This morning I called Verizon Wireless to ask a question about my account. Of course I had to go through numerous menu options before finally getting to a human to ask my question to. But it turns out that I am not authorized to discuss the account with Verizon; only Michael is. "I've had this account for years," I explained, "I've always been the one to call and discuss the account." "Yes ma'am (drone voice), but our policies have changed as of September 2008 and only the person whose name is on the account can discuss it. Michael will need to call Verizon and authorize your name on the account, and then we can talk to you." So I then ask her if there is a way he can call without going through all of the menu options again. She gives me an easier route and then asks, "is there anything else I can answer about your account today?" What?....Huh?....I'm confused. Wasn't I just told that she could not talk to me about my account? Is this what is refered to as an oxy moron!?! My answer:(politely; in a slightly....extremely slightly sarcastic tone) "apparently not, since I am not authorized to discuss the account. Thank you."
Do you think I told her what to do with her freckles !?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
How frustrating! I hope you did tell her what to do with her freckles! I know the cliche, "don't shoot the messenger" but at times-that is the only option for us to take out our frustrations on!!
I'm a lot better at telling people what to do with their freckles over the phone. It's a lot easier to show your frustration when you're not actually looking at the person. I say good for you!
I bet they don't mind taking a check signed by you though! We had the same problem with T-Mobile. My name was on the acct. so they wouldn't talk to Cory without my approval. So, he handed the phone to me and said, "tell them I can authorize things" and I took the phone and told them it was okay, then they were fine with it. But how the heck to they know it was REALLY ME when I said that??? Idiots.
Obviously a very frustrating experience. Unfortunately, customer service people are low men on the totem pole, not the decision makers, get paid minimum wage to deal with customers angry with policy and procedures set by management. Being in the service industry, I always reserve the freckles for when I talk to their managers.
I'm sorry you had to go through that!! I am with Marivic on this one. I usually give it just a couple of minutes and then I ask to speak to the supervisor. Experience has taught me, that is the only place that they have the ability to act.
I think you handled it well.
I could suggest an alternative if you're ready to jump ship (wink wink)
Today I almost told Sonic what to do with their freckles when I saw a commercial for their "awesome" value menue which was comprised of about three things, one of which being a banana for a DOLLAR! I think I bought seven bananas for a dollar the other day. I wanted to ask them if there was anything special about their bananas that they can sell them for a thousand times more than they are worth.
Post a Comment