Monday, March 1, 2010

The Eagles Have Landed

Every winter for the past ten years we have driven down Pages Lane to go see the Farmington Bay Eagles. From November through February they come daily to these trees; I refer to the trees as their "timeshares".

When we found our new home we quickly discovered that we had a front row seat to this marvelous scene. One of the first things I've done every morning this winter is to go to my bedroom window to see how many Eagles are in the trees.

Mike set up his spotting scope in the living room so that we could have an even better view of these birds, it really is an amazing sight (I was hoping the neighbors didn't think that we were trying to get a better view of them). Often we see them flying around after they've taken off, or just before they land on the branch of a tree. Our neighbors told us that there have been as many as 60+ Eagles in these trees at one time, recently I saw 19 and that was quite a sight to see. Last Saturday I saw one and that was it, Mike said they are gone until next November.

Those of you who know how I feel about the "feathered variety" may be surprised that I wrote this post. I don't really think of these as birds, but more of a majestic animal; in fact, recently as I looked through the spotting scope and observed an Eagle turning it's head and blinking it's eye I said to Mike, "It is so beautiful, I want to hug it." Mike said to me, "it would claw your eye out." Ouch. At least I had a kind thought for one species of the "feathered variety."

This picture is taken from my house

This is from my corner

Across the street from my corner

This is a "birds-eye" view of my house

10 comments:

Marivic said...

nice pictures, les. those eagles must be really amazing to look at in person. i want to see them someday when i visit your house. anyway---i was kinda surprised when i was reading this post to realize that we're kind of opposite. you don't like the feathered variety but has a tender spot for eagles, while i actually love birds (my grandma had a big cage with several lovebirds when i was a kid) but big birds like eagles freak me out!!!! maybe because i'm a shorty pants and i'm scared they'll snatch me, fly away and eat me :-( i know. i'm weird.

Lilian said...

Eagles are AMAZING.

And I was actually surprised that you were posting about birds.

Tiffany said...

What a fun post! We missed them this year-I can't believe you like them either!!!

Bea said...

Thanx for this post, you have a view people pay thousands for. I love to see the EAGLE a majestic bird.

Lesley said...

I saw one eagle this morning :-)

Aimee said...

Wow, I've never even noticed them. I will have to keep an eye open for them next year.

Bonnie and Jim said...

How nice to be able to enjoy them from your livingroom. They are an awesome sight. Thanks for posting!!

Archie said...

Super cool Les. I want to come out and see them.

Archie said...

Leslie,
Julee says:
This is a beautiful gift from our God. The other week we were in Zions and I was talking with a Native American lady from back east and I told her I saw four Eagles on our way down to Zion and I said what a gift it was. She totally appreciated and loved the comment and agreed.

Thanks for the great pictures Les.
Love
JuLee

Lesley said...

We saw one more tonight. They are still around. You won't want to miss them next year.