Friday, April 17, 2009

Family Friday: Featuring My Niece Rebecca

I had to start Family Friday with Rebecca (as I mentioned previously the first and last FF features were pre-determined, everyone in between was picked randomly), it was because of her that I got the idea for the series.

One Friday morning a few months ago I was on my daily walk and was just passing Granpa and Granma's house when I decided to go in and say "hi". They were just getting ready to eat breakfast and Becca (who is usually there on Fridays) was setting the table. I was invited to stay and eat with them. We all sat down together, blessed the food and started to eat. Granma had just made some fabulous raspberry freezer jam and there was a plate of toast on the table all ready for the delicious jam to be spread on. I ate some toast and near the end of the meal saw that there was one slice left that nobody was taking. I really wanted it, the jam was sooooo good! When I picked it up Becca said as serious as can be, "I was going to eat that piece." I looked at her plate where there was almost a full slice of toast just sitting there. "Becca you still have a piece on your plate." I was genuinely confused. Her face broke out in the biggest smile, "I'm just being like Granpa, that's what he always says!" She got me hook, line, and sinker. I laughed so hard which pleased her very much. That was exactly the kind of trick that Granpa pulls on all of us.

When Becca was a toddler she didn't like me at all. When I came over to her house she'd run down the hall to her bedroom and shut the door. Every few minutes she'd open the door and peek out to see if I was still there. Once in a while Granma and I would arrange to meet at a designated spot and we'd walk together. The minute Becca saw that I was walking towards them she'd sink back into the recesses of the stroller as if to say, "if I can't see you, you can't see me." I'm not sure when things changed but I'm glad that they did. Just a few weeks ago I had a voicemail on my phone from Becca saying, "Auntie Lesley I love you."

She is a smart little girl and so funny. Once at a church activity (we live in the same ward) where Mike was all dressed up and playing a part in a murder/mystery, Becca looked up at me and said, "your man is silly." Last summer at our ward campout she kept our campfire group in stitches with all of the funny things she said.

Once while looking at my family picture she pointed at 18 month old Caitlin and said, "that's me."

"No Becca, that's Caitlin."

"No, that's me." No matter what I said she wouldn't be convinced that it was a baby Caitlin and not a baby Becca (she can be very strong willed).

When Granma came into the room Becca said, "Granma, that's me." Granma knew exactly who it was but....

"Yes sweetheart that's you."

Becca turned around and gave me the most triumphant look and said, "it's me."

Rebecca truly is delightful to be around. We love her and are so grateful that we have her in our family.

Becca checking out her "makeover" at our family "girly party" last summer

8 comments:

Bea said...

Thanx love, you are a great influence in everyone's life. I am looking forward to this series. Rebecca is MY youngest Grandchild so in my opinion a good place to start. She has a mind like a steel trap. And she has learned a lot of G'Pa's tricks. I worry about my future generations, ALL of the Grandkids have been exposed to Granpa. :o)

Lilian said...

Becca is truly a Marsden through and through!! She's a fun little girl that definitely keeps us laughing!

Aimee said...

I love that you are doing this! I loved teaching Becca in sunbeams, I swear, sometimes I thought those sunbeams knew more about that gospel than I do!

Teresa Davidson said...

I had no idea that Becca was your niece! She comes to my house twice a week and she is such a hoot to be around! She definitely makes my day easier because she is so good entertaining my daycare kids. We also have some very interesting conversations. You are one lucky Aunt.

Stecky said...

I am glad you started with Becca. (that isn't your Becky is it?) She is so fun. We see who can touch the other one and if we can disrupt a school concert all the better.

Melissa said...

I love that story about Granma and the Caitlin picture! That is so funny! Now thats what I call a spoiled brat, but I saw it with just as much love as Granma always says to us :) Becca is such a sweetheart! At the Christmas party during dinner she told me that she could play a song on the piano. I teasingly told her I didn't believe her so she walked right up and began playing while someone was making an announcement. What a pill!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

What a funny girl :-) She looks adorable in the picture. I don't know her very well so it's good we get to see her at the beach house in June and spend time with her.

Margie said...

I'm looking forward to your Family Friday!! I read it last Friday, but I was in such a hurry I didn't take time to post a comment.

Becca is such a cute girl. I loved your Becca stories. What a doll. She is such a smart little girl. I ran into Becca and Grandma last Monday at the Distribution Center. She makes me smile everytime I see her!!