Friday, February 19, 2010

Family Friday: Featuring My Sister (by marriage) JuLee

This week on "Family Friday" I'm featuring my sister "in-law" JuLee. I'm going to state right here at the top of this post that JuLee is one of the kindest, sweetest, and most sincere people that I know. When I talk to, or I am with JuLee she always makes me feel good.

JuLee's parents had three sons and one daughter. An interesting thing about JuLee's family is that all four of the kids names start with the letter "J" (like their dad Jerry) and all but one of them has double letters in their name. JuLee and Archie followed this pattern with their three girls, they all start with the letter "A" like Archie, and they all have double letters in their names.

Archie and JuLee met when Archie worked with JuLee's brother Jerry at Mountain Fuel (Questar), they were married on August 2, 1986 in St. Ann's Church. After the wedding they held a reception at the Jordan Riverboat. It was such a fun reception, and such a unique place, we all enjoyed it very much. JuLee and Archie's first home was a townhouse in WVC. JuLee has always been very organized, neat and tidy, and right on top of everything and anything that needs to be done. After a couple of years of married life their three little girls came in quick succession. I've always been impressed with how JuLee could work full-time, maintain a spotless home, and keep up with girls homework and lessons. JuLee and Archie have a close knit family unit; one of the things that impresses me the most is the fact that the three girls are best friends. JuLee is very disciplined and motivated (two attributes that I greatly admire), when Aubree graduates this spring, all three of her girls will have graduated with an associates degree from SLCC one month before their high school graduation. That is a fabulous accomplishment for each of these girls and I'm sure that JuLee was a motivating factor in it.

Alyssa Ann, JuLee Ann, Aubree Ann, and Ammanda Ann

One of my favorite JuLee stories happened several years ago while we were at Questar Lagoon Day. JuLee, Archie, Mike, and I and the four girls (Ammanda, Alyssa, Aubree, and Caitlin) were on the Log Flume ride. You know how long it takes to wait in line for that ride... forever!! The four girls were in one log, and the four adults in the log right behind them. A storm had started; there was thunder and lightening in the distance and the wind and rain was upon us. The girls log started to ascend the big hill (the one you look forward to during the whole ride) and just as they reached the top... the ride stopped. The log that the adults were in had just started to ascend the hill when this happened. It was pretty scary, the lightening, the wind, the rain. I don't remember how long we waited but we could hear some of the girls crying because they were scared. We kept shouting comforting words up the hill to them (shout and comfort don't really go together, but... it was a noisy storm). Finally the ride started to work and both of the logs went over the hill and made a big splash at the bottom. As the adult log meandered it's way back to the starting point where we would disembark, we could see that there were hundreds of people waiting for their turn on the ride, so JuLee started shouting a warning over and over, "DON'T.GET ON.THE RIDE!!!DON'T.GET ON.THE RIDE!!!" It was a little scary on the ride for a few minutes, but we laughed pretty hard at JuLee's council to deaf ears (the people still got on the ride). We still occasionally remember that story and Mike will say to JuLee, "DON'T. GET ON. THE RIDE."

One summer Mike and I and Jeff, Jeremy, and Caitlin went camping with JuLee and Archie's family in Yellowstone. We had such a fun trip together. I remember when we went to Old Faithful, as soon as it started to erupt JuLee was whooping and hollering with excitement. This was in August and Old Faithful was very crowded, JuLee was the most excited person there. It's always fun to see JuLee's enthusiasm.

Aubree, Caitlin, Alyssa, Ammanda, and JuLee; there is a reason that the girls are sitting on top of the truck and JuLee is standing as high up as she can get... there is a bear right across the street; seriously

At the beach house last summer; Mike, Aubree, JuLee, Ammanda, and Archie. Alyssa couldn't come, I suspect that is who JuLee is talking to on the phone

Things to know about JuLee: She is a wonderful hostess, she always makes you feel welcome in her home. She loves animals. She is very tenderhearted. She is extremely organized. She works hard. She likes "Survivor". She's a great wife and mother. She's a good listener. She's funny. She enjoys camping. JuLee and my son Jeffrey share the same birthday. She's kind. She is a very competitive player at musical chairs. Her nickname is Sally. She is a happy person. I love it when she laughs. She gave birth to Alyssa on my birthday. She always organizes the family Cherry Hill day for the birthdays. She has a dog named Biscuit. We are all so grateful that JuLee is in our family, and we all love her very much.

15 comments:

Lilian said...

I have always really loved Julee. She and Archie go together so well. You forgot to mention the delcious cupcakes she always brings to Cherry Hill. Everything you said is true. She is a wonderful hostess and also a wonderful guest. She's one of my favorite sister-in-law!

Lesley said...

I was going to mention the cupcakes... but I think one of the girls usually makes them :-)

Archie said...

I love family fridays and I've been waiting for this week's feature with great anticipation. Les you do an amazing job.

What do you say about your best friend? I completely married above my station and JuLee is truly my better half.

JuLee is a wonderful wife and partner and is an amazing mother. You'll hear me speak of my "four girls" and I often refer to them as the "four JuLees".

JuLee believes strongly in education and has been the primary support and sustaining influence in the educational accomplishments of Ammanda, Alyssa and Aubree. JuLee earned two Associates degrees. One in Accounting and one in Business Finance.

JuLee has a pure and tender heart. She often refuses to watch movies that she knows will make her cry. She's never watched Titanic with me because she knows most of the people will die and it will be sad. When JuLee hears the song "Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogleberg she often comments that the woman should be home with her husband on Christmas Eve instead of having drinks in a car with an old friend.

JuLee loves to spend time with family. She really enjoys seeing David in plays and attending events where Dad/Grandpa is performing. She enjoys walking and hiking. Especially when we go on trips.

JuLee has an un-wavering love for and faith in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior.

As I reflect on my life thus far, and consider the various decisions in my life and the impact those decisions have made on my life I can tell you without question or hesitation that my decision to spend my life with JuLee was the best decision I've made. It was not a casual decision, but one that was truly inspired. Since this August is our 24th anniversary I'm guessing I have to wait till next year to tell the story of the courtship and marriage of JuLee and Archie. For now its important to me that you know that my decision to marry JuLee was truly an inspiration in every sense of the word.

JuLee is my wife, my lover, my best friend. She is one of my four guardian angels on this earth.

I love her more than words can express.

Anonymous said...

My Mom is an amazing woman and has been encouraging me and my sisters to be the best we possibly can. She's always been there to listen to my problems and give me advice. And even though I sometimes don't show it I do truly appreciate her input. SHe's helped me in every major event in my life and I don't think I could have survived without her help.
Academically mom was on top of it. She always looked at our homework growing up and was there to help us when we needed it. I especially needed it in 4th grade when I was sick wit the flue and out of school for about a week and a half. My teacher showed me no mercy and I had a stack of homework taller than I was waiting for me. But my mom sat there for hours helping me with my math and spelling homework and reading over my papers. She is also very creative when it comes to class projects such as the State project i had in 3rd grade. I got kentucky and she helped me create a horse track but let me do most of the work. She pushed us all to do the New Century scholarship and I'm glad she did. Its made college much easier financially and academically.

THank you Mom!
I love you!

Alan said...

I literally laughed out loud at Julee's disapproval of the woman in the Dan Fogleberg song. It's so Julee, and she's right. Julee is a very principled woman. I didn't meet Julee until I returned from my mission. I remember she attended my homecoming in Sacrament meeting which at the time said a lot about her natural desire to be thoughtful and supportive. Beside that though, she is just fun to be around. When we lived in West Jordan we used to shop at the grocery store where Julee's dad worked. He always went out of his way to greet us and chat with us and it was clear Julee comes from a wonderful family. I've always been grateful my brother married Julee. I hope you guys will visit us again soon. It was great to have you guys in our home.

em said...

Well, I would like to know why Arch hasn't changed the spelling of his name to "Archee" by now so that he can fit in with the double letters?!? :)

I think JuLee is one of the nicest, sweetest people I've ever met. She is always so concerned about what is going on in others lives, and has always made me feel like she is really interested in what Jeremy, Mason and I are up to.
I love JuLee's laugh, and think it's so contagious; she is just a pleasant, happy person to be around! You can tell she has been a wonderful mother, and has raised 3 pretty amazing kids.
We love Aunt JuLee!

Margie said...

Julee is an angel!! She is very kind and has a very tender heart. It is very evident as I talk with Julee that she cares about people and she is very sincere. Julee has very high standards and I have always been impressed with her diligence in maintaining her standards. She is a wonderful wife and mother and it is easy to see that Archie and the girls all adore her. As does the extended family. She is a very charitable person and cares for those around her.

I love to hear Julee laugh too. She has a very contagious and I am smiling right now as I can hear it in my mind. She is a lot of fun to be around and to talk to.

I have always been impressed with Julee's incredible organizational skills. She is a hard worker, but she also know how and when to have fun.

She is also a wonderful aunt to each of our children. She is interested in them and it shows.
I can't imagine the name Archie without added Julee. I loved Archie's comments too. They complete each other :)! Love you Julee

Marivic said...

Julee was supportive and loving towards me from the get-go. We "met" before we both officially became Mrs. Marsdens. She was at Mom and Dad's house with Archie my very first day in America. I was all culture-shocked at that moment but I was nevertheless impressed that she cared enough for Alan to take time to be there that day. She gave me a necklace as a welcome to America and to the family present. I was so touched!!!! It was beautiful and I wore it to my wedding breakfast. And Julee has been a wonderful sister-in-law throughout the years, always kind, always gracious. I don't think there is ever a time since I met her that I had a negative opinion of her, and that says a lot about Julee's character . I just love Julee!

Ammanda Ann said...

I really enjoyed this blog about wo de mama. She is always motivating us to do our best and I love her very much.

Bea said...

I love JuLee and have enjoyed her "development". It used to be when she came to the hospital to meet a new baby she would not hold it, but after Ammanda was born she came to the hospital to meet Alan Nielsen she gave Ammanda to me took Alan and then knew all the questions to ask a new mother. Fun!! I remember when she was expecting Ammanda she was scared because she had "no experience" I assured her that she was designed to be a Mother and that Heavenly Father would guide her. She has been a A+ student. She does love to keep a clean and tidy home but unlike other "house-proud" women that I know she did not get upset when the cookies fell on the floor she just called up a dog to lick up the crumbs.
We have always enjoyed being around her and always feel welcome and at home in her home. And she listens to G'pa's stories endlessly. She is a Christian woman and has very high standards. We all have laughed at her "soft heart" when she cries over a hurt person or dog, but it is a great quality and I love her for it. She does not have her own agenda, just to be a friend and to love people and her family. I am sure glad to be part of her "family"
Love you JuLee.

Bea said...

This is from Granpa:
If I were to write a book to explain how we all feel about "our" Julee, it would be difficult to find the words. Many wonderful things have been said about her, I think the main thing I can say is that she is a choice daughter of God, a true Christian. I am very happy that she belongs to us!!. I love JuLee Ann Marsden.

Margie said...

Tim said...

As soon as you mention the name "Julee" my initial response will always be to think of happy and funny things. Julee cracks me up; she is absolutely hilarious. Everytime we see each other she says "Hi Uncle Tim."

I loved spending time with Archie and Julee (or should that be Archee?) in Disneyland last summer. When we rode the canoes I mentioned I didn't want to sweat and that I would just pretend to row. She wouldn't have any of that and we were admonished to row and have a good time doing it. As we raced the canoe next to us my competitive side kicked in and I started rowing harder and yelling to those behind me to row harder (I was in the very front). As the other canoe began to pull away I turned around to see how hard people were rowing. To my amazement Julee had her oar in her lap and she was looking around at the scenery. It was too dang funny!!!

You are awesome Julee and I am so thankful for your great example and that you are part of our family.

I love you,
"Uncle Tim"

Archie said...

Aubree Says:
I have shared alot of wonderful memories with my mom. As far as I know, she is SuperWoman! Whenever I have a problem or Im in a sticky situation, I know I can always count on her guidance. When Ammanda and Alyssa have been buzy with college, Im usually the one home with mom, and I love all the time we spend together. It hasn't hit me yet that I'm going to be going down to Cedar, away from my mom, for weeks at a time. But I know when the sour feeling of homesickness sets in, I can always count on her.

Archie said...

JuLee says....

Thanks everyone for all your wonderful comments. I love being a member of this family. Thanks Lesley for your love and time you have spent for each and every one of us.

Andy said...

I love JuLee. I remember when I was a little guy and told JuLee I liked reading, she was really excited and from then on if there was an occasion for a present, it was a book. And I loved getting books.

I remember going to Archie and JuLee's for a barbeque shortly before flying to England with Grandpa and Grandma. I was a little nervous to fly for my first time. When JuLee discovered this, rather than say, "don't be nervous Andy, there's nothing to be afraid of," JuLee said, in all earnestness, "Well if the plane starts to go down, head to the back of the plane. You have a better chance of surviving if you are in the back."

I bet I have thought of JuLee every time I have been in an airplane since.

At any rate, that's just one thing to love about JuLee. She is one of the few people I know who can give that kind of unsolicited advice and come away even more likeable than before.