Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Treasure Hunt

The first time that I ever hosted a "friend" birthday party for one of my children, I decided that a treasure hunt would be a fun activity. I made a treasure box and filled it with the party goodies and hid it in the dryer. During the party I gave the children their first clue which sent them on a hunt for the next clue, and the next... until they finally found the treasure. After doing this for another child's birthday I decided that there were three elements to making a child's birthday party successful; opening the gifts, eating cupcakes, and a treasure hunt.

For several years now Caitlin has had an annual sleepover with her cousin Chelsea and her childhood friend Danielle. I thought it would be fun the first year to do a treasure hunt, it was so much fun that it has now become a tradition.

In the fall of 2008 (in the picture) I mentioned that maybe they were getting to old for treasure hunts. I received an enthusiastic "NO!!!!" I laughed and told them that we would be having treasure hunts at their bridal showers.

Last Friday night was the annual sleepover. I told Caitlin not to expect a treasure hunt because I was co-hosting another party at my friends house and I was to busy to organize the hunt. I think that Caitlin might have believed me this time. While at my party I texted all three girls with the same message, "are u girls to old for a treasure hunt?" Within seconds I received three messages back, "No Way!!!!:D"; "Course not!!"; and "NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!" I then sent them their first clue via text message.

I came home to three happy finders of treasure. I think that there will definitely have to be treasure hunts at their bridal showers.

7 comments:

adrienne said...

What a great tradition!

Melissa said...

You are such an amazing Mom/aunt/friend/sister/daughter! I look up to you so much. I think your best quality is that you take something relatively simple and small to the casual observer and turn it into something special for someone else. I want to be like you! Hannah and I are having a treasure hunt today :)

Tiffany said...

I love what Melissa said. You've motivated me to record/blog about the treasure hunts I do. I firmly believe these kind of activities are the things kids will remember the most.

Danielle Jackson said...

Lesley! Your treasure hunts are truly the highlight of my life!! You are so amazing, and I love you to pieces! I am positive that we will probably be doing treasure hunts at our bridal showers :)

Bea said...

Now I feel inadequate :o(
I don't think I ever did a treasure hunt for my children :o( they have been sadly neglected :o(
How can I repent?
Never mind I love them anyway :o)
Sounds like you know how to make girls happy :o)
I have never been to a bridal treasure hunt :o)
Perhaps finding the guy is the prize :o)
I look forward to them.
Not too soon though.

Margie said...

That sounds like so much fun!! You are a very fun mom!!

I've been trying to get in touch to find out about Prom. Call when you have a minute :)

em said...

Such cute girls!!! How fun, too!!!