Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Mike & Les: Together Forever part 2...

"Wake up, wake up, it's April 15th!!" That was me on the morning of my wedding, running around the house to all of the bedrooms and waking up the entire family. I couldn't believe that the day was finally here.

It was a beautiful spring morning, Mike and his Grandma Richards picked me up at my house and the three of us drove to the Salt Lake Temple together. When we arrived at the temple, Mike and I were able to spend some time together sitting in the beautiful Celestial Room before we were escorted to the small sealing room on the 2nd floor. There were only about 14 people in attendance, including Mike and I and President Boyer who sealed us.

After we were married we went outside to greet the rest of our family and friends and to take pictures. I came outside through the East gate entrance (where the brides and grooms come out now) but Mike came from the north (where everybody else comes out now). When Mike saw me he ran the length of the sidewalk to get to me, everyone thought that was so tender. After we were finished with having our pictures taken we went to the Lion House where we had our wedding breakfast (it's really a lunch) which was hosted by Mike's parents, and that evening my parents hosted our reception which was held at our church. Now you may laugh at the colors of the tuxes, but our wedding reception was very fashionable in 1977. It really was a wonderful day, although there were a few "minor" mishaps that occurred. While changing out of my wedding dress at the temple the zipper broke (maybe in the comment section my Mom will express her feelings about that), later in the day when setting up the reception at the church my brothers spilled several gallons of punch on the floor. The mishaps really didn't bother me, I was married to Mike and to me that was all that mattered.
Epilogue: It has been 32 years since our wedding day, and so much of it is just a vague memory now. As I look at the picture above I momentarily step out of my skin and become the observer so to speak. What I see is a young couple who are happy and in love. They have absolutely no idea what their future will be. They don't yet know about the challenges or the joys that having a family of their own will bring. They don't know that they will go through the trial of losing a precious daughter to death, and that that very experience will strengthen and unite them and their children in the commitment to be an eternal family more than ever before, and that their faith in the Savior and their gratitude for Him would increase so much. That very experience brought a deeper perspective to what Lesley said to Michael on their first date...."I am going to get married in the temple...."

I am one of the two people that know them the very best. I know that they love each other so much more than they did on April 15, 1977 and I'm sure back then that they could not have imagined that possible. I know that 32 years from now they will love each other even more....that too, is hard to imagine to be possible.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

I have been loving this! You two are truly examples of how eternal companions should love each other. I especially love the yellow tux my dad is wearing. When I saw grandma in that picture I thought she was Lilian, but I decided that didn't make any sense lol. Thanks for being great examples to all of us. I have a picture from my wedding day, my favorite picture...we are walking out of the temple hand in hand and even after only three years I think to myself...wow you have no idea what love is yet. Thanks for being so awesome and for giving us something to strive for!

Lilian said...

Hey Melissa... Lilian is the one in the PINK dress standing next to your dad in the picture. I was in the 4th grade!!!!!

I remember your excitement Les! I remember you waking the household up to let us know that it was FINALLY April 15th! I remember Michael running and I also remember carrying the basket of flowers in your reception line. BiBi and I would get David to go get us the mint squares and we would hide them in our baskets so we had a snack!

Loved the entire Mike & Les Story.
Love ya,
Mean it!

Tiffany said...

Loved the whole series-but especially the end. It made me cry! You and Mike are great examples of how a marriage should be. I love to hear you talk about him. It is so obvious how in love you still are 32 years later... (We both know not everyone has those same blessings in their marriage!)

Bea said...

What a tender post. It brought tears to my eyes as you referred to Ashleigh, and little do any of us know what is in store for us. But to be here 32 years later with a very positive attitude speaks volumes of the person you are. :o).So you want me to relate what happened about "the dress".
I made the wedding dress out of material that was very
"user friendly".
As you describe, in the process of removing the dress the zipper broke and the sisters in the Temple were very upset, wringing their hands etc. I smiled through my teeth and said,"just let me have the dress", more hand wringing. Really, all I wanted was to get the dress, get outside the Temple, and SWEAR. I also remember that on the way home from the Lion House we were all (not you and Mike) squeezed into the car and the kids wanted Dad to drive down Wall St. the one by the capitol that has a very steep hill. We had a lot of people in the car, I was nervous, but......... down Wall St. we went to the delight of everyone but me, with everyone yelling, screaming, and cheering. :o) The things we remember. The zipper was replaced, my dress got finished, and You were walking on air and didn't give a "reservoir" about anything except Mikee.
Another memory was of your Grandpa. He looked in amazement at the transformstion of the W.B. 3rd Ward cultural hall and asked,"who is paying for all of this?" good question :o)
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY and many more.

Stecky said...

Beautiful.Thanks for blessing my life again today

adrienne said...

I have loved reading your love story! I also love that you are Mike are still so in love with each other that everyone who knows you can tell. What a great example of a strong marriage you are!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Happy 32nd, Mike and Les. I hope you are enjoying today.

em said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
em said...

What a sweet post, Lesley! I loved looking at the pictures, and can just tell by the look on your faces that you were, and still are in love!
I do the same thing where I look back at pictures when Jeremy and I first started dating, and wonder if those two young kids had any idea back then, what events would take place over the next 10 years!!
I love that Mike ran to be with you when he came out the wrong door. I can see Jeremy doing something like that! I appreciate the love and tenderness Mike has always shown to you, Lesley. He has been such a good example to Jeremy, and Jeremy has that same love for me and our little family.
This story made me cry, and now I can't stop...;) Hope you had a great anniversary! Thank you both for being such wonderful examples to us. Love you!

Kylee said...

This was so sweet it made me cry. You are so talented at expressing your feelings when you write. You can tell you and Mike have a special relationship. Thanks for sharing and being such a great example of how marriage should be. I hope Joe and I have as many happy years as you two :o)