Sunday, February 19, 2012

Variety Is The Spice of Life


I loved watching the TV variety shows when I was a little girl in the 1960's. Does anybody remember The Hollywood Palace, The Jimmy Dean Show, The Carol Burnett Show, Dean Martin and the Golddiggers, Red Skelton and Lawrence Welk? Those were some of my favorites. But perhaps my most favorite variety show was The King Family Show. On Saturday nights my mom would make us her amazing hamburgers and chippies (french fries) covered in vinegar (my mouth is watering just thinking of those chippies). On Saturday nights were were often allowed to sit around the coffee table in the living room and eat while we watched the King family in black and white.

I remember the four lovely, blond King sisters dressed in georgeous gowns, and their beautiful harmonies as they sang together. Then of course were the singing King cousins, the blond daughters of the sisters. My favorite of the cousins was Tina Cole who played Katie Douglas on My Three Sons... another TV favorite of mine. The famous guitarist Alvino Rey, who was married to one of the King sisters, also performed on the show. There were other teenagers, and little kids, and in-laws performing each week and I.loved.it!!!

Fast forward to 2012 when we seldom see a variety show like we used to. But the King family is still around. How do I know? Because my hometeacher is the son of one of the King sisters (Luise) and Alvino Rey. Seriously... if anyone would have told me in the early 60's, that one of those kids that I was watching on the TV on Saturday night, while I ate my hamburger and chippies (covered in vinegar) would be my future hometeacher; I'd have thought... no way!! well I'm here to tell you; yes way!! 'cause it's Brother Rey!!! A faithful hometeacher who was here just today.

Does anybody remember the King Family Show? Do you have a favorite variety show from the past? Did you watch My Three Sons? Do you like vinegar on your chips? I'd love to hear about it all!!

4 comments:

Alan said...

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
And yes. All of the above. Well, I barely remember the King Sisters. But you forgot a classic, Hee Haw! Pickin' and Grinnin'. But the Saturday night hamburgers on Dick's ranch rolls were the best. And then there were the classic drama shows, The FBI and Mission Impossible. How did we ever live without DVR's?

Alan said...

Was your home teacher in Saturdays Warrior? The original cast was filled with family members of the King Sisters.

Tiffany said...

No answers to anything but YES vinegar on my chips is a MUST!!!!!! I remember when I helped you move and you had the pan with fat in it that you said you made your chips in. I must try making homemade ones--yet another reason your mother, you and I need to do lunch. Among other things we can discuss will be the chip making process.
Email me with some dates. Love ya!

Lilian said...

Um.... I remember actually seeing the Carol Burnett Show and Lawrence Welk. But the others, no.

And I do remember Hee Haw.

And I will NEVER, EVER, in the entire eternity of my soul EVER EVER EVER forget the absolute deliciousness of homemade hamburgers and chipies on a Saturday night.