Throughout my life I have known many women who I admire and respect....the women in my family are no exception; they are all wonderful. The first of the women in the family that I am featuring is my daughter-in-law Emily. My very first memory of Emily was when she was in high school. She came to our home one day with a friend and they were in the basement talking with Jeremy, I was in the room immediately above the room that they were in and I could hear their conversation clearly as it drifted up the stairs. Emily was telling them a funny story that involved ice-cream (you know the one Em). They were laughing and I laughed too; it was a funny story.
When Jeremy and Emily started to date we were immediately endeared to her. I thought that she was such a cute girl, and so friendly and fun to talk to as well. That is one of the things I love the most about Emily, she is herself and we've always been able to talk very comfortably with each other.
One of my memories of Emily is when she, Jeremy, and I went skiing at Deer Valley during spring break in 2001. I hadn't been skiing for several years and the first run was a little to much for me. Part way down the slope I decided to "crawl" the rest of the way. Jeremy had already taken off down the hill, but Emily came back to help me and stayed with me until I finally felt that I could get up and continue skiing (I quite happily spent the rest of the day on the bunny hill).
Jeremy left for his mission to Canada in September of 2002 and Emily left the following February to serve a mission in Brasil. I can still remember the last time we saw her before she left. She came to our home one evening to say good-bye to me, Michael, and Caitlin and she brought me a gift; a beautiful bracelet which I treasure. When it was time for her to leave we had hugs all around, I remember her standing at the front door and looking up at us as if for "one last time" before she left. Caitlin and I stood hugging each other and crying as Emily drove away. We didn't know then that Emily would someday be a part of our family.
Jeremy and Emily returned from their missions within two months of each other and were married in the Salt Lake Temple on 05-05-05, and well....the rest is history.
A few interesting and fun things to know about Emily: She is a wonderful homemaker, her home is always spotlessly clean and organized. She is very creative and crafty; whether it's a party or a dinner, she knows how to bring a table or a room to life with her decorating skills. She loves to try new recipes and is a wonderful cook. She is very family oriented, and loves family gatherings. She is loyal. She is a wonderful wife and mother, I have been especially impressed that she taught Mason how to do baby signing. It just amazes me to watch Mason communicate in that way. She is always willing to serve others in any way that she can; last summer she spent an afternoon school shopping with Caitlin and I, and more recently she did all of the decorating for Caitlin's 16th birthday party. She is a make-up artist; at our family "girls night" last summer she did makeovers for everyone. She does whatever she is asked to do in the church diligently, her current calling is Young Women Camp Director and I'm confident it will be a memorable camp experience for the YW in her ward. She loves animals. She is sensitive to the spirit. She speaks Portuguese. She does really great impersonations. She graduated from BYU in 2007 with a degree in Sociology. She enjoys learning new things. She's a great hostess. She is fun to be with.I am so grateful that Jeremy and Emily found each other. She is an important part of our Leger family as well as our "extended" family, and we love her.
One of several pom poms that Emily made to decorate Caitlin's 16th birthday party
Emily doing Jessica's make-up at our "girls night" last summer
7 comments:
Great post about a great young lady. Thanx for giving us some insights to EmBem. She has always treated us well, and we feel comfortable with her. She even listens when we talk about England. Now that takes courage!!!! :o)
You are such a nice mother-in-law. I don't think my mother-in-law would ever write such a nice post about me... Emily seems like a very nice girl.
Thank you for all the kind things you wrote about me, Lesley. I got teary-eyed just thinking of the time when I was leaving on my mission. I hoped so badly that I would be in your family one day, but did not know what the future would bring. I feel so blessed to have you as my mother-in-law, and am so happy to be apart of your family! I love you so much--thank you for the sweet post. ;)
Emily is a sweet girl and it is fun to have her be a part of the family. Adam was admitedly overwhelmed when he was dating me, having come from a small family who isn't very close...then to be thrown into the Marsden clan was a bit much for him. Emily talked to him and made him feel very comfortable and I appreciated that a lot. It was good for him to talk to another "In-Law" :)
I have always liked Emily. She has such a pleasant personality. She's beautiful and Jeremy did really well marrying such a cutie :-) She is so poised, too. She didn't even flinch when once when I called her EmBem it came out Em-BUM in Filipino accent. Tara and AJ were mortified that Emily's name accidentally got associated with BUM, but Emily didn't bat an eye and just kept talking to me :-)
I really love Embem! I have always been impressed with her. My boys love her too. They still talk about the fun they had the time Cory and I were out of town and Jeremy and Emily stayed with them. I will also never forget watching her chasing Jeremy at the beach with seaweed wrapped around her like she was a sea monster! Hilarious! (It was just after they were married.)
I have been so slow the last few days to read blogs!!
I love Emily!! She is a very talented sweet person. She is always willing to share her gifts and talents with others. I love talking to Emily and learning from her. What a cute family Jeremy, Emily and Mason are. I love how Emily likes adventure and to travel. I can so relate to her!! I am glad Emily is in our family too!!
Post a Comment