Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Office Part 1

Now don't get all excited, I'm not referring to that office, but I thought that the title might catch the attention of some of you that read my blog. It seems that if there is anything in life that is constant, it is change (didn't someone say something like that?). For the past 3 years and 10 days I have worked in a Doctor's office. An OB/Gyn; you know, a Doctor who delivers babies and other (ahem) exciting things like that. It has been a great job and I have loved it, but other opportunities have come my way and it is time to move along. Unfortunately for me I have always been a "tenderheart", I don't like good-byes in any way, shape, or form and I'm going to be saying good-bye to people that I have spent 2-3 days a week with. My co-workers. What is a co-worker actually? Is it just someone you see day after day at work, someone you may share your lunch hour with, or talk about the movie you saw over the weekend. For me my co-workers are people who are more than that....they are people who I've really come to care about, so I wanted to share some of my feelings for these people who I've spent part of my life with. I'll begin with Dr. Steele and Susan. Dr. Steele is of course.... the boss. He has been a great employer and I have truly enjoyed working for him. He is very easy going which makes for a relaxed atmosphere in the office. At this point I will insert "small world" factor. Dr. Steele delivered my nephew Sean 19 years ago, and next week Sean will fly out to Australia, to the same mission where Dr. Steele served. Susan is Dr. Steele's MA (Medical Assistant), she is the one who told me that the receptionist job was available. I have learned a lot from Susan as we have carpooled and worked together. We share an office with the U of U gynecological cancer clinic. Heidi (the MA) has been at the office much longer than me, she is an amazing worker. As I've seen patients come and go from their office (with types of cancers that you'd never know existed) I've occasionally thought that if I were ever one of their patients, Heidi would be a welcome and comforting sight. Although Heidi is one of the "little sisters" in the office she is more like the "mother" because she looks out for every ones best interests. She doesn't like to see anyone treated un-fairly. Kylee (another MA) is probably the "baby sister" of the office. I have been very impressed with Kylee. She has been married for almost two years and is very committed to her role as a wife. I'm amazed when I hear about the meals she cooks, and how wise she is with her resources, and her dedication to her church calling. She is the only girl in her family and I have sometimes thought as I've listened to her sharing her experiences with us, I hope my daughter (only girl) grows up as happy and as well balanced as Kylee. Megan is "the teenage-sister" of the office. For 2 1/2 years she was a voice at the other end of the telephone as we called back and forth scheduling ultra sounds for our patients; six months ago she came to work at our office. When I heard that Megan was coming to work with us I was so excited, although I had never met her I knew she was such a nice person just through our brief conversations over the phone. I was right. She is also a "tenderheart" like me. She is so kind to others and helps people in need, even if she doesn't know them very well. The two of us have shared the front office together and have enjoyed many meaningful conversations (and a lot of laughter). It seems funny to think that Megan is the same age as my oldest son, if I were her mother I'd be very proud of her as I'm sure her mother is. Of course I can't forget to mention Brad our ultra sound tech or Michelle our Phlebotomist (I'll always think of Michelle on her birthday) and others that have come and gone....Jacque, Meradee, Jenna....these people truly are more than just co-workers to me. They have become my friends. I know you guys are reading this so I just want to say....Love ya! Mean it!! (Stay tuned for part 2 to be posted at noon on Friday)

Megan, Kylee, Susan, and Heidi

7 comments:

Lilian said...

I know what you mean about "co-workers" I consider all mine to be my friends. I actually dread the day I quit my job. (Not that it will be anytime too soon). Only because I would miss them all a lot!

I'm happy for you to move on and be "Mom Boss" for REAL!

Tiffany said...

I am in anticipation for the noon post. (In fact, so is Mike when I told him about it.)
I am sure the co-workers think as highly of you as you do of them and will miss you just as much.
You'll be a great HR Sandwich Gal!

Bea said...

That is why I never went back to work, too hard to quit. But a great post. You do have a tender heart. :o)

heather said...

I can't wait to see what you are going to do next!

Margie said...

I love how tender you are Les. Your co-workers will really miss you a lot.

Dr. Steele doesn't look a thing like I remember him. When Sean was born, he had jet black hair and, well lets just say, he looked a lot different. I remember having a great experience having him deliver Sean.

Kylee said...

Lesley you are so sweet. This post made us laugh and cry and we miss you already. I'm glad we can keep track of you on your blog:o)Love ya, Kylee and Heidi!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Tender-moment post. I'm sure they'll miss as much as you'll miss them.

But since we don't live in Utah and talk to you often, I'm just wondering, why are you leaving your job?