"Family Friday" is quickly winding down and coming to an end, there are only two weeks left. I will have featured 47 family members when it is over and I have observed that there is something unique about the family member who I am featuring this week; he is my only brother "in-law" on my side of the family. Of course I am talking about Cory.
Cory met my sister Lilian in the summer of 1984, shortly after she returned from the beach house. He moved in with some guys who lived next door to my parents home and, well... the rest is history. They were married in the Salt Lake Temple on December 6, 1985. Over the next several years Cory and Lilian became the proud parents of five handsome sons.There are a lot of things I love about my BIL Cory, I'm going to mention a couple of important ones here. First of all, Cory has always made me feel welcome and comfortable in his home. Mike and I love to go on a Friday or Saturday night and watch movies with Cory and Lilian and their friends, often we invite ourselves, but we know we can. When I go into the house and I see Cory sometimes I say, "dad, we're home." Cory always has a big smile and a welcoming hug, and he always says that we can come back. The second thing I'm going to mention is Cory's hugs; they are the BEST!
Cory is a very handy guy and he's always willing to help others with their projects. He is a good carpenter and finished his basement beautifully; and now he lets our entire family invade it for many of our family parties. Cory is also really good at electronics. When me moved into our new home Cory was right there to help Mike install our TV on the wall. Mike was so grateful for Cory and his knowledge and willingness to share it. One thing I've observed about Cory, he is always ready, willing, and able to help in whatever way he can. And he'll even bring the tools!

Cory has a job. Do you remember "The Incredibles?" or did you ever see California's "Governator" in the movie (only on TV of course) "True Lies?" 'nuff said. Of course with me there is never 'nuff said, so I did get permission from Cory to say that he meets with NATO. Although we really don't know what Cory does we do know that he travels all over the world and consequently Cory has a lot of frequent flyer miles. In 1997 Cory very generously treated me and Lilian to a trip to England (with his miles) to visit our parents while they were on their mission; FIRST CLASS SEATS! Cory is awesome! 'nuff said.
Cory is interested in what's going on with the family. Selling and buying a house was an extemely stressful and emotional experience for me. I remember Cory coming to the new house (before we bought it) to check it out; he also called me on the phone to see how things were coming along, and I'll never forget the time that we were talking on the phone and he said to me, "it's your turn (for a house)." That meant a lot to me. Cory celebrates other peoples successes. That is a quality that I admire.
Cory is very tender hearted. He cares about everyone in this family. When Ashleigh was sick he came to our house one day with a pair of "Little Mermaid" socks that he had bought for her. Those were the last socks she ever wore.
Things to know about Cory: He was student body president at Gunnison high school. He's patient. He teaches the Gospel Doctrine class in Sunday School. He loves movies; two of his favorites are: "The Flinstone's Christmas" and "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers". He likes "Popeye's Chicken"; I'd never heard of it until I saw Cory eating it at t'ocean. Every year after Thanksgiving he takes his boys to Gunnison to cut down a fresh Christmas tree. He is an avid Denver Broncos fan; he even had a dog named Elway. He's a great husband and father. He is a good provider for his family. He is a wonderful son and brother. He honors the priesthood. He loves the Lord. He loves my baby sister. He can get to California quicker than anyone I know. He doesn't draw attention to himself. He's a tease. Cory once had a cool car named Henry. He's very good at buying cars. I am so grateful for Cory, I know the rest of the family is too. We are so lucky to have him in our family and we love him.
Cory's family: Michael, Jacob, Taylor, Jessica, Russell, Lilian, and Cory (Elder Alan Nielsen will be home three months from tomorrow)
11 comments:
Cory is indeed very generous with his time. He once installed a new car stereo for me that I had purchased at one of those three day events theY advertise on the radio with really loud shouting: "Car stereos for as low as 35-dollars... THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS!!!" And when we lived in El Cajon and decided to move back to Utah, Cory (and Lilian) can down from Lancaster to pull a UHaul trailer to Utah for us. Cory's one of the good guys. Happy Family Friday Cory!
Lesley's computer must still be temperamental because Cory and I actually met in 1984 right after we returned from the beach. We got married 18 months after we met, not 6 months after. :-)
When the group of "men" moved into the house next door to us when I was still just a Junior in high school, mom made me promise to NEVER talk to them! I had no problem obeying. However, that was only because Cory didn't move in with them until 6 months later ;-)
Cory is the best husband and dad! He loves having the family at our home. When we were building our house he always talked about the parties we could have because of the space available in the house.
Another thing to know - he has always been voted "best dad" by friends of my kids. He loves having the boys' friends over and loves to hang out with them. Sometimes I have to go get him away from the teenagers and remind him that he's the dad and though they love him, they probably would prefer to just hang out without parents around.
He loves his boys so much. He cheers for them, praises them, cries for them, and shares in all their joys and accomplishments.
I love my Cory. I wouldn't trade him for anything!
Sorry Cory and Leenz... I fixed it. I was thinking it was after your trip to England. But I was also thinking that you knew each other for longer than 6 months. I'll blame my computer. You should see what it's doing right now. Pray it will make it throught 2 more weeks of "Family Friday".
Uncle Cory has always been there for me. I always know that he is looking out for me. When I was about 11 he started calling me Amazon because I was getting so tall (must have stopped at 11). He does give GREAT hugs and is always very personal. He looks you in the eye and has a nice conversation with you free from distraction, always asking how YOU are. He is very thoughtful and I love Lilian and Cory's love story by the way...I think it is really funny.
I love Cory's hugs too. You know you have been hugged after you have had a hug from Cory. Also I love Cory's chili. It is HOT and that is just how I like it. I remember a couple of years ago when we had Thanksgiving dinner at Cory & Lilian's. Cory seemed to be working hard to cook, clean and serve each one of us. He never complained or whined. He was so gracious and sincerely acted happy and welcoming that we were all there. Cory is also very tenderhearted. It is easy to see how much he loves Lilian and the boys as well as the extended family. He is generous and kind and we all appreciate being the recipients of going to their home for family parties. They both know how to have a party and make everyone feel welcome.
Cory is also very smart. I have tried to ask him what he does at work, but it goes over my head. I am glad he is in the family even though he is soooooo much younger than I am :)!
I remember the day I met Cory. I was six years old playing with Grandpa (I think horseshoes) on the side of the house bordering Cory's yard. Cory came over and introduced himself to Grandpa. Little did I know then how much I would come to know and love this new guy.
Cory's always been fun and supportive. He was encouraging when I started getting more serious about playing piano. Though Uncle Alan introduced me to Styx at a young age, Cory introduced me to the song "Come Sail Away" and suggested I learn it. So I learned it one day when I babysat Russell, Alan and Taylor (which explains why I didn't change Taylor's diaper).
I remember Cory letting me drive Henry at 16. (I thought I knew how to drive a stick.)
I have loads of memories of Cory, including getting out of school early in first grade to watch cartoons on my birthday, playing games late into the night when Cory and Lilian let us sleep over, playing Pole Position and listening to "Danger Zone," lots of stuff.
The older I get, and the more precious I realize time is, the more I appreciate Cory hanging out with his nephews.
And family get-togethers, trips, and parties aren't complete without Cory.
Cory has always been a VERY nice brother in law. Generous with his time, talents and resources, always. I have to admit, however, I had a hard time figuring out his humor at first. When we were just getting to know each other I had a hard time determining if he was serious, or being sarcastic, or just teasing or bragging or complaining. I was still learning the nuances of American humor and things got lost in translation :-) But I'm glad to say I eventually got Cory and am glad we belong to the same family. He is a fun and lovable BIL.
I like Cory. He told me once that he loved me!!!!! but said if I ever repeated that he would deny it...... He can deny it all he wants, he still said it.
He is very quiet, I think he is still trying to figure out what he got himself into...... but he loves us ALL. He is very considerate and always treats me well, especially this past few weeks he has babied me!!!!!!
Yes I did tell Lilian to stay away from the boys next door....... so what else is new in the world since Adam and Eve. But he is definately a part of our family, a precious part. I am glad he is. Love you Cory.
My Dad is my hero. He has always been the hardest working person I know, and he won't quit until the job is done right. He even got up at four thirty in the morning in the middle of a freezing January to help me with a flat tire because I had no gloves and my jack broke (he bent it back into place with his bare hands).
I've always though of my Dad as Superman because he can do anything.
I remember the first time I met Cory. I had long since moved out of Mom & Dad's house so I wasn't up on the latest news in WB. Lilian had told me she was dating this guy who moved next door. I was a little suspicious, but tried to keep an open mind. She told me he drove a really cool Trans Am so I became really suspicious and a little concerned. I didn't need some "player" making the move on my little sister with his cool car. I tried to be the cool older brother and give this guy a chance. And yes, ok, he had a really cool car. I think I even impressed Cory by pointing out his cool Recaro Racing seats.
Cory is a great BIL. He cracks me up all the time. He's been an awesome husband to my sister and has a lot to be proud of in his sons, especially two missionaries.
A couple of years ago during a family bbq for I believe Alyssa's graduation party, someone locked the keys in their car so I drove Cory home to pick up an extra set. It was great to chat one on one. We even discussed really cool cars that we used to have. :-)
We love you Uncle Cory.
Archie & JuLee
Uncle "Wowo" does give the best hugs! He is so sweet and kind to always have the whole family over to his house, and ALWAYS makes you feel welcome!
I don't think there has ever been a family function, where Cory hasn't come up to Jeremy and me to give us a hug, and to ask what we're doing in our lives at the moment.
I think Cory has a very tender heart, and you can tell how much he loves Lilian and his boys.
I love talking to Cory and always feel so comfortable around him. He's just a happy, easy going, friendly guy, who always makes you feel important. What a great guy we are blessed with for an uncle!!!
Post a Comment