Sunday, March 18, 2012

WHAT.A.WEEK!!!!!!

Why is it that some weeks just meander on by with the daily routines and other weeks are filled to over-flowing with stuff!!?! I sometimes wish that the days and weeks could just "average" out. This past week has been a whirlwind for me. Here's my list:

Weekend- Caitlin came home for the week for her spring break.

Monday morning- I was up at 5 am to take Mike to his surgery appointment. I waited there with him for 3 hours before they took him to surgery. It made me wonder why I had to get up at 5 am. I didn't get home until about 1:00 pm.

Monday afternoon/evening- Caitlin wanted a quilt for her birthday (17th). I bought the fabrics before she came home for break and was just starting the project Monday afternoon. The picture below is of the 10 fabrics chosen for her quilt. All afternoon and evening was spent cutting this fabric into 80 squares (and I couldn't find my rotary cutter) and sewing them randomly back together. AM I CRAZY!?! Don't answer that.


Tuesday- The original plan was to take Tuesday off work and spend the day with Caitlin at Gardner Village. I really needed the time to work on the quilt, so... we spent a couple of hours at the Gateway instead. By the time evening came I had finished sewing the entire quilt top. Whew!!!

Wednesday- I went to work and I was glad to be there. I wanted to come home and forget about the quilt until Thursday. The house needed some attention and it was Andy's birthday. So I went to Andy and Kristin's for a party. I can't believe my firstborn is 34 years old!!!

Thursday- I had to be in Salt Lake at 8 am to pick up Mike. He had undergone foot surgery as part of a study. Now he was all bandaged up and in a boot. Poor guy (I haven't heard one complaint from him the entire week... seriously). My plan was to spend the day caring for him, and I think I did, but... I was running from store to store trying to find backing and batting for the quilt. So while he reclused (without complaint) I continued work on the quilt Thursday night. I did one of my favorite quilt tricks (to get the job done faster). I laid the top and bottom pieces of the quilt on the floor, right sides together, then I put the batting on the very top. I pinned it all together taking care to match and then trim everything perfectly (I am an Apollonian you know), and then I sewed it all together leaving about a 12 inch opening to turn it all right-side-out. Hence, the edges of the quilt are all finished before it is even tied. After tying it all you do is slip-stitch to close the 12 inch opening. And it is done!

Friday- Back at work (I never thought of work as a rest from my labors before). I rushed home after work because my mom (who had a small window of opportunity) was coming over to help me put the quilt on the frames. Shortly after my mom left, my niece Rebecca came over to spend the evening with us. I had the quilt tied and off the frames by 6:45, and then me and Becca went to the store to buy birthday supplies for Caitlin (balloons, breakfast food, ice cream and candles). When we got home we made Caitlin's cake. After Becca left, I slip-stitched the 12 inch opening. At which point Caitlin came home, and at 12:01 am I said, "happy birthday" and gave her the finished quilt. She loves it!!!


Saturday- Happy Birthday Caitlin!!! St. Patrick's Day. I made Caitlin one of her favorite breakfasts. Had family over at noon for cake and ice-cream. Took Caitlin to Five Alls for dinner. The house is a wreak (by my standard). Went to bed way late... as I had done every night this week (thanks daylight savings time... no LOL here).




Sunday morning- 12:45 am this morning awakened to the noise, and I mean noise, of five smoke alarms going off. Running from alarm to alarm to figure out which one started it cause that's the only one that will end it. The smoke alarms were going off every ten minutes for well over an hour, in fact, the longer it took us to solve the problem, the alarms went off more frequently. We finally solved (temporarily) the issue. My poor hubby with his surgeried, booted foot had to climb a ladder (still not a negative murmur from him) to spray the detectors with canned air and replace the batteries. I replaced some as well. It was such a commotion. We were finally in bed about 2:30.

Sunday afternoon- I went to church where I had a difficult time keeping my eyes open. But sacrament meeting was so good. I taught a Sunday School lesson and then enjoyed a wonderful relief society lesson. Church was very uplifting for me today. Much of what was taught... was just what I needed to hear.

Sunday evening- Decided to document my week on my blog. I didn't even do a classics and favorites this week... too busy. Now I'm going to sit with my booted hubby and then catch up on some of your blog posts that I've missed. Unfortunately the tone of this post sounds a bit "murmur-ish", but all really is well. Tomorrow is the beginning of a new week... and the calender is looking pretty good until Thursday. I think I'll have time to wash the dishes. Maybe.

8 comments:

Lilian said...

I love Caitlin's quilt!!

Tiffany said...

I'm tired just from reading this.

But oh my word-the quilt is fabulous! Love it!

The last time I went to Five Alls I was pregnant with Drew. I just told Mike we should go there in April for our anniversary. He just blew me off. Hmmm-we'll see about that. I'm going to MAKE him go now!

Georgia said...

What a week!! You deserve to take this week off after all the busyness business.

Best wishes to your hubby and his healing foot. You both should put your feet up for a few days!

I LOVE the fabrics you chose for Caitlin's quilt and it turned out beautifully (it didn't hurt that it was wrapped around a beautiful girl).

AnJ. said...

I'm tired too! Life just never seemst to slow down.

Love the quilt!

Melwel said...

what a week...you are a good momma!

Paula said...

What? You didn't want to risk ordering a cake from Dick's?

Bea said...

I din't think you were murmuring, but I do think you can brag at what you accomplished and are still surviving, AND with a smile on your face!!!!!!

Margie said...

What a busy busy week Les!! I am so impressed with Caitlin's quilt too. I love the colors and the two of you look so cute posing with the finished product! You are a talented mom!