather upset to be there and I felt bad for her, but I also thought how appropriate for her to be uncomfortable in such a place. In Caitlin's case, I would actually liken it to an angel making an emergency crash landing in hell. Caitlin is such a sweet, precious, good girl and to be all of a sudden surrounded by crowds of degenerate-looking weir-dos,:-) something so outside her daily world, must have been an awful experience. I hope Caitlin will always have that light in her. I certainly felt that light the very first time I held her when she was a baby and it made me happy in a weepy kind of way :-). She is a really special girl.
When I started reading, I thought what a chore you must have had, condensing all the beautiful things about Caitlin to one entry. you did a great job. She is beautiful inside and out. I am so blessed that she has been in my life! I remember whispering in her ear when I first met her. She has lived up to it!
Jeremy said...I always thought Jeff was after that "Little House on the Prarie" collection :-) I love Caitlin Rose so much and am so grateful that she is my sister. She has always been one of my best friends and I am so proud of everything she has accomplished, Love you caitlin...Jeremy
Since you-know-who broke up with his girlfriend... I am holding my breath that the arranged marriage we so carefully planned with still happen. I love Caitlin! She makes me smile whenever I see her. I remember the night at my grandma's when you told me she was on her way. What a blessing she is to not only your family, but to all who know her. Love ya! Mean It!
What can I say about Rosie? I love her with all my heart and so do Kristin and the boys.
Post a Comment