Thursday, September 11, 2008

"...Music, Music, Music..."

From the time my Dad was a boy in England he has been a performer. And for as long as I can remember he has always been asked to sing for parties, church functions, funerals, and so on...and in 1977 he even recorded a record album. This picture is the cover of that album. When Michael and I got married he wanted to be Dads guitar player. I remember the first time he got that opportunity, it was at Oakridge Country Club in Farmington. He was so nervous that he hid behind his huge amp most of the night. In April of 1978 he played guitar in his first ever Alan Marsden concert...as you can see in this picture he came out from hiding behind his amp to the front of the stage. Andy was just 6 weeks old at that concert, for such a tiny boy he was so attentive to the music, I'm sure he was already getting ideas about song arrangements and harmonies.For more than 30 years Mike and Dad have performed together hundreds of times. For several years Andy has also been part of the act, add our good friend Doug Vandegrift into the mix (Doug was involved as Dad's bass player before Mike or Andy came into the act) you have a great show. At this concert in the West Bountiful City Hall last spring, I enjoyed watching Mike and Doug together. They've been doing this for so many years they seemed to unconciously know each others every move. It was kind of a tender moment to me. The picture of the four of them compared to the pictures at the beginning of the post show just how long these guys have made music together. Here is Granpa, Mike and Andy performing on September 5th for a group of temple workers at their annual summer party (Doug was out of town).I've always been proud of the talent of these men. I have a feeling they'll be making music together for many years to come.

5 comments:

Little GrumpyAngel said...

One of these days it would be nice if the Caleefornya Marsdens could finally see the 4 of them perform. I don't think we've ever seen the 4 of them perform together. But we know that individually they're all talented musicians. So hear, hear, hear the music, music, music ...

Margie said...

I personally am a big fan of the group. Their music has been blessing my life for many years. We are so lucky to have this talent in our family and so lucky that they are so willing to share with others.

Lilian said...

Was Marivic there when dad had a birthday concert a few years ago?? All four of these men played at that. Right? Maybe I'm losing it! Either way, they are all very talented!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Oh, yeah. You might be right Lileenz. Except I don't really remember. Our visits are too far apart my memory of each visit is fuzzy. I don't even remember what they played that night. I remember Dad and the grandkids singing a Joseph song, and that there was dancing, but that's about it. We need to make newer memories.

heather said...

I remember hearing you at the West Bountiful Talent Fair and seeing all of you do the sound/cheer on Becca. Music unites families and what a fun way to make memories!