Monday, August 25, 2008

Happy Birthday Baby Boy!!

Today is my "Baby Boy" Jeremy's birthday. He's 25 years old on the 25th of August, the exact age I was when he was born. Right from the very start Jeremy was a joy to me. First of all he came early!! My first baby to do that. When he was born the cord was wrapped around his neck; the combination of coming early and the cord being around his neck has always provided Jeremy with a great story which becomes more dramatic each time he tells it. For example he might say, "...I was 6 months early and the cord was wrapped around my neck 10 times." Get the idea. When Jeremy was just a toddler both of his older brothers were in school. He and I were buddies. One of the things I loved to do was go on daily bike rides with Jeremy who rode in a child carrier attached to the bike. The day after his third birthday we flew to Denver with Granma. There were several planes lined up on the runway ready for take off and it seemed we were sitting there forever when Jeremy said, "it's not working Mom" to the amusement of the other passengers. And when we arrived in Denver we had not been in our hotel room 5 minutes when Jeremy accidentally locked himself in the bathroom and security had to come and get him out. Jeremy has always been very kind and loving. In the 3rd grade there was a little handicapped boy in his class. One Saturday morning Granma took Jeremy to breakfast where they saw this boy with his family. Jeremy and the boy hugged and talked to each other. The Mother of the boy commented to Granma how kind Jeremy was to her son, and how happy it made her that he was accepted by other children and how happy it made him. I've always been pleased with Jeremy's people skills and his charismatic personality. He's the one that would tell the mother driving carpool on any particular day how lovely she looked. One of my friends referred to him as "Eddie" (remember Eddie Haskell on Leave it to Beaver? "my you look lovely today Mrs. Cleaver"). My "Baby Boy" has grown into an amazing man. He's a wonderful husband and father and he works hard to take care of his family. He's a good son and brother. He calls his mom often, which makes me happy. He's a righteous example to all of us (if you can think of a Jeremy story please comment). Happy birthday Baby Boy, your Mom loves you XOXOX

9 comments:

Lilian said...

Awwww.. tender moment! Happy birthday to my favorite nephew Jeremy!

Iremember being at the beach house one year and Cory's cereal kept getting eaten and he was getting frustrated at who would eat HIS cereal! Then when we got home we watched our video from the trip. Russell was taping throughout the beach house and at one point Jeremy came in took the box of cereal and walked out the door! We discovered who our culprit was! It was the trip just after he got his mission call!

Bea said...

Well, are you ready? I remember I was in Ireland when he was born. Granpa was in England and he called me to tell me of Jeremy's birth. I remember how relieved you were when we got home. :o) I remember you taking a trip to Hawaii and leaving the boys with us and how we spent "a week" one day with him. I will not go into the details here but if you want that page out of my journal let me know. I also remember the trip to Denver. He had received Nelson Peter (a Cabbage Patch)for his b'day present and "Elson Peter" went with us. He was his Daddy. He and "Elson Peter" had matching jamies. I was told that I was "Elson Peter's" Granma. I was delighted to hear just a few weeks ago that he still has Nelson Peter and introduced him to Mason. He is a great man, still has a "cheeky" grin and a twinkle in his eye. He is my favorite Grandson named Jeremy. Love you Jerms, HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Jeremy was the cutest little toddler when I first met him. When I was staying at your house before Alan and I got married I loved it when he toddled over to my room. One day I shared some of my Easter chocolate with him. He loved it so much he kept coming back for more. Finally, I gave him one more and said, "No more. Okay? No more." A little while later he came back to my room again and pointed to my chocolate bunny on the shelf and started whining, and with puppy dog eyes said, "No more". I said, "Yes, no more. You ate too much already". He went over to the shelf as if to reach for the chocolate and started to cry, "No more, no more". Then I realized he wasn't saying "No more" but calling the chocolate "No more." It was so funny. I couldn't help but give him more. I have other fond memories of Jeremy but they involve diapers so I better not share :-) except the fact that Jeremy is the very first baby I diaper-changed, so he had the honor of breaking me in to the world of babies :-) I will always have a special fondness for Jeremy.

Alan said...

"Alan Marsden: Please come to the counter at Gate D-1."

That of course is from the 1988 trip to the airport to greet the Jazz on their return from a playoff game. I took the three boys. Jeremy must have been four. There were a couple hundred people there with the same idea as us so it was a little chaotic. I must have been a bad uncle because in the blink of an eye Jeremy was missing. "Andy, where's Jeremy?" "I dunno?"... "Jeff???" "He was just here." Before the panic had a chance to set in we heard the humorous and delightful words... "Alan Marsden: Please come to the counter at Gate D-1." There he was. Panic averted.

Lesley said...

Alan you made me LOL. That story is a good memory to share.

Lilian said...

I can't let the comments on this blog go by without also mentioning how special it was to have him staying with us while you were in Hawaii. Ahhhh.. my senior year of high school with a toddler sleeping (crying really) all night in my room. And, the little gift he left in my bottom drawer.... good times, good times.

Melissa said...

I have all the memories of a younger cousin who looked up to her older cousin...I remember driving to california with him one trip and he made me sit one seat away because we might as well enjoy the space we were granted, I remember you suggested when we were teenagers going to disneyland that we should wear shirts that announced we were cousins- not dating and he thought that was a pretty weird idea, I remember that trip to the beach house right after he got his mission call and he kept singing "o Canada" and I think my favorite memory is when he was walking around one time in some plaid boxers and he told me the boxers made him feel like Charles Ingalls and that he felt he could "weep openly like a real man." I can't believe I have yet to meet Mason! I Love Jeremy and I hope he has a great birthday!

Margie said...

Happy Birthday Jeremy. You have a wonderful contagious smile. You have wonderful people skills that began at a very early age. I can remember Jeremy running through Dick's Market yelling TTTTTTTTTTTTT
he was so happy to see his Uncle Tim. I also remember tending Jeremy when he was about 9 months old. I also gained some parenting experience by trying to make a crying baby happy. Poor Jeremy with these unexperienced Aunts and Uncles. You are such a great man and you have a wonderful family. I am so proud to be your aunt!!

Plaidlobster said...

Wanna hear my most random memory of Jeremy? We were in the 5th grade, in Mrs. Black's class learing to dance the "May Pole." I fell and sprained my ankle. Everyone deserted me and I couldn't walk. He stayed behind with me and dragged me on a chair all the way back to the classroom. He even got in trouble with me for being late back to class. I will always remember that he was nice enough to help me get back to class since I wouldn't walk. :)